Polished slide and barrel

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Polished slide and barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Polished slide and barrel

I know a lot of you have done it and have various ways, I'm looking for what the different methods are and what the steps are to do this. I'm going to do this to one of my glocks soon and hopefully get it as close as I can to resemble a mirrored finish. I know I could send it out to be chromed but I'd rather do it myself...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #3

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I'm not familiar with Glocks, but is the slide and barrel stainless? If it's not stainless and you remove the finish, you will constantly have to battle rust.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

No glocks aren't stainless but the tenifer is into the metal which prevents rust or corrosion, the black finish can be removed without ruining the tenifer process but I don't know all the methods to do it

Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #5

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyycanseco33
No glocks aren't stainless but the tenifer is into the metal which prevents rust or corrosion, the black finish can be removed without ruining the tenifer process but I don't know all the methods to do it
Personally, I'd be a little leary. Once that surface coating is gone, I have a feeling that will significantly decrease the rust resistance. But I could be wrong.

I would approach the task just like I would with a piece of wood. Start with a course grain sandpaper against a flat sanding block of some kind. Use a drop or two of oil to lubricate the process. Continue using finer grit papers to get all of your scratches out. Then I'd find a buffing wheel and some stainless steel polishing compound and buff to the desired shine. That's just how I would do it, that is only IF I decided to. Not sure I would do that with any metal other than stainless steel though.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #6

I polished the barrel on my G26. I used some rem oil and 2000,1500,and 1000 sandpaper(wet or dry) to remove the black and sand to desired smoothness. Then I used mothers metal polish and it looks great. It's a lot of work. I would never attempt a slide and I shoot my guns and the finish scratches easily after polishing so the slide polished would be impractical. But it can be accomplished with time and elbow grease!!