Really confused now! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Really confused now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums
I have a G27 and I'm just not sure I'm liking the .40 feel. The G27 wants to hope out of my fat hands. I tried Houge grips and now Talon grips....took some lessons on shooting and I'm holding the gun correctly but it really flips up. I rented a G30 .45 and liked it a bit better and I absolulty love my wifes new M&P 9c...same size as the G26/27 but it just feels right in my hands.
That's the nature of the beast when it comes to the .40. I do enjoy shooting my g22 but not all day. IMO the other calibers seem "tame" after putting 200 rounds down range with a .40. Also the m&p is an excellent feeling weapon.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #22

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think you need to think about this, in most states if you pull your weapon and point it at someone there is a good chance you will go to jail. When I took my concealed weapons class the instructor talked a lot about the law. You can't just point a gun at people for the fun of it. He also said if you do point a gun at someone make sure someone hears you say, STOP, I HAVE A GUN AND I WILL KILL YOU. This might sound dumb but he was trying to stress that you feel your life is being threatened and you are trying to defend yourself. At that point you can defend yourself with anything, but in the courts eyes if you feel your life is in danger, you have the right to pull it out. I like a 4" 1911.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #23

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

In a gun fight, it is not center mass or over-penetration that causes a problem. The problem is the bullets that miss and stray into bystanders having nothing to do with the situation. Those who have issues with CCW, personal protection encounters, weapon selection, practice, maintenance, recoil, and the like should not own, handle, or operate a firearm. Actually, anyone having the mentioned issues should reconsider moving to a safer environment, or hire a bodyguard.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

There are a lot of things to consider when carrying. First of all train with your weapon of choice. Secondly mental train yourself thinking of various scenarios. What if! Because heaven forbid if the time ever comes you will have to act without hesitation and out of instinct. You will not have time to evaluate, make a decision and then act. Back to the point! Another consideration is certainly the caliber and size of the weapon you choose. I am a larger caliber guy preferably a 40 or 45 Cal self defense weapon. However a consideration to think about, is are you going to carry a heavier larger caliber weapon with you at all times when you are out and might need it. To explain this I carry a Kahr P-380 380 Cal. Pistol in the warm summer months when heavy clothes or a jacket are out! In the cooler months I carry a Rock River 1911 45 ACP or a Glock Model 27 40 Cal. Although I would prefer to have one of the larger calibers on me I found myself leaving the 45 or the 40 in the truck in the warmer months. Which would do me no good should I need them while out of the truck. So I chose the smaller 380 Cal and carry Hornady Critical Defense ammunition in it. This way it being smaller, lighter and easier to conceal in the warmer months I will keep it with me all the time. Something to consider!

p-380-hand.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 1"x4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
And the Glock 19, while a very good gun, is also a very large gun. Sure it's the compact version of the G17 but take it from me. After 16 years of CCW I've determined that the ideal carry guns dimensions are "no more that 1" thick and no more than 4" tall from top of slide to bottom of mag well. Unless of course you can go through all your daily activities in a parka.
I agree completely. I carry a ruger LCP in guru wallet holster and a keltekp11.
very concealable and plenty of punch!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #26

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I carry a CZ P07 9MM in a leather belt holster. A baggy shirt is about all I need to conceal it. 15 and 1, so if I miss 16 times I figure I have it coming to me.

iphone-019.jpg  

Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03

There are a lot of things to consider when carrying. First of all train with your weapon of choice. Secondly mental train yourself thinking of various scenarios. What if! Because heaven forbid if the time ever comes you will have to act without hesitation and out of instinct. You will not have time to evaluate, make a decision and then act. Back to the point! Another consideration is certainly the caliber and size of the weapon you choose. I am a larger caliber guy preferably a 40 or 45 Cal self defense weapon. However a consideration to think about, is are you going to carry a heavier larger caliber weapon with you at all times when you are out and might need it. To explain this I carry a Kahr P-380 380 Cal. Pistol in the warm summer months when heavy clothes or a jacket are out! In the cooler months I carry a Rock River 1911 45 ACP or a Glock Model 27 40 Cal. Although I would prefer to have one of the larger calibers on me I found myself leaving the 45 or the 40 in the truck in the warmer months. Which would do me no good should I need them while out of the truck. So I chose the smaller 380 Cal and carry Hornady Critical Defense ammunition in it. This way it being smaller, lighter and easier to conceal in the warmer months I will keep it with me all the time. Something to consider!
Excellent advise

Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3462 Times on 1935 Posts
Likes Given: 19300

I believe one shot and done with it. I carry a G36 -230 grn. JHP. The velocity of the ,45 is between 800-900-FPS. so I pretty much know where that leads gonna be. Now they also make fragmenting hollow points in different calibers so check into it.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijoh69 View Post
Ok gang, I went to the required CCW class last night in preparation for getting my Florida CCW license. I was all convinced I wanted to buy a Glock 19 as my carry weapon.
After going over the Florida statutes re being responsible for where a bullet ends up (God forbid I should ever have to actually shoot someone!) I'm starting to re-think the
wisdom of carrying a 9mm. Our instructor, a police chief, says most 9mm could very possibly penetrate a human body & possibly harm an innocent bystander! He said NEVER draw your weapon unless you shoot to kill, in the case of defending your home/vehicle. He carries a .32 as a concealed weapon, his duty weapon is the Springfield 1911 .45. The .32 fits nicely in his pocket. I do have a S&W .357 now. So, do I buy the Glock 19, or a .32 or 380? What are your thoughts? As you may have guessed I am a newbie at this so I appreciate everyone's opinions! Thanks in advance!
I THINK U SHOULD STICK TO A 9mm. If you buy the right hollow points you don't need to worry about over penetration. Stick to 115GR bullets anything heavier than dat and you might over penetrate. And don't forget to stick to hollow points wich are recommended for self defense. Hollow points help minimize penetration depth.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3462 Times on 1935 Posts
Likes Given: 19300

Velocity-800-900 ftps. 230grn, JHP -.45 G-36 , Love it.