Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   One in the chamber? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/one-chamber-52559/)

elglockeroloko30 11-27-2011 08:47 PM

One in the chamber?

Hi, I'm new to the world of guns and already own 2 glocks: a21 and a 23. I'm expecting to get my carrying license any time in Decemcer. A friend of mine who has own glock guns for some years told me that it is not recomendable to carry with one in the chamber because thy can jam. Guys in the gunstore i go told me the oposite, that if you do'nt have one in the chamber you should not carry at all. I'd like to read some feedback from more experience people on that matter and be thankfull to read some recomendations. BTW Im thinking of carrying both of them depending on the ocassion.

TimKS 11-27-2011 08:53 PM

Carrying a gun without one in the chamber is like carrying a heavy stick........always one in the chamber!

Quentin 11-27-2011 09:16 PM

You have to make that decision, no one here can make it for you. There's no doubt that a semiauto with an empty chamber is safer as far as accidental discharges, the worst of which is a small child finding the gun and pulling the trigger. But you're at a huge disadvantage if you have to rack the slide and fire quickly.

I don't know why your friend has the idea that a chambered round is more likely to jam a gun. Ignore that reason.

c3shooter 11-27-2011 09:17 PM

There is no MODERN firearm that is not made to be carried with a round chambered.

Without a round chambered, you have a club with a poor ergonomic design. Back in the heyday of the Colt Single Actions, they WERE carried without a round under the hammer, due to design, but cocking the revolver brought a round into battery to fire.

Good shop- good advice.
Friend- poor advice.

okdonk 11-27-2011 11:45 PM

1 in chamber.. as in cocked position? Thx guys..

shellshocker 11-28-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS
Carrying a gun without one in the chamber is like carrying a heavy stick........always one in the chamber!

That didn't really make any sense. Just saying

freefall 11-28-2011 01:13 AM

Yes, a heavy stick is much more effective and quickly deployed than an empty firearm.

Marlinman 11-28-2011 01:14 AM

I carry two gold cup standard colt 19911s fully loaded hammer back with the slide saftey on as do alot of guys on here so as c3 said the shop gave you good, possibly life saving, and yoir friend gave you possibly life threatening advice. Advice that may make you catch a major case of dead.

user123 11-28-2011 01:25 AM

Do you know of any LEO that carries without one in the chamber. It would be foolish not to do so. As long as the weapon is in a proper holster.

Marlinman 11-28-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user123
Do you know of any LEO that carries without one in the chamber. It would be foolish not to do so. As long as the weapon is in a proper holster.

1 or 2 but they are back up weapons and revolvers so it makes sense i think.