Question about Glock 22 conversion to 9mm. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Question about Glock 22 conversion to 9mm.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You can swap the 17 and 22 top ends (pre Gen4) with no problem. The early Gen3 17 only had a single pin, but the later Gen3 has the dual pin like the G22.

My knock about G17 has a .40 ejector and has never failed. I swap top ends all the time.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Good point about single pin 9mm frames, M14sRock. I understand very early 22s had a single pin block but found wanting so Glock quickly upgraded the Gen2 22 to the two pin block. It wasn't until Gen3 the same was done to the 17 since it was more of a convenience than a necessity.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-25-2011, 04:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good point about single pin 9mm frames, M14sRock. I understand very early 22s had a single pin block but found wanting so Glock quickly upgraded the Gen2 22 to the two pin block. It wasn't until Gen3 the same was done to the 17 since it was more of a convenience than a necessity.
You understand correctly my friend. The second pin was added because the recoil caused the locking block to rotate a bit during recoil. The 9mm does not do that, so the G17 did not need the second pin. They eventually added the second pin to standardize manufacture.

The area where the locking block tips up and hits the slide causes "gouging" to the slide, but it causes no problems. I polish it back down and leave it alone. The "gouge" only happens so much, then stops.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
I asked you before if your 22 and 17 are the same generation but no response from you. That's the real question, if one is a Gen4 and the other isn't - the answer is NO.

If the same gen, you can swap the uppers, the frames are the same. There is a chance the ejector could give you trouble from 9mm to 40 and vice versa but odds are it would work too.
Sorry Q, I didn't see your response. Yeah, they're the same. Both Gen4.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 2005

Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
... The area where the locking block tips up and hits the slide causes "gouging" to the slide, but it causes no problems. I polish it back down and leave it alone. The "gouge" only happens so much, then stops.
Ah yes, my 22Gen2 (even though it does have the 2 pin locking block) has slide peening but it doesn't seem to be causing any real harm. I understand Glock considers this a cosmetic flaw if someone complains. Bet it was a real problem on those rare single pin blocks.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Sorry Q, I didn't see your response. Yeah, they're the same. Both Gen4.
No problem, T. Both Gen4 - then it should be ok to swap uppers unless the ejectors don't play well with the other caliber. How about the recoil spring assemblies - are they the same strength? I'm curious about this on the big Glocks. At one time Glock was using the same exact RSAs for the 17 and 22 but I think now they're changed (I'm pretty sure this is the case with the 19 and 22 anyway). Anyway, the RSA should remain with its slide anyway so no issue.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Ah yes, my 22Gen2 (even though it does have the 2 pin locking block) has slide peening but it doesn't seem to be causing any real harm. I understand Glock considers this a cosmetic flaw if someone complains. Bet it was a real problem on those rare single pin blocks.
When I first went through the Glock Police Transitional course (1989) our instructor had one of the prototype G22's with the single pin. We all got to shoot it and I stripped it down, looking for any signs of wear, etc. It did not have the peening. I would have noticed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 06-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #18

Quote:
No problem, T. Both Gen4 - then it should be ok to swap uppers unless the ejectors don't play well with the other caliber. How about the recoil spring assemblies - are they the same strength? I'm curious about this on the big Glocks. At one time Glock was using the same exact RSAs for the 17 and 22 but I think now they're changed (I'm pretty sure this is the case with the 19 and 22 anyway). Anyway, the RSA should remain with its slide anyway so no issue.
I've never had the ejectors make a difference when swapping Cal. The Gen4s now have springs rated to the Cal (FINALLY!).

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I've never had the ejectors make a difference when swapping Cal. The Gen4s now have springs rated to the Cal (FINALLY!).
Yeah, about time, M14sRock! My 23Gen4 has the 03 RSA and early 19Gen4s came with it too with ugly results. Now, like you say, the 19Gen4 comes with the 04 RSA and people with early ones who complain can get the 04 RSA.