Perks of a ported barrel? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Perks of a ported barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I shot a 17c in the academy. We did low level light shooting and the blast did not effect my night vision. The muzzle blast makes a nice V pattern and if your target is in the bottom of the V your probably gonna hit with effect. Before anyone asks why a 17c, i was 22 yrs old, thought ported barrels were the shiznit. Ive learned a few things since then and moved on to model 22

Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh yea, didnt notice a significant difference in follow up shots, but it was 9mm. Never shot anything else ported in semi auto

Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I had a G23C for a few years. I mostly shot it outdoors, so I seldom saw it spitting flame. I did have to clean off the front sight a time or two on longer range sessions, but no big deal.

To me it felt about like shooting a G22 without a compensator.

When I fired it indoors, I definitely noticed the flame, but it didn't interfere with my shooting. I wasn't shooting low-light/dark, though.

I'm pretty sure that shooting any gun without a suppressor in the dark is going to produce a very bright muzzle flash, so that wasn't a factor for me. I also figure that if it interferes with my vision, it also interferes with the burglar's/home invader's, and I know where all the furniture is.

Enjoy your new baby!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Good carry ammo uses flame retardant powder. With FMJ range grade ammo, you will see significant flame out of the ports. With good carry ammo you will see no more than a glow.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #15

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Good carry ammo uses flame retardant powder. With FMJ range grade ammo, you will see significant flame out of the ports. With good carry ammo you will see no more than a glow.
I'll have to run a few of my Gold Dots through it next time I go to the indoor range to compare them. But that is always good to know