Resize the Glock grips. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Resize the Glock grips.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have personally measured the grip of a Glock 19 gen 3 and a gen 4 with a micrometer. The difference is minuscule, and not even slightly noticeable.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #12

Even with the change out backstraps?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1238 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1282

Robar does great work but I have to agree with those who said look at a 19Gen4 instead. The naked backstrap (and trigger pull) is 2mm shorter than the Gen3 and that makes a big difference. If you add the medium backstrap it's the same as the Gen3 and the large strap makes it 2mm larger.

I just bought a 23Gen4 and looked hard at the Gen3 but loved the feel of the Gen4 with no strap. When I put on the medium strap it feels like my 22Gen2 so I have flexibility. Can't decide which way to go but like having the choice.

I would think you'd come out ahead buying a Gen4 and selling your Gen3 instead of shipping it off to Robar and the cost of the conversion. The only down side is the reliability issues of some 19Gen4s. Glock is still slow to fix this problem completely but it seems better with recent guns.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most shooters go and have a grip reduction job to aid in shooting (or because they like the look).
I did a lot of investigation as decided to go with Ben at Boresight Solutions in Miami Florida. Ben is busy and you can expect to leave your lower for a month or two. But the work and the wait is well worth it.
I shoot and compete in Steel Competition and one of my guns is a Boresight Solutions modified G17 Gen3. It is a 2005 model and I jet never felt comfortable shooting it so it sat in the safe (have smaller hands and had hand surgery so the big grip was uncomfortable).

I meet with Ben and after going throughout my needs, we came up with the following:

Remove and reshape the back of the grip, remove the finger groves on the front of the grip, re-stipple the entire grip 360 degrees. I also had the finger guard rounded, and an upper cut in the rear to accommodate a high grip (use to 1911 grips). But it did not stop there, I had the bottom cut to accommodate G19 mag's and beveled for quick reloads. A finishing touch of stippling on the left from strap where my left hand thumb goes and done.
Photos are attached:
Resize the Glock grips. - Glock Forum

Resize the Glock grips. - Glock Forum
NRA LIFE Member, GSSF MEMBER, Custom Fusion CCO 9mm & 38 SUPER Race Gun, Nighthawk Lady Hawk 9mm Custom & 38Super, Kimber Pro Aegis II Bobtail, Glock G19 Gen 4, G17, G26 G4, G34, Sig P238,RIA 38 Super, Timber Wolf-AA 22LR, GSG-1911-22LR.

Last edited by girphoto; 06-13-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thoughts now

First off hello..I'm new to being on site. Seems like there's plenty of knowledge and experience here. And some good people too. So any sdvise is welcome. I've got a G23 and am debating a grip reduction and undercutting trigger guard as it bites the heck out of my finger after a while of shooting. Did you get a higher grip angle after reduction? This is gonna be my carry gun and would like any advise on upgrades you would do to your weapon. LikeI said I'm new to site and appreciate any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Great Glock Grip Reductions & Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Hi all,
Was looking at the FTF Glock project last week. I was looking at the Robar grip reduction website and find that their grip+texturing looks like hell. I like my G19 but the grip fit is hideous. Anyone familiar with gripreduction.com? I was looking at doing myself as well but I don't think this is a DIYer's type project. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd like to REALLY shave down the size of my grip. I have these small hands... LOL
Thanks.
I have shorter fingers so I really love the grip reduction for my Glocks. I have one of my old friends, David Bowie of Bowie Tactical Concepts, do my grip modifications and reductions. His work is super excellent and very reasonable. Check out his site at: http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/
I love the way my grips feel after he does his magic and some of my students have had David do their Glocks too, all with the same great feel and superior work.
This is the latest one he did for my use in night matches and for home defense. He milled in the Delta Point and the suppressor sights as well as doing the grip work. I'll look for a better picture of my actual grip modifications, but his site has great pics of his work.
1354847701808.jpg  
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 12-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default More Grip Modification Work

Here are the better pictures of my grip modification work on my G34:
curt-howells-grip-1.jpg   curt-howells-grip-4.jpg   curt-howells-grip-6.jpg  
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 12-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That looks great! Thats quality work. Nice to hear you and your friends have used Bowie over and over. Return business speaks for itself. Gonna call him tomorrow. Thanks for reply, let you know how it goes wants I make decision.
therukh Likes This 
Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beautiful work . What kind of sights are those ? That's exactly what im looking for. Thanks

Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Liked 97 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2handguns View Post

Bottom line, any weapon needs to fit the handler to be effective. I believe that the way a weapon fits a persons hand is often the most gloossed over point when making a handgun selection.
This is so true. Comfortable grip is one of the most important criteria to me, and it's exactly why I sold my G21 and have taken Glock off my shopping list permanently.

I never understood why people would choose a gun that they had to modify out of the box. There are too many (better, IMO) choices out there.