Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Perks of a ported barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Perks of a ported barrel?

I recently got this in on a trade and while I love the Glock 23 (it's the only one I can actually shoot accurately) I cannot say I have ever shot one like this. This model is the 23c with the ported barrel. My question is, what's the perks to this and how will it effect shooting more in the evening/night time? I imagine there will be a large flame no doubt, but is it blinding? Also, how's the recoil compared to a normal one? I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to try it out and will try to remember to post pics!

image-1878367801.jpg   image-928130939.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Yes it is blinding if it is dark enough. I tried a ported snub 38spl +P on a darkened range and it took a few seconds to see enough to shoot. I sold the revolver shortly after that. Consider that I am old and my eyes probably dont recover as quickly as younger eyes. It also increases the noise level considerably. I was at the indoor range and a guy a couple lanes down was making a very loud bang. I looked to see what he was shooting and it was a ported 40 Glock. Unported is plenty loud if you have to shoot in a confined area without ear protection. This was a lot worse. It does reduce recoil.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20896 Times on 11879 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

a ported barrel has its pros and cons.

pros: reduced recoil aloowing faster follow-up shots if needed and also allowing one to use a larger caliber and control the recoil.

cons: larger muzzle blast and increased noise level.

Hornady makes the TAP ammo line that uses different powder to help reduce the muzzle blast and affecting night vision. might check into that. don't know if this has any effect on a ported pistol or not, but might be interesting to find out.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Potted barrels make for quicker follow up shots for heavy recoiling guns. I wouldn't want a carry or home defense gun with a potted barrel because they make one hell of a flash which makes that follow up shot almost impossible in low light. They bark pretty loud too but in a defensive situation that is meaningless.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #5

Well I just got back from the fun range. I mean gun range and all I have to say is I love this gun! I only put 100 through it but the noise was no where near as bad as I thought and there was no recoil at all!

Here's the first mag I ran through it

image-1178962648.jpg  

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

Second and third as well and the last one is a fresh target with both 13 round mags and a 22 round mag

I forgot to add, all these were at 10 yards

image-3032445522.jpg   image-370115801.jpg   image-844473501.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20896 Times on 11879 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

shag, that's pretty good shooting there! very good groups.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
shag, that's pretty good shooting there! very good groups.
Well thank ya! I'm pretty pleased with it, especially being my first time with the weapon. I'll probably stick to 10-15 yards until I am extremely comfortable and then step out to 25 or so
Old 10-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A lot of people put to much emphasis on being blinded when shooting at night. I have shot my share of coyotes at night with a ported shotgun. We all can agree that a high brass BB load throws a large flame out the barrel. Yet with the adrenaline flowing the muzzle blast has no effect on my vision. In a self defense situation the muzzle blast won't affect your vision either.

Here is another situation to boost your confidence with a ported barrel. I was practicing shooting a 357 while holding a flashlight. The muzzle blast blinded the hell out of me. Yet with a same gun and light I had no problems getting off three shots to kill a chicken nabbing fox.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
A lot of people put to much emphasis on being blinded when shooting at night. I have shot my share of coyotes at night with a ported shotgun. We all can agree that a high brass BB load throws a large flame out the barrel. Yet with the adrenaline flowing the muzzle blast has no effect on my vision. In a self defense situation the muzzle blast won't affect your vision either.

Here is another situation to boost your confidence with a ported barrel. I was practicing shooting a 357 while holding a flashlight. The muzzle blast blinded the hell out of me. Yet with a same gun and light I had no problems getting off three shots to kill a chicken nabbing fox.
Well that is always a confidence booster. I hardly noticed the flame when I was concentrating on the front sight hard but when I was firing a little more rapidly (the farther out shots) I definitely saw them and damn! That thing likes to spit fire