Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Parent or sister buying me a handgun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Parent or sister buying me a handgun

In Texas I can own a handgun at 18. I am wondering if my older sister or parents can but one for me as a gift. Im pretty sure this isn't a straw purchase. Just want some clarification. Im looking at the Glock 21sf

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don live in the states, but I don't think it would be any different then buying somebody a gun for Christmas/their birthday up here.
It would probably just have to be transferred over to you after they bought it.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Well in TX we don't need to register so id rather not transfer it lol. Don't want the feds knowing what i got

Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Michael, I'm no lawyer (and to be sure you'd need an attorney that specializes in Texas gun law) but I kinda doubt your parents or legal age sister would get in trouble giving you a handgun. No doubt it happens all the time in Texas. I wouldn't call that a straw purchase but who knows when you bring the legal system into it. It might be best for everyone concerned for them to keep ownership until you're 18. I doubt there's a law against them loaning it to you, then give it to you on your 18th birthday. As you said in Texas and most states an individual to individual transfer of ownership doesn't require paperwork.

You're a smart guy and pretty mature from what I've seen so I'd just say be 100% safe with the gun and don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself and you should be ok. The less said the better if you know what I mean. Also this thread may be locked quickly so I'll say again I'm no lawyer and am clueless to the laws involved. Of course nothing said here is the opinion of Firearms Talk Forums!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-31-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Michael, I'm no lawyer (and to be sure you'd need an attorney that specializes in Texas gun law) but I kinda doubt your parents or legal age sister would get in trouble giving you a handgun. No doubt it happens all the time in Texas. I wouldn't call that a straw purchase but who knows when you bring the legal system into it. It might be best for everyone concerned for them to keep ownership until you're 18. I doubt there's a law against them loaning it to you, then give it to you on your 18th birthday. As you said in Texas and most states an individual to individual transfer of ownership doesn't require paperwork.

You're a smart guy and pretty mature from what I've seen so I'd just say be 100% safe with the gun and don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself and you should be ok. The less said the better if you know what I mean. Also this thread may be locked quickly so I'll say again I'm no lawyer and am clueless to the laws involved. Of course nothing said here is the opinion of Firearms Talk Forums!
Im 19 lol I can legally own it. My sister is 23. She owes me $600 I let her borrow and she had it ready to pay back but id rather have her "gift" me a gun

Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

If you have to quotation marks around the word, gift, that should answer your question. A gift from a family mamber is legal (as long as you are not prohibited from owning). "Gifting" a gun is a straw purchase and as such can send you and your sister to Federal pokey.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I put this in your other thread (by the way, that's a bit of a no-no), if your sister gives the money to you or one of your parents, and then you get your parent to get the gun for you, that's probably for the best. Especially if your living with them.

If Texas laws are like MS laws, you should be able to buy used from a private seller considering your age, and you'll probably save a few bucks too. Now, I don't even like GLOCK, but buying a used GLOCK is almost just as good as buying a new one, they do have a tendency to great longevity.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I put this in your other thread (by the way, that's a bit of a no-no), if your sister gives the money to you or one of your parents, and then you get your parent to get the gun for you, that's probably for the best. Especially if your living with them.

If Texas laws are like MS laws, you should be able to buy used from a private seller considering your age, and you'll probably save a few bucks too. Now, I don't even like GLOCK, but buying a used GLOCK is almost just as good as buying a new one, they do have a tendency to great longevity.
What pistol wouldd you reccomend? Ill do some research before the purchase obviously

Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #9

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I like full sized handguns, even considering my small hands. When it comes to GLOCK, it looks to me like your options are only size and caliber, and some are compensated.

Personally, I'd probably get the G17. I'm not a huge fan of 9MM either, but that's 17+1. I seem to recall that there may be more aftermarket stuff for the G17, although I'm not sure if that's true. I do know there are 30 or 33 round mags on the market for it. That's pretty cool.

Plus, of the handgun calibers, 9MM is some of the cheapest. I assume if your 19 then your probably on a fairly limited budget.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I like full sized handguns, even considering my small hands. When it comes to GLOCK, it looks to me like your options are only size and caliber, and some are compensated.

Personally, I'd probably get the G17. I'm not a huge fan of 9MM either, but that's 17+1. I seem to recall that there may be more aftermarket stuff for the G17, although I'm not sure if that's true. I do know there are 30 or 33 round mags on the market for it. That's pretty cool.

Plus, of the handgun calibers, 9MM is some of theheapest. I assume if your 19 then your probably on a fairly limited budget.
Well actually I make pretty good money (1500+ a week) so budget isn't very tight lol. What gun (doesn't matter brand) would you recommend

Closed Thread