Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Parent or sister buying me a handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/parent-sister-buying-me-handgun-56713/)

MichaelBarton 01-31-2012 06:12 PM

Parent or sister buying me a handgun

In Texas I can own a handgun at 18. I am wondering if my older sister or parents can but one for me as a gift. Im pretty sure this isn't a straw purchase. Just want some clarification. Im looking at the Glock 21sf

kaido 01-31-2012 06:37 PM

I don live in the states, but I don't think it would be any different then buying somebody a gun for Christmas/their birthday up here.
It would probably just have to be transferred over to you after they bought it.

MichaelBarton 01-31-2012 06:50 PM

Well in TX we don't need to register so id rather not transfer it lol. Don't want the feds knowing what i got

Quentin 01-31-2012 07:30 PM

Michael, I'm no lawyer (and to be sure you'd need an attorney that specializes in Texas gun law) but I kinda doubt your parents or legal age sister would get in trouble giving you a handgun. No doubt it happens all the time in Texas. I wouldn't call that a straw purchase but who knows when you bring the legal system into it. It might be best for everyone concerned for them to keep ownership until you're 18. I doubt there's a law against them loaning it to you, then give it to you on your 18th birthday. As you said in Texas and most states an individual to individual transfer of ownership doesn't require paperwork.

You're a smart guy and pretty mature from what I've seen so I'd just say be 100% safe with the gun and don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself and you should be ok. The less said the better if you know what I mean. Also this thread may be locked quickly so I'll say again I'm no lawyer and am clueless to the laws involved. Of course nothing said here is the opinion of Firearms Talk Forums!

MichaelBarton 01-31-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 695268)
Michael, I'm no lawyer (and to be sure you'd need an attorney that specializes in Texas gun law) but I kinda doubt your parents or legal age sister would get in trouble giving you a handgun. No doubt it happens all the time in Texas. I wouldn't call that a straw purchase but who knows when you bring the legal system into it. It might be best for everyone concerned for them to keep ownership until you're 18. I doubt there's a law against them loaning it to you, then give it to you on your 18th birthday. As you said in Texas and most states an individual to individual transfer of ownership doesn't require paperwork.

You're a smart guy and pretty mature from what I've seen so I'd just say be 100% safe with the gun and don't do anything stupid to draw attention to yourself and you should be ok. The less said the better if you know what I mean. Also this thread may be locked quickly so I'll say again I'm no lawyer and am clueless to the laws involved. Of course nothing said here is the opinion of Firearms Talk Forums!

Im 19 lol I can legally own it. My sister is 23. She owes me $600 I let her borrow and she had it ready to pay back but id rather have her "gift" me a gun

robocop10mm 01-31-2012 08:12 PM

If you have to quotation marks around the word, gift, that should answer your question. A gift from a family mamber is legal (as long as you are not prohibited from owning). "Gifting" a gun is a straw purchase and as such can send you and your sister to Federal pokey.

trip286 01-31-2012 08:22 PM

I put this in your other thread (by the way, that's a bit of a no-no), if your sister gives the money to you or one of your parents, and then you get your parent to get the gun for you, that's probably for the best. Especially if your living with them.

If Texas laws are like MS laws, you should be able to buy used from a private seller considering your age, and you'll probably save a few bucks too. Now, I don't even like GLOCK, but buying a used GLOCK is almost just as good as buying a new one, they do have a tendency to great longevity.

MichaelBarton 01-31-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 695307)
I put this in your other thread (by the way, that's a bit of a no-no), if your sister gives the money to you or one of your parents, and then you get your parent to get the gun for you, that's probably for the best. Especially if your living with them.

If Texas laws are like MS laws, you should be able to buy used from a private seller considering your age, and you'll probably save a few bucks too. Now, I don't even like GLOCK, but buying a used GLOCK is almost just as good as buying a new one, they do have a tendency to great longevity.

What pistol wouldd you reccomend? Ill do some research before the purchase obviously

trip286 01-31-2012 08:40 PM

I like full sized handguns, even considering my small hands. When it comes to GLOCK, it looks to me like your options are only size and caliber, and some are compensated.

Personally, I'd probably get the G17. I'm not a huge fan of 9MM either, but that's 17+1. I seem to recall that there may be more aftermarket stuff for the G17, although I'm not sure if that's true. I do know there are 30 or 33 round mags on the market for it. That's pretty cool.

Plus, of the handgun calibers, 9MM is some of the cheapest. I assume if your 19 then your probably on a fairly limited budget.

MichaelBarton 01-31-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 695326)
I like full sized handguns, even considering my small hands. When it comes to GLOCK, it looks to me like your options are only size and caliber, and some are compensated.

Personally, I'd probably get the G17. I'm not a huge fan of 9MM either, but that's 17+1. I seem to recall that there may be more aftermarket stuff for the G17, although I'm not sure if that's true. I do know there are 30 or 33 round mags on the market for it. That's pretty cool.

Plus, of the handgun calibers, 9MM is some of theheapest. I assume if your 19 then your probably on a fairly limited budget.

Well actually I make pretty good money (1500+ a week) so budget isn't very tight lol. What gun (doesn't matter brand) would you recommend