Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Reshaping grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What do yoiu use to reshape and texture your grips? What tools would I need? Is a dremel and soldering Iron enough? Do I need any special bits?
I would like to see some set ups, so if you've done any work like this show me.
The stippling can be done with a soldering iron or by dabbing various compounds on the handle (bed liner coat, epoxy/aggregate mixtures, etc) but reshaping is more involved. A dremel is too small to get the whole grip uniform. Some people have posted that they've used files for the shaping. You'll need something similar in width to a belt sander for uniformity. Personally, I don't see why a sanding block and patience wouldn't work.
Brownell's has a nice Gun Tech article written on just this topic:
GunTech : Glock Grip Reduction & Custom Beavertails - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
I handled the new Gen 4 without a backstrap insert and found I don't like the grip so I'll just hang onto my Glock and do the grip reduction. I just picked up the acragel today at a local gun shop and am going to start this process soon. Do a search on youtube for "grip reduction" and you'll find a few videos on this process as well. It's pretty straight forward. There are a lot of blog postings on stippling with a soldering iron.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!