Really confused now! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Really confused now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3227 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijoh69 View Post
Thanks for the reply Texaswoodworker, but as I mentioned I have a .357 now, it does have tremendous kick, too big for a CCW IMHO; I did have a Colt 1911 .45 years ago, Wish I had it back, but that also would be "overkill" for a CCW, no pun intended.
My primary carry gun is a 1911 (CCO). I don't feel like I'm over doing it. Overkill is hard to achieve with a handgun. The best rise to the level of adequate.
Over penetration is a risk. So is missing the intended target. For that matter, having a gun inadequate to stop your attacker is a risk. Whenever firearms are used in life or death situations, there is going to a pretty big risk for someone. If your worried about over penetration, use lighter weight hollow points. That & practice a lot, so you hit what your aiming at.
Sorry, I don't see the .32 acp as the best answer to any number of SD questions, not when you can get .380 in itty bitty little pistols too. Sacrificing most of your performance on the alter of preventing any possibility of over penetration seems like a questionable trade off.
Buy what you like, be it Glock or whatever. I would set .380 as the minimum. YMMV.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
My primary carry gun is a 1911 (CCO). I don't feel like I'm over doing it. Overkill is hard to achieve with a handgun. The best rise to the level of adequate.
Over penetration is a risk. So is missing the intended target. For that matter, having a gun inadequate to stop your attacker is a risk. Whenever firearms are used in life or death situations, there is going to a pretty big risk for someone. If your worried about over penetration, use lighter weight hollow points. That & practice a lot, so you hit what your aiming at.
Sorry, I don't see the .32 acp as the best answer to any number of SD questions, not when you can get .380 in itty bitty little pistols too. Sacrificing most of your performance on the alter of preventing any possibility of over penetration seems like a questionable trade off.
Buy what you like, be it Glock or whatever. I would set .380 as the minimum. YMMV.
Very well said...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2747 Times on 1498 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Where is some of this info on 10 mm coming from? According to the ballistic tables the 10 mm shoots a 200 grain bullet at the same speed the 40 S&W shoots the 180 grain. With the 180 the 10 mm is 150-200 fps faster. I dont own a 40 or a 10. I do own a 380, 9mm, 45 ACP and a 357. My 380 is a Sig P238 which is a copy of the Colt Mustang. Single action carried cocked and locked with 6+1. Very easy to shoot and carry. Very fast to get back on target and accurate. 16 oz loaded. It would be a good choice and I carry it quite a bit. It is in my pocket right now in a DeSantis Super Fly. Another good choice would be a 38 spl or 357 mag snub nosed revolver. I have a Ruger SP101 in 357 and you can shoot 38spl in it. Right now it is loaded with 129 gr +P and my wife has it. It weighs 27 oz loaded and is very tame and very quick with the +P. There are several lighter snubbies out there by Ruger, S&W and Charter Arms. I only listed the USA made. Lighter will have more recoil. The smaller 9mm's have shorter barrels and a little less velocity. I have a Ruger SR9c. It is 28 oz loaded with the 10 round mag. Very easy to shoot and conceal. I traded my G19 for it as I have smaller hands and the G19 is a little large in the grip for me. The new Gen 4 is supposed to be better. The G19 is not that small so you might want to consider a G26. The only Glock that fits my hand is the G36 which is a 27 oz loaded 45 ACP. It is not for the recoil shy. I would stay away from the 32. It is a semi rimmed cartridge and prone to jams due to rim over. I really like the 45 but lately it seems I am carrying my 380 and or my 9mm.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Carry whatever you like, and load it with JHPs.

Overpenetration is unlikely to be much of a problem if you hit center mass with JHPs...whether 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp. Always know what's beyond your target, as center mass isn't such a cinch to hit outside of the range. I choose to carry 9mm and 45acp almost exclusively. Occasionally maybe my SP101 in 38/357.

The truth is, there are no absolutes when it comes to 9mm, 40sw, 357/38, and 45acp velocity. There are sub-900fps and 1200+fps JHP loads available from major ammo manufacturers for each of these calibers. If you looked hard enough, you could probably find lighter exotic loads that would reach 1500+ fps in any of these.

Find a gun you like in a caliber you shoot well. And then make an informed decision about what weight/velocity of defense ammo suits your needs and your gun best. I generally prefer 185-230gr 45acp and 124+gr 9mm.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Where is some of this info on 10 mm coming from? According to the ballistic tables the 10 mm shoots a 200 grain bullet at the same speed the 40 S&W shoots the 180 grain. With the 180 the 10 mm is 150-200 fps faster. I dont own a 40 or a 10.
I was thinking the same thing.

The 10mm was designed to be a fast, medium-heavy weight round....150-180gr @ 1200-1500 fps.

But anymore you have to go outta your way to get that stuff from Buffalo Bore, DoubleTap, etc. Most of the vanilla 10mm currently being produced by the major manufacturers is little more than an expensive 40sw.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #16

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

beretta m1032 tomcat loaded with corbon 60 gr. hp. 1000fps from that short barrel

or google glaser safety slugs.....no penetration

Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

With a good HP round and good shot placement a 9mm is jut fine. A G19 is a fine carry weapon. I'm not a Glock fan (it's more about the form over function for me) but there is no denying their effectiveness. Is your 357 carry friendly? If so you can get a good HP round and buy some time (as orangello said).

No matter what you get just practice..A LOT! make it second nature to be able to hit center mass if you had to to a BG. There are tons of great carry guns out here. I'm no as big a fan of some smaller calibers just because range and under-penetration can be an issue. You say you are in Fla so maybe that wont be as big an issue as you guys wear a lot less clothes than we do up here.

Muscle memory is a great thing when it comes to shooting. With enough practice you can get to where you are on target no matter what you're shooting. Practice/training..There is no substitute.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Carry whatever you like, and load it with JHPs.

Overpenetration is unlikely to be much of a problem if you hit center mass with JHPs...whether 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp. Always know what's beyond your target, as center mass isn't such a cinch to hit outside of the range.
agreed. JHP or EFMJ's, whatever, are some of the most reliable rounds you could buy for the 9mm since they expand reliably. always did read about it in the magazines until i did my jug test myself. my guard-dog always expanded the fullest and never went through all of the jugs.

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

My opinion, no matter what caliber u choose.. always heads up & eyes up. In most stressful situations, we might not think twice. So practise and practise of aiming your shooting. Always look if there's somebody else behind your target. If you have to shoot from different angle, then shoot.
When i had my CCW class, my 2 instructors carry 9mm caliber for their guns. BUT they do advise use hollow point ammo to avoid penetration, just like everyone said here.
Back to yourself, ask yourself which caliber you are comfortable with.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #20

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have a G27 and I'm just not sure I'm liking the .40 feel. The G27 wants to hope out of my fat hands. I tried Houge grips and now Talon grips....took some lessons on shooting and I'm holding the gun correctly but it really flips up. I rented a G30 .45 and liked it a bit better and I absolulty love my wifes new M&P 9c...same size as the G26/27 but it just feels right in my hands.