Resize the Glock grips.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Resize the Glock grips.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Resize the Glock grips.

Hi all,
Was looking at the FTF Glock project last week. I was looking at the Robar grip reduction website and find that their grip+texturing looks like hell. I like my G19 but the grip fit is hideous. Anyone familiar with gripreduction.com? I was looking at doing myself as well but I don't think this is a DIYer's type project. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd like to REALLY shave down the size of my grip. I have these small hands... LOL
Thanks.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go latch on to a G19 Gen-4 and see how that fits your sweaty little paws. You just may need to trade the Gen 3 in.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
I like my G19 but the grip fit is hideous.
Should have bought a Sigma.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1979 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 587

My hands are not large either. I find the G19 OK but could be a little smaller. The G36 is about perfect. My wife had taken my G19 but the grip fit was even worse for her. I bought her a Ruger SR9c and she really likes it. She did not even want the finger grip extension. Much smaller grip. 10+1/9mm. She tore up the 5" center of the target. A lot better feel than the G26. I got my G19 back but am considering an SR9c for myself. The trigger is better than the Glock but the take down is more complicated. Meanwhile I can carry the G36. 6+1/45ACP 27 oz fully loaded. A little smaller than the G19. Lately because of clothing considerations, I have been carrying my SP101. It seems to hide better. I have a new holster ordered for the G36 that should remedy that.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Lately because of clothing considerations, I have been carrying my SP101. It seems to hide better. I have a new holster ordered for the G36 that should remedy that.
I ended up buying a Walther PPS since it is the only pistol on the market that I handled and felt right. The G19 has a much larger capacity but the grips are so thick I can barely keep it on target due to shooting high and right since I have to hold it wrong.
I never could get my SP101 comfortable. Too thick I think. These days I just keep it close to the bed instead.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #6

I had the grip reduction and texturizing done by robar one year ago, it made such an improvement on my performance with the weapon, I highly recommend it. As far as the looks, of course it is a subjective thing, and I'm interested in function first. I will say this, that my group of tactical shooters do not like the way it looks when I out shoot them now cuz I'm faster and more accurate than I used to be before the robar treatment. I had the medium reduction as well as a few other customizations completed and I could not be happier. It's a Glock 21, it fits my hand "like a glove".

I suggest you feel the grips. Make your own choices. At the shot show last year I had a chance to try the different grips that robar had on display at their booth and the feel of the medium reduction on the back strap coupled with the feel of the texturizing sold me instantly. Do not rely on someone elses opinion and definately do not rely on pictures. Many of my co workers like the look of the texure in person, and the feel of a well fitting gun performing in your hand will make you practically forget about the looks.

Bottom line, any weapon needs to fit the handler to be effective. I believe that the way a weapon fits a persons hand is often the most gloossed over point when making a handgun selection.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Look At.....

I am a 1911 shooter and just went back to a Glock 19 Gen 4.
The grip is comfortable., but not a 1911. I have talked with the owner of
GripReductions.com

He has many different styles of grip finishes and shaping.
I am planning to send him my new 19 to shave off the back and reduce the finger groves.
I already cut the trigger guard with my Dremill at the range until I had a perfect fit to my strong hand.

Give him a call and he can turn around the gun in about 1 week.

NRA LIFE Member, GSSF MEMBER, Custom Fusion CCO 9mm & 38 SUPER Race Gun, Nighthawk Lady Hawk 9mm Custom & 38Super, Kimber Pro Aegis II Bobtail, Glock G19 Gen 4, G17, G26 G4, G34, Sig P238,RIA 38 Super, Timber Wolf-AA 22LR, GSG-1911-22LR.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all. Actually, I've done a lot of research and am probably going to tackle this myself. There is no magic behind it. I'm going to shoot for a perfect fit to my hands. I'll start with some wood block mach ups, which means it will be very time consuming. When I have one contoured to my liking, I'll do some experimenting with marine grade epoxy and pigments to get the cured color resemblence close. After that, it will be go time. I have more than adequate tools in my shop.

Last edited by fixxer; 12-30-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

Default Grips

So, How is it going with the grip redesign?
Let's see some pics!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I stripped the pistol, did some relief cuts and roughed up inside the frame to give the resin some tooth. I filled it with Accuglas from Brownell's (resin mixed with black pigment). I had to go to work out of the country and will start again when I get back. I am going to buy a small drum wheel sander when I get back for these projects. Nothing notable yet. I will post pics when I am done. That might be awhile though. Still trying to decide what to use to replace the textured finish. I don't trust that roll-on bed liner crap I see people using because I've dealt with it in pickups and it is junk. I'm going to try to get a reputable Line-X or Superliner job on it instead. I'm going to be at the mercy of their schedule if I can get them to do it. I'm also building a reloading bench and starting reloading, tearing down/building up a new Remmy 700 SPS Tactical, fixing a POS Maverick shotgun, fitting my "good" Browning 12ga stock, sending back a bad scope from Nikon, etc... I think I have A.D.D or something. LOL