question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default question

i was wondering what you guys use on glocks to clean barrel, protact barrel and lube for side rails.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Hoppes gun oil, Glocks are guns just like any other, with the exception of all the plastic.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

any firearms lubricant used sparingly will work. Look at the owner's manual and where it shows ONE DROP of lube at the disconnector - use only one drop. There are very few moving parts in a Glock and most of them should be dry. NEVER lube the striker. You can remove it for cleaning but always install it dry - it won't rust and actually rides plastic on plastic so no need for oil.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #4

Ballistol on the barrel only

Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #5

One drop of Slip2000 on the end of a q-tip will lube everything you need. One swipe down each slide rail, one swipe across the disconnector, then rub whats left on your fingers and rub it on the outside of the barrel. I've never put anything oil inside the barrel, just hot soapy water and a bore snake. That's worked for over 10k rounds in my 22.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #6

I use Hoppe's #9 bore solvent for the bore of the barrel. I make sure to be in a well ventilated area when using the stuff, the fumes aren't good for you. I use Hoppe's Elite Cleaner to clean everything else, even the polymer parts of the gun. After everything is clean, I use Ballistol oil to wipe down the metal parts of the gun then wipe them relatively dry for corrosion protection. For lubrication I use small drops of regular Hoppe's oil in the areas indicated by the instruction manual.

The other supplies I use:
-Hoppe's Sontora synthetic patches, 500 pack for about $8
-bore rod and brush that came with the pistol
-100% cotton rag for wiping the gun down with cleaner or oil
-old/expired soft plastic ID card to wrap the rag or patches around to get into the rails of the slide
-q-tips for wiping hard to reach places with cleaner or oil, then wiping dry, with special care not to leave any cotton behind in the gun
-Hoppe's nylon utility brush for brushing the breech face and the extractor claw

If you're new to Glocks, here are some tips and resources:
Here are the places you DON'T want to get oil:
-in the magazines
-on the breech face
-on the extractor
-in the internal parts of the slide such as the firing pin channel, around the extractor, or around the firing pin safety

Here are some videos that I learned from when I got my first Glock
nutnfancy cleaning:

JamesYeager lubricating:
hickok45 cleaning:
R6AJ lubricating: