Question about Glock & "Unsupported" Barrel - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Question about Glock & "Unsupported" Barrel

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

As has already been said, a Kb can happen to any gun. As far as the supposed "unsupported barrel", when people say that most are talking about the .40 S&W glocks as they have slightly less support than some other pistols. Whether it makes a difference or not is beyond my pay grade, but if I had to guess, I'd say no.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Trainer343, welcome aboard! We are known to rib each other mercilessly around here. After a while you will catch on.

I'm with you. At one time I was at over 50 1911's, and a dozen Glocks. Down to a handful of each now, and most of those don't get used much (by me).

And it sounds like your range mates spend too much time on the internet. ATF just adopted Gen4 G22's as their duty pistol. Part of their testing criteria was a 20,000 rd torture test. Glock won, even with the unsupported chamber.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Trainer343, welcome aboard! We are known to rib each other mercilessly around here. After a while you will catch on.

I'm with you. At one time I was at over 50 1911's, and a dozen Glocks. Down to a handful of each now, and most of those don't get used much (by me).

And it sounds like your range mates spend too much time on the internet. ATF just adopted Gen4 G22's as their duty pistol. Part of their testing criteria was a 20,000 rd torture test. Glock won, even with the unsupported chamber.
I have spoke the words of reducing my gun count and my son comes down on hard about that. He says look old man they stay where they are I'll take care of them. So it looks like i'll be keeping mine couldn't think of anyone better to leave them to. I only shoot a carry a select few of mine now too.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #14

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGaryM View Post
The only thing I have heard about Glocks not lasting the way other guns do is that their barrels don't last if you shoot cast lead reloads. I've been told that the barrel will get a lead build up faster and it doesn't come clean like other barrels which effects the quality of the shooting. I don't know this first hand but have heard it from many different people.
The reason for not shooting lead, non jacketed bullets in a Glock is because Glocks employ Polygonal rifling in the bore. This type of rifling allows higher velocity to be achieved with less pressure when firing jacketed bullets. With lead bullets however, there isn't the conventional cut lands and grooves that give the soft lead something to "dig into". The result is that lead from the bullet can smear on to the inside of the bore causing severe leading. This can and will raise pressure in any gun, not just a Glock.

Glock is not the only manufacturer to use this type of rifling system. Heckler & Koch has used the polygonal rifling system for years, as have other manufacturers. This type of rifling appears to be more popular with European manufacturers than with stateside gun makers.

For the die hard handloader who is insistent on shooting lead, there are many manufacturers of drop in, replacement barrels like Lone Wolf Manufacturing who make conventional rifled barrels for Glocks. Personally, I can't understand the logic of shooting lead, non jacketed bullets in a defensive pistol. These are service pistols, not target pistols. There is plenty of low cost, jacketed ammunition being presently made out there. In fact it's getting to the point that the demand for lead, semi auto pistol ammunition has all but dried up. I can't even remember the last time I saw lead ammo in .40 S&W or .357 Sig for that matter.

A lot of problems associated with Glock pistols can be traced back to ignorant owners who don't understand the pistols construction, and why Glock recommends such things as not shooting reloads, or lead ammunition in them. They go ahead and do it anyway, then when an issue develops, you usually read about it on a forum much like this one where some guy managed to damage the pistol, himself, or both in the process. They then start a thread on how, "Glocks are crap", or some such nonsense. These owners are not just limited to the civilian marketplace. Recently some law enforcement departments have had issues with Glock pistols, and have tried to unsuccessfully blame it on the gun, when in fact the damage was traced to incorrectly loaded ammunition. It just never ends. Shooting a Glock pistol is a lot like flying light aircraft. While it is a relatively simple and enjoyable procedure to learn, if you go about it without a simple understanding of what is going on and why, most likely something bad is going to happen. Then as always, people look to blame the machine, not the person running it. Bill T.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
All the points above are very valid but I just don't see any sense in altering my entire shooting style and ammo selections just to accomodate a Glock when there are plenty of guns as good as, and in many cases far better, than Glock at the same or lower price.
No reason to. I'm not understanding this "accommodating" a Glock? A Glock is a gun you buy and shoot, same as any other. I own and shoot a half dozen of them, and I haven't done a thing to any of them. Being as all Glocks are auto pistols, and shooting lead ammo out of auto pistols is about as popular as going back to carburetors on V-8's, it's basically a non issue. Don't get me wrong, I own and shoot Sigs, and Beretta's as well, I just don't get, or buy into this business of a Glock having to be treated different than any other firearm.

As a matter of fact if a person randomly picked 20 different brands and loads of ammunition off the shelf in any caliber, a Glock would in all likelihood digest all of them the best without incident over most other brands of handguns. That I've proven to myself many times. That is pretty hard to beat. As far as pointing the thing successfully to hit what your aiming at, that is all up to the shooter regardless of the brand of gun he or she has in their hand. Gaston Glock designed and built the thing. He can't aim them for his customers. Bill T.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
No reason to. I'm not understanding this "accommodating" a Glock? A Glock is a gun you buy and shoot, same as any other. I own and shoot a half dozen of them, and I haven't done a thing to any of them. Being as all Glocks are auto pistols, and shooting lead ammo out of auto pistols is about as popular as going back to carburetors on V-8's, it's basically a non issue. Don't get me wrong, I own and shoot Sigs, and Beretta's as well, I just don't get, or buy into this business of a Glock having to be treated different than any other firearm.

As a matter of fact if a person randomly picked 20 different brands and loads of ammunition off the shelf in any caliber, a Glock would in all likelihood digest all of them the best without incident over most other brands of handguns. That I've proven to myself many times. That is pretty hard to beat. As far as pointing the thing successfully to hit what your aiming at, that is all up to the shooter regardless of the brand of gun he or she has in their hand. Gaston Glock designed and built the thing. He can't aim them for his customers. Bill T.
I agree I have some glocks with well over 100,000 150,000 rds I'm sure my glock 17 gen 1 tops that count. The only thing I have ever did is basically change springs and sights. They have eaten some lead as weel as some real crap over the years.I don't understand how it could have happened that they still work fine!!

OH ya Strange thing the only KB I have ever heard is when I pull the Trigger.

Last edited by trainer343; 09-21-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #17

I said if you wish to shoot lead bullets from a Glock you can replace the barrel. I also said I can't see the reason anyone would want to. Look, people modify every gun on the market with trigger jobs and such. It doesn't mean it's required maintenance. Glocks will shoot any ammo as well or better than any other weapon system out there.

I have never heard of anyone putting $2,000.00 into a Glock. For what? Too many people start replacing parts when they can't hit anything. They would be better off spending the money on AMMO and PRACTICING with their gun, instead of blaming their lousy marksmanship on barrels, triggers, the rotation of the Earth, along with everything else. If you want a target pistol, then buy a target pistol, not a Glock. As I said Glocks are service pistols, not target grade weapons. 6 Glocks, well over 10,000 rounds of ammo, and I've yet to replace one single part. And when I do miss, it's my fault, not the guns. Bill T.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #18

I don't know what the problem is GLOCKS shoot just fine right out of the box. Like I said I have 15 all stock other than maybe a couple where I polished a few things to smooth out the trigger and added my own sights. And my Gen1 17 is easily pushing 200,000 rds all stock and like my other glock all more than accurate enough for SD and even some target shooting. Change springs now and than is all you need to do and keep'em clean and you are good to go.

I just looked up a glock 30 I picked up 4/19/07 just counted 7,725 rds when it last went to the range on 8/26/10 I have not even changed the recoil spring in it yet everything is the same as it was the day I brought it home new. The trigger measures out at 4.8#'s right now. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Just read all the posts in different threads about giving your Glock a trigger job, replacing springs and barrels. I'd prefer a gun that functions well out of the box. You yourself mentioned a new barrel for a Glock so you can shoot reloads. The main reason I shoot reloads, and I think most people do, is to save money. Now I would have to spend an extra hundred dollars or more so my Glock can shoot reloads to save money. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Why not just buy another gun that has a barrel that will take reloads? I load 90+ % of my practice ammo so I want a gun capable of shooting them.

Read the thread about modifying your Glock, by the time people are done they have over $2,000 into a $500 gun.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-23-mods-suggestions-27277/

If I want to spend over $2,000 on a handgun I'll buy a Wilson. I see the same thing all the time when people buy a 10/22 rifle and put $1,000 worth of upgrades on a $200 rifle.
I was just thinking how the hell could you put 2000 bucks in upgrades to a glock? Why everything would need to be made out of gold. Or a guy would over pay for a smith to do the work that can be done by the owner. Glocks are incredibly easy to work on and or mod.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #20

You have to understand this is coming from an individual who is a self admitted, and very proud HATER of the Glock pistol. And in the same breath he speaks of "Glock Fanboys". I guess that means people who actually own and shoot the handgun in question.

Let's inject a little fact into this thread, as painful as that is to take.

FACT #1 Glock is the number 1 law enforcement pistol in the world.

GLOCK HATER "FACT" "They give them to the cops at cost!"

GLOCK HATER "FACT" "They can't shoot lead bullets!"

FACT #2 Why would "they" want to?

GLOCK HATER "FACT" "They can't shoot reloads!"

FACT #3 Why do 90% of people who complain about this always appear in other threads squawking on how "reloading isn't worth it", and they can PROVE IT!

All of this is much to do about nothing, as is the proverbial "$2,000.00 Glock". Has anyone ever seen a Glock pistol sell for over $1,000.00 let alone $2,000.00??? Still more bull$h!t. And on and on it goes. It's really funny if you take the time to analyze it.

Someone "Hates" Glocks. So on they go on this warpath to try and marginalize the pistol into something they "think" it should be. "Tupperware", "Perfection", "Kaboom", Etc. In the meantime they push pistols like the Beretta, the Sig Sauer, Springfield XD, saying how much "better" they think they are. In the end nothing mind you, supports their claims. Glock continues to march down the road to success, much like the Tea Party, putting up with all of the useless bitching and moaning of their contractors, squawking about how much "better" something designed by by Marko Vukovic and produced by I.M. Metals is, compared to the Glock that was on the map while this guy was still riding a bicycle jerking off to pictures of Cheryl Tiegs in a one piece. I don't know about you guys, but to me watching a bad episode of "Dancing With The Stars" is a more entertaining proposition. Bill T.

Closed Thread