Really confused now! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Really confused now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a 19 since 1992 and the 9mm will overpenetrate with hardball but you shouldn't carry it with that ammo. Using modern SD ammo it shouldn't be any worse off than anything else. What I think you will find out however especially in Florida is that the 19 is too big to carry around all day. I keep mine in a safe in my car and will carry it in unusual circumstances of higher risk areas. Typically I carry my Keltec p3at in my pocket. No one will ever know you have it and I find the 380 with SD ammo adequate for most any need. I had a pack of wild dogs knock over my rabbit cage a few years ago and I had to use my ppk-s to take out one of the dogs that was holding his ground with me with one of my rabbits in his mouth. One 90g hand loaded hollow point stopped him in his tracks. Actually surprise me since he was about 90lbs. I really hated to shoot him but had no choice. I had already call dog warden on them twice.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #32

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
And the Glock 19, while a very good gun, is also a very large gun..
Say what? Compared to an LCP?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #33

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6
In a gun fight, it is not center mass or over-penetration that causes a problem. The problem is the bullets that miss and stray into bystanders having nothing to do with the situation. Those who have issues with CCW, personal protection encounters, weapon selection, practice, maintenance, recoil, and the like should not own, handle, or operate a firearm. Actually, anyone having the mentioned issues should reconsider moving to a safer environment, or hire a bodyguard.
What he said.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #34

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijoh69
Ok gang, I went to the required CCW class last night in preparation for getting my Florida CCW license. I was all convinced I wanted to buy a Glock 19 as my carry weapon.
After going over the Florida statutes re being responsible for where a bullet ends up (God forbid I should ever have to actually shoot someone!) I'm starting to re-think the
wisdom of carrying a 9mm. Our instructor, a police chief, says most 9mm could very possibly penetrate a human body & possibly harm an innocent bystander! He said NEVER draw your weapon unless you shoot to kill, in the case of defending your home/vehicle. He carries a .32 as a concealed weapon, his duty weapon is the Springfield 1911 .45. The .32 fits nicely in his pocket. I do have a S&W .357 now. So, do I buy the Glock 19, or a .32 or 380? What are your thoughts? As you may have guessed I am a newbie at this so I appreciate everyone's opinions! Thanks in advance!
There are way too many 9mm rounds out there that is designed to not pass through layers of people and object once the round is fired. Explore some frangible or hollow points if this is a huge concern for you.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a relative on the Cleveland Oh. police department they use 9mm and the ammo is federal hydroshock and they dont have any over penetration issues and more one shot stops.They do all there own testing also.I also have a brother on the police force in Waco Tx. they use glock in .40 cal. used also with no over penetration and the Maryland state police use 357sig with no problem. What im trying to say is these organizations use these calibers and did all the testing to cover there butts so it comes down to what a person can handle as far as recoil

Last edited by cbibb; 10-09-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I'm not calling BS, yet, but I find no such load from Federal. They do make a +P+ 9mm, but it is not a Hydra-Shok.

There is no such thing as a .40 S&W +P+ in any grain weight.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

To minimize the possibility of over penetration opt for a lighter faster hollow point. In 9mm a 115 gr +P or +P+ JHP is very unlikely to pass through. Overpentration is not nearly as much of an issue as some "experts" want to make it out to be. Misses are an issue.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2221 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
To minimize the possibility of over penetration opt for a lighter faster hollow point. In 9mm a 115 gr +P or +P+ JHP is very unlikely to pass through. Overpentration is not nearly as much of an issue as some "experts" want to make it out to be. Misses are an issue.
Just ask the NYPD.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #39
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
I'm not calling BS, yet, but I find no such load from Federal. They do make a +P+ 9mm, but it is not a Hydra-Shok.

http://georgia-arms.com/new40smithandwesson155grgolddothollowpointp50pk-1.aspx

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Wouldn't that be a regular 10mm round?

581.8 ft pounds with that .40s&w+p+.

483.7 ft pounds on the bulk 10mm.

I stood corrected.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.