Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Question about Glock 22 conversion to 9mm. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/question-about-glock-22-conversion-9mm-44208/)

Thadeuce 06-22-2011 12:53 PM

Question about Glock 22 conversion to 9mm.

Ok, I searched the forums and didn't find an answer for the question that follows. If you know where I can find it in this forum, please link me. Here goes:

After some searching, I've heard a couple of different ways I could change my Glock 22 to shoot 9mm. One involves getting a conversion BBL. Now there are two other ways that I read that were possible. One is just using a 9mm BBL and one is just replacing the top (slide and BBL). Which of these latter two are possible AND safe, if either. Just for info purposes, I have both 22 and 17. The 22 is refinished and I'd like to use it more, hence the question. Thanks for any help/advice.

Quentin 06-22-2011 09:00 PM

Are both Glocks the same generation? If so have you tried your 17 slide on your 22 frame and tested for function? I only have a 22 but look at your two frames real close and see. I think the only thing that might be different from 9mm to 40S&W is the ejector.

If you put your 9mm barrel in the 22 slide the extractor would still be for the 40 of course.

Anyway, just speculating here, don't try to fire it :eek: until someone else with first hand experience comes along.

Myself, I'd just shoot them the way they are, who cares what they look like!

Davo45 06-22-2011 09:11 PM

I've seen a conversion barrel advertised, I believe it's manufactured by Lone Wolf or something like that. Reviews said all that was necessary was the barrel and 9mm magazines. I think it was for sale on cheaperthandirt.com. I had thought about getting one but wound up purchasing a Gen 4 G-19.

yellowhand 06-23-2011 01:15 AM

I use the lonewolf conversion barrel @109.00 and KCI Glock 17 mags from CDNN for 7.00.
Both work perfect.
I bought the 22, had a 19, vs the 17 so that I could pop the LW barrel into and shoot 9mm lead by the pound.
Only plated or FMJ thru the factory barrels.
Dropped a LW model 19 barrel into my 19 as well to blast 9mm lead reloads by the K.
Never had any issues, work as advertized, both mags and barrels.

Quentin 06-23-2011 01:56 AM

Good to know, yellowhand! So no problem using the 40S&W extractor and ejector with the LW 9mm barrel?

bullgator 06-23-2011 02:17 AM

Question about Glock 22 conversion to 9mm.

I have a Storm Lake Glock 35(Long slide) to 9mm conversion barrel in my Glock 22 with the only diff being an extra inch of barrel protruding out the front. It works in my Gen 2.5 Glock 22 and my Gen 3 Glock 22. The 9mm conversion barrel is thicker to accomodate the extra diameter of the .40 barrel and that is the primary reason the 9mm barrel will not work as the accuracy would be affected with a loose barrel in the slide. :D

yellowhand 06-23-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 527848)
Good to know, yellowhand! So no problem using the 40S&W extractor and ejector with the LW 9mm barrel?

No, none at all.
Just changed the barrel and stuck in the 17 mags and fired total of 600 to 700 rounds without a FTF or FTE.
Darn thing works as they say it will for me.
Cheap mags work.
Left Korean mags loaded for a month, no issues, two months, no issues, three months, no issues when I loaded and then fired them.
Next will be four months at end of month.
Others have reported problems, but I've not had any with the KCI mags.
I prefer 7 cheaper ones for cost of two factory mags any day.

Thadeuce 06-24-2011 04:58 PM

Thanks a ton for the info. Anyone know if changing the entire upper will work? Not that I have to but it would be nice to know if it works or not.

zebramochaman 06-25-2011 01:54 AM

Really no need to change anything but the barrel and the mags. I have two Storm Lake barrels that I use in my G-32. One is a 9mm the other a .40 S&W. They cost me $100 for each and they work flawlessly. The other benefit of the aftermarket barrels is that you do not have to worry about shooting unjacketed ammo through them.
For range use I have some G-17 Korean 9mm mags. They also work flawlessly.

Quentin 06-25-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeuce (Post 528658)
Thanks a ton for the info. Anyone know if changing the entire upper will work? Not that I have to but it would be nice to know if it works or not.

I asked you before if your 22 and 17 are the same generation but no response from you. That's the real question, if one is a Gen4 and the other isn't - the answer is NO.

If the same gen, you can swap the uppers, the frames are the same. There is a chance the ejector could give you trouble from 9mm to 40 and vice versa but odds are it would work too.