Really confused now!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Really confused now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Really confused now!

Ok gang, I went to the required CCW class last night in preparation for getting my Florida CCW license. I was all convinced I wanted to buy a Glock 19 as my carry weapon.
After going over the Florida statutes re being responsible for where a bullet ends up (God forbid I should ever have to actually shoot someone!) I'm starting to re-think the
wisdom of carrying a 9mm. Our instructor, a police chief, says most 9mm could very possibly penetrate a human body & possibly harm an innocent bystander! He said NEVER draw your weapon unless you shoot to kill, in the case of defending your home/vehicle. He carries a .32 as a concealed weapon, his duty weapon is the Springfield 1911 .45. The .32 fits nicely in his pocket. I do have a S&W .357 now. So, do I buy the Glock 19, or a .32 or 380? What are your thoughts? As you may have guessed I am a newbie at this so I appreciate everyone's opinions! Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7176 Times on 4318 Posts
Likes Given: 8753

I am wrestling with this subject myself. I am in the market for a new gun and am fretting over which caliber. I think I've finally made a decision. I'm interested to see what responses you get. Good luck!!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

9mm can have problems with over penetration. So can 357 sig. A good hollow point can help stop this, but not always. 45 ACP and 10mm are bigger slower rounds, so over penetration is not as likely (they also do more damage to what ever they hit).

As for 40 S&W, It is more powerful then 9mm (not sure about over penetration though), but it causes a lot of muzzle flip (aka kick). Many people love them, but a lot of people absolutely hate them too. I highly suggest trying this round out first before buying anything chambered for it).

For SD, I'd personally go with either the 357 mag, or either the 45 acp or the 10mm, but in the end, you need to go with what ever you comfortable with. The 9mm will do the job you need it to do.

IIRC, You can just change barrels on a glock and switch out the mags to change calibers. This only works if the frames are the same (9mm and 40 S&W can be switched on the same frame, or if you want a larger gun, .45 acp and 10mm can be switched on the same frame. The 9mm and .40 s&w will NOT fit on the .45 acp and 10mm's frame, and vice versa)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-09-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Texaswoodworker, but as I mentioned I have a .357 now, it does have tremendous kick, too big for a CCW IMHO; I did have a Colt 1911 .45 years ago,
Wish I had it back, but that also would be "overkill" for a CCW, no pun intended.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe you could carry some .38 special HP's in the .357 until you make a final decision. You may decide you like it or that you will like the .357 with newer grips or somesuch fixup.

Many people complain the .380 lacks in the penetration department, and while i am not sure i believe them, maybe a .380 would sooth your overpenetration concerns a bit. The Bersa Thunder .380 is comfy and concealable and is available in a single-stack model (7 or 9 shots) or a double-stack model (15 shots) for around $300. I don't conceal carry, but i did really like shooting my Bersa. See if you can hold one at your favorite shop or rent one at a range. Ammo will seem expensive, so skip this for a range gun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijoh69 View Post
Thanks for the reply Texaswoodworker, but as I mentioned I have a .357 now, it does have tremendous kick, too big for a CCW IMHO; I did have a Colt 1911 .45 years ago,
Wish I had it back, but that also would be "overkill" for a CCW, no pun intended.
lol, theres no such thing as overkill. Especially when the thing your shooting at is trying to kill you too. Some people actually carry 44 mags and 454 Casulls. Like I said, it's just what ever your comfortable with.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Regarding possible over penetration: any round, placed poorly, will over penetrate. Hit the BG in the upper arm and miss bone, your bullet is going through.

Yes, big slow rounds like the .45 ACP reduce this threat and do more damage to your attacker. Logically this should translate to less rounds needing to be fired to stop the threat and therefore reduced threat of a miss or an over P.

However, typically, the bigger the round, the more recoil, and some shooters are sensitive to this.

Any .45 ACP or 10 MM will have considerably more recoil than a comparable 9 MM but considerably LESS recoil than the .357 you currently own.

To me it boils down to a "power to weight" ratio. In cold months where I can conceal a bigger gun, I make sure that gun is a .45ACP

In warmer months where I must step down to a sub compact I step down to a 9 MM.

I carry quality defensive HP ammo in both and have ensured that all my carry guns are 100% reliable and hit to point of aim with that guns selected carry load.

Personally, I'd worry more about having a good HP load in a quality gun that YOU can shoot effectively.

Tack

Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

And the Glock 19, while a very good gun, is also a very large gun. Sure it's the compact version of the G17 but take it from me. After 16 years of CCW I've determined that the ideal carry guns dimensions are "no more that 1" thick and no more than 4" tall from top of slide to bottom of mag well. Unless of course you can go through all your daily activities in a parka.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #9

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

The 9mm is an excellent choice though I went with the 40S&W for a little more power/diameter yet almost the same magazine capacity. Just be sure to get good hollowpoints that mushroom nicely. And aim for center mass so the bullet isn't likely to pass through your attacker and harm an innocent bystander. Practice with that ammo until you feel confident in your ability to hit center mass at roughly 7 yards.

The Glock 19 is an excellent choice but for CCW you might want to go with the G26 for the smaller size. You can put a G19 magazine in the G26 to increase the grip size and capacity to equal the G19 for bedside/home defense but still be able to use the G26 mag for CCW. A magazine sleeve can be clamped on the G19 magazine to make the grip feel as good as the G19. I find it very nice to almost have two guns for the price of one with just a quick magazine swap.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Great advice on this thread! IMO I agree that a high quality jhp defensive round and a well placed shot should help with the over penetration. Good luck on your decision.