Open carry - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Google the glock safety system..you will find all the info necessary to show you how the system works but in a nutshell, the central trigger lever blocks the main trigger from moving back unless it is pulled back first, meaning that if you were to try and move the trigger back to fire without activating the center lever, the trigger will not move. Go here to see the Glock safe action system:
http://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

Nope, they have what's called a 'psychological safety'...finger off trigger=safety on, finger on trigger=safety off...being serious BTW...

There is a trigger mechanism but I don't think that 'technically' qualifies as an official safety...Lots of semi-autos have this feature...
I really think that just to keep the trigger from going back everytime you rack it.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Yep, all internal..

Trigger safety
Stryker safety
Drop safety

Otherwise meaning.....no safety

"since the gun can only go off when you pull the trigger, lets put the safety lever ON THE TRIGGER!"

never made sense to me
Its still not classified as a manual safety. They call it passive, meaning it won't ever hinder operation of the firearm under normal shooting conditions. It does, however, stop the triggers momentum from moving it far enough rearward to fire the gun under sudden impact.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Not sure about open carry in America. Open carry isn't allowed here if it was nobody would do it anyway. If the people coming for you knew you had a firearm they would just make sure you didn't get a chance to use it. Not knowing someone had a firearm has saved people here in the past. If someone goes to rob a bank you are a customer for example if you have a concealed firearm you have a advantage. If you are open carrying you are going to get the first bullet.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
Not sure about open carry in America. Open carry isn't allowed here if it was nobody would do it anyway. If the people coming for you knew you had a firearm they would just make sure you didn't get a chance to use it. Not knowing someone had a firearm has saved people here in the past. If someone goes to rob a bank you are a customer for example if you have a concealed firearm you have a advantage. If you are open carrying you are going to get the first bullet.
I hear that a lot from opponents of open carry but have yet to hear of any actual incidents of this happening.

Last edited by Wolfeman1911; 08-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman1911 View Post
I hear that a lot from opponents of open carry but have yet to hear of any actual incidents of this happening.
The odds of this happening are slim. Just like the chances of getting shot are slim but people still carry firearms. Why limit your choices if you had a firearm concealed in a incident above you could choose to do nothing or act when you decide to you have the advantage they don't know you have a gun. If you are open carrying you limit your choices put your hands up or start shooting.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1036 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
The odds of this happening are slim. Just like the chances of getting shot are slim but people still carry firearms. Why limit your choices if you had a firearm concealed in a incident above you could choose to do nothing or act when you decide to you have the advantage they don't know you have a gun. If you are open carrying you limit your choices put your hands up or start shooting.
And you forgot the choice of the bad guy recognizing that someone had a tool that would put holes in him (or her) and choosing to look for a softer target.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

And you forgot the choice of the bad guy recognizing that someone had a tool that would put holes in him (or her) and choosing to look for a softer target.
Very true. I have thwarted an attempted mugging while open carrying, simply by rotating my hip and making sure they knew I has a firearm. I didn't get robbed so I didn't know with absolute certainty that was his objective, but when he saw it he did an immediate 180 so I think that's proof enough. Just my experience.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post

Why would they do that . Seeing you had a gun they would just walk up behind you and put a bullet in your head.
They don't know you have a gun you have advantage why give that up.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #40

Liked 2765 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 2663

When concealed you also have the disadvantage of having to dig through clothes to get to your weapon. There are downsides to everything.