Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Question about Glock & "Unsupported" Barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/question-about-glock-unsupported-barrel-31992/)

trainer343 09-20-2010 06:19 PM

Question about Glock & "Unsupported" Barrel

Hi all

I was hit with a ? I can not answer real well cause I don't feed into all the internet talk.

While at the range some guys were wondering if I worry about glocks blowing up much? Of course I told them no I have thousands of rds thru all mine and never a hiccup. So I asked why they were concerned they answered because of the unsupported barrel.

I said look at my Colt delta elite 10mm no more support then my glock 21 and colt is one of the oldest 1911 makers. So should I get rid of my colt? They just lol so how about it everyone what would you say about the lack of chamber support in a glock?!:D

Glasshartt 09-20-2010 06:35 PM

Trainer,

This question had been beaten to death on this forum and others. There are many threads regarding the issue. All guns, if the conditions are right (or wrong), can blow up. The Glocks are not anymore prone to KB than anything else. Revolvers KB, XD's KB, anything can KB. As long as proper procedures are followed, and the correct ammunition is used, there should not be a problem.

cpttango30 09-20-2010 06:42 PM

What the nice young lady said.

spittinfire 09-20-2010 06:45 PM

I can't agree with glass more. Please everyone, let's not have another pissing contest.

trainer343 09-20-2010 07:33 PM

I didn't ask for a pissing contest and I know this an old subject and there have been many many other threads on many other forums with this questioned asked. with all that there are still more people convinced they will blow their hand off with a glock.

I've been shooting for almost 50 years and started shooting glocks when they first come out i got one of the first 17's with over a hundred thousand on it i don't need to be convinced of anything I just wish you could talk sense to people.
It seems like no matter what rang a guy goes to you always here it or get approach with that question.:D

Go ahead and close the thread you like !!!:D

Mr. Bluesky 09-20-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trainer343 (Post 354168)
I didn't ask for a pissing contest and I know this an old subject and there have been many many other threads on many other forums with this questioned asked. with all that there are still more people convinced they will blow their hand off with a glock.

I've been shooting for almost 50 years and started shooting glocks when they first come out i got one of the first 17's with over a hundred thousand on it i don't need to be convinced of anything I just wish you could talk sense to people.
It seems like no matter what rang a guy goes to you always here it or get approach with that question.:D

Go ahead and close the thread you like !!!:D

Heh, nobody was accusing you personally of anything, but the Glock debate has been a *very* touchy subject around here recently.

As for the original question, I've heard it said that the polygonal rifling in the Glocks has a tendency to build up blockage more than other guns if proper maintenance is not performed, and that most of the infamous Glock kabooms happened to fools who didn't know how to care for their guns. This may be false; if it is, one of the older folks will be around shortly to textually slap me upside the head.

trainer343 09-20-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G37 (Post 354267)
The only infraction I can see in your OP is the blasphemy you put on JMB and his 1911.......

Blasphemy I put on JMB and his 1911 ? I don't follow sense i carry a 1911 almost exclusively and have over 40 1911's to pick from in my safe. Maybe you should read my post closer. it seems you misunderstood what I said.

trainer343 09-20-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G37 (Post 354305)
You compared it to a Glock. This=Blasphemy

40 1911s? Interweb rule #27 Pics or it never happened.

Well you won't get me to get all my guns out of the safe to prove something that doesn't need to be proven.:eek::D
I'm to damn old to need to prove anything anymore.:D
And I'm also to experienced with firearms to worry about rather or not I compare one gun to another thats for kids.:)

Oh I almost forgot I have four sigs left and 15 glocks a couple kel-tecs Springfield XD's and one XDM 2 Kahrs and I won't even get into the black guns and rifles.
Like I said I made a living training in firearm use and have been shooting for a very long time.
Have a good day!

trainer343 09-21-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G37 (Post 354362)
I think I am even more impressed by 15 Glocks!! I am a huge fan of pistols period. I am a huge fan of Glocks aswell and to be honest, I have no need for more than one. The wife has one too so I only count mine as being mine, so I own one. I have an XD9 instead of a G19. Two G19s in the same house seems overkille to me.

Fifteen...jeesh, just wow my man!!

I like the XD's and I really like the XDm I picked up a short time ago the XDM45 that thing shoots real smooth. Of course I like anything by Springfield. Great company great CS.:)

billt 09-21-2010 01:48 AM

In any auto pistol fed from a magazine you have a balancing act to perform. How you perform it is based on how much reliability you wish to have. The larger throat, or feed ramp you supply the barrel with, the better reliability you will achieve with that pistol. This is regardless of caliber or model because all of them feed the same way.

Consequently, the more reliability you achieve by a larger feed ramp requires less chamber support when the cartridge is fired. It reverts back to the age old saying, "You don't get something for nothing". If you fully supported the chamber it would require little to no feed ramp, which would make for a very unreliable pistol. An unreliable pistol is all but worthless. So the question becomes how much reliability do you want, yet at the same time not have the chamber so unsupported that blown cases are the result when firing hot ammo or reloads.

Glock has achieved what is all but the perfect balance in this department. Their weapons can fire all open nosed, high performance, +P self defense ammunition very reliably, and at the same time do so with a very high safety factor. Glock specifies not to shoot reloads in their weapons. The reason for this is because if you examine a case fired from a Glock it will show some bulging near the rear of the case. If you were to resize and reload that case, and it should enter the chamber the exact same way, radially timed so the exact same spot was again located in the unsupported chamber area of the feed ramp, the case could blow out from the brass being weakened from being reworked during the reloading process, then again stressed during the firing process. Hence the warning not to shoot reloads in a Glock.

With that said many shooters fire reloaded ammunition in their Glock pistols, most doing so without incident. I take a little different approach. I shoot only new, factory ammo in my Glocks. All 6 of them. I then collect the brass, reload it, but keep it segregated for use in my other handguns. The reloads get shot in my Beretta, Sig Sauers, and Springfield Armory 1911's without any further concern or worry.

By doing this I still benefit from the cost savings from reloading, but still do so by not jeopardizing the threat of having a case failure in any of my Glocks. You could say it's the best of both worlds. I have never had any "kabooms", or failures in doing this for the last several years, and thousands of rounds. I will continue to do so because as they say it pays to stick with what works. Bill T.