Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Quick Question regarding Glock 19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Quick Question regarding Glock 19

I just bought a new Glock 19 and am wanting to head to the range and put about 150 rounds through it and see how it goes. However, it is currently 4 degrees outside so i dont really want to go outside and clean and lubricate it.

I know it is recommended to clean and lube before its first use, which I did with my Sig P220 and FNP-40.

Is that my only option or could i do something else and then clea properly after the range session?

Thanks for the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #2

Quote:
I just bought a new Glock 19 and am wanting to head to the range and put about 150 rounds through it and see how it goes. However, it is currently 4 degrees outside so i dont really want to go outside and clean and lubricate it.

I know it is recommended to clean and lube before its first use, which I did with my Sig P220 and FNP-40.

Is that my only option or could i do something else and then clea properly after the range session?

Thanks for the help
You can clean and lube it before shooting it if you want, but why not just clean and lube it when you get home after the range session? That way you won't be out in the cold, right?

Am I missing something here?

When you do clean and lube it, just make sure you hit the places they specify in the Owner's Manual.

Whichever service caliber you carry, expect a failure to stop and keep shooting!

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34714

Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The main reason that everyone recommends that a new firearm be cleaned and oiled before the first use is that they are built by humans (in most cases) and mistakes can be and are made. A Glock is a snap to take apart and check. You can disassemble it quickly, run a patch through the barrel to make sure that it doesn't have a chunk of hardened grease or other obstruction in it. You can observe any rust or obvious damage and you can pop some oil on it if you don't see the copper colored grease that Glock uses. Now you have peace of mind and you can go run a lot of ammo through it and concentrate on your stance and grip and whatever. DO IT and then enjoy it!!

Dave

Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #4

You dont have to take it apart and clean it. If its brand new chances are its good to go. If buying used though, NEVER fire a used firearm without taking it apart and cleaning it. Since its new I would probably say its cool. Just stay inside (so you dont freeze) and take it apart and make sure there is nothing obvious. Just look at it, dont have to clean it. Make sure there is copper colored grease on the slide (it looks like rust). Do not wipe this off as its the guns lubrication. Have fun with it, the G19 is a great firearm.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

A quick answer:

Clean the damn thing!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Clean it

I am not an expert but I can tell you what happened When I sent my S&W Sigma 9mm for trigger work. I got it back, took it out of the box and got my clean & lube stuff out. I broke it down and it was dry as a bone. LESSON LEARNED: Never assume that someone else did something.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD