Ported barrel and suppressor?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Ported barrel and suppressor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ported barrel and suppressor?

I have a Glock 22c, I have been curious as to how effective a suppressor would be on my gun seeing as how it has a ported barrel. Have any of you tried this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You would need a non ported threaded barrel to use a supressor.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsm1th View Post
I have a Glock 22c, I have been curious as to how effective a suppressor would be on my gun seeing as how it has a ported barrel. Have any of you tried this?
First, welcome to the forum. Normally new members will stop in the Introduction thread and introduce themselves so the forum can welcome them properly.

Second, I can't help with your question, but I'm confident someone here can. Why do you want to suppress a ported barrel in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsm1th View Post
I'm no expert, by any means, but I'm fairly certain this would be pointless. Suppressors, I'm pretty sure, operate by trapping escaping gasses and sound waves following the round out of the barrel. A ported barrel re-directs the gasses out the sides or top of the barrel via the ports, so I'm certain the sound waves would escape through the same route. Basically, I believe you need the route from chamber to muzzle to be as sealed as possible for sound containment, so ports would completely defeat the purpose of a suppressor. I do, however, wonder if perhaps a suppressor's baffles would act as a muzzle brake and give you some of the same benefits as a ported barrel. Anybody know if this is the case?