Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > PDX1's are a NO GO!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default PDX1's are a NO GO!

Posted 15 November 2011 19:22
PDX1's are a NO GO! For Armadillo at least. We were coming back from searching for a deer my friend shot at earlier in the evening, and spotted an Armadillo in the field. My grandfather has been complaining about them digging holes in his back yard, and I had been planing on sitting on the back porch with a .22 tonight to see if I could bag a few. The headlights of the Mule shown across the field, and I could see a gray ball. My friend and I jumped out and ran up to about 15 yards of him. I had my Glock 23, loaded with 180gr Winchester PDX1, and my friend had a 3 cell Maglite. I got off two rounds, one of which I was sure was a hit. The little bastard took off. I grabbed the light from my friend and chased the Armadillo through the woods and thick brush (about 200 yards total), shooting every time I got a clear shot. I finally moved around and flanked his ass, and put one in him at about 3 yards when he broke the tree line. He was dragging his guts, and the shot rolled him onto his back. He flipped over and kept going! I put two more in him before he finally expired. All said and done, I shot 10 times, and counted 8 holes in him. These guys are tough! If you're planning on dispatching Armadillo, use a different load.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wow. Armadillers are mighty tough it seems. Don't handle him too much, they're the only known animals to carry leprosy. Luckily, it's curable now, and the damage reversible. All except the nerve damage.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #3

One of the reasons I was so quick to shoot him. I'll leave him to the coyotes.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That was a tough army dillard

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I Always use my M4 on them.. Its nighty night instantly. The only running is the 5.56 bullet going through them.. I use 77 grain blackhills ammo

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sorry bro but chasing helpless animals through the woods just to shoot them is cold. Since you like seeing what bullets do to flesh and wasting food maybe you should go the market and buy somthing already dead. The only reason an animal should be killed is if it poses a threat or for food, not digging holes. Not cool

Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

OP, glad to see you taking care of your family's pest problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
I'm sorry bro but chasing helpless animals through the woods just to shoot them is cold. Since you like seeing what bullets do to flesh and wasting food maybe you should go the market and buy somthing already dead. The only reason an animal should be killed is if it poses a threat or for food, not digging holes. Not cool
Did you miss the part about armadillos not being all that safe to even handle due to disease risk of LEPROSY? That isn't fit to eat in any situation with a safe alternative food, in my opinion. Further, the OP explained that this was not "hunting" but more of a "pest control" situation due to damage to the property, damage that can injure horses and cattle (much like prairie dogs).

A head shot would've been nice, and a quick kill is certainly something to strive for, but is by no means a requirement for a pest species in my opinion. Don't break your leg dismounting that high horse.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsavy View Post
Property damage is a killing offense. I don't care who you are, if there's a pest animal, especially one that carries diseases then it needs to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
OP, glad to see you taking care of your family's pest problem.

Did you miss the part about armadillos not being all that safe to even handle due to disease risk of LEPROSY? That isn't fit to eat in any situation with a safe alternative food, in my opinion. Further, the OP explained that this was not "hunting" but more of a "pest control" situation due to damage to the property, damage that can injure horses and cattle (much like prairie dogs).

A head shot would've been nice, and a quick kill is certainly something to strive for, but is by no means a requirement for a pest species in my opinion. Don't break your leg dismounting that high horse.
I like the idea of a head shot, but the OP was chasing it down, and with a pistol too. Overall, I say for a pistol kill, not too shabby, but I'm very surprised at the toughness of such a small animal.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I like the idea of a head shot, but the OP was chasing it down, and with a pistol too. Overall, I say for a pistol kill, not too shabby, but I'm very surprised at the toughness of such a small animal.
Yup, probably would've needed a shotgun or maybe a .45 with a rail-light for any realistic hope of a headshot. They are tough; i saw a buddy hit one on an old '80's Honda streetbike (1100cc); the 'dillo ran away as dude tried not to eat pavement.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #10

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

PETA Troll ? Just sayin
Good shooting them varmits arent good for anything but problems

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-16-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Newest Threads