Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Novice shooter. Glock22.Advice welcome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Novice shooter. Glock22.Advice welcome

Just purchased my first pistol, glock 22. Was hoping to get some targeting tips and other advice a novice shooter can take.
I am having one issue currently, at around 15-20 ft I'm fairly accurate with my grouping, however when I raise my targeting to shoulder or head heigth my groupings are not tight or even close to my aiming. Generally low and to the left by 3" inches.
Any advice on grip, sights, stance greatly appreciated.
I have tried a .45 1911 and .357 SW and am fairly accurate @ the same distance while aiming @ the head, any reason why I am off with my glock?
If it helps I'm 5'8" tall, I worry I'm to short for my targets, hah.

Diego

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #2

i have a s&w .38 special, colt .357 mag. and a ruger .22 and i can pop ping pong balls from 20 yards with all 3 but cant seem to get a consistant group with my glock 23 .40 cal. somebody left a response to one of my prior questions saying that glocks arent made for consistancy they are made for reliability

Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #3

My Glock 20 is pretty accurate. I would say practice and practice and give it a bit of time and see what happens. Let me know how it works out for you. Best of luck

Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #4

Low and left with a Glock is a common issue. Its generally a problem with trigger control (squeezing with the whole hand as opposed to the trigger finger only). As you lift your arm to aim higher, you're exerting more and increasing biomechanical stress to your hands. Your bodys response is to try to squeeze harder with the whole hand.

This is an excellent diagnostic chart, assuming you're right handed:

(shamelessly hotlinked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
i have a s&w .38 special, colt .357 mag. and a ruger .22 and i can pop ping pong balls from 20 yards with all 3 but cant seem to get a consistant group with my glock 23 .40 cal. somebody left a response to one of my prior questions saying that glocks arent made for consistancy they are made for reliability
I own a 1911 (just to say I own one) and about a half a dozen Glocks. Most of the people that say that Glocks aren't accurate don't spend enough trigger time under proper tutalage to learn the trigger properly. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you have a lot of trigger time with other platforms, your crossover to the Glock safe-action trigger, you'll have problems. Its mostly experience and trigger time. I had the same issues at first, seriously.

Last edited by KellyTTE; 10-07-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:49 AM   #5

Appreciate the advice KellyTTE, I believe it has a lot to do with over anticipating the shot.I will definitely print up the chart and throw it in my range bag.
I shot a 1911 Para .45 with a 2lb comp trigger, I never experienced such a light trigger and therefore could not anticipate the trigger pull. End result was spot on accuracy.

What about using the sights?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomayra View Post
Appreciate the advice KellyTTE, I believe it has a lot to do with over anticipating the shot.I will definitely print up the chart and throw it in my range bag.
I shot a 1911 Para .45 with a 2lb comp trigger, I never experienced such a light trigger and therefore could not anticipate the trigger pull. End result was spot on accuracy.

What about using the sights?
My 1911 is a Para 13.45, they're pretty fun.

Anticipation and the Glock trigger are a hard combination. Because the striker doesn't break like a single stage trigger (ala 1911, etc) its harder to judge and promotes flinching. Several things helped, but what helped initially was a tutor (Mike Starling, formerly of Tactical Response) talking me thru my trigger pull. pressure pressure pressure *surprize* trigger break. Also stay on top of your trigger reset.

Yes use your sights, both eyes open.

Last edited by KellyTTE; 10-07-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

15-20 feet? You may be lining up the sights for longer distance. I think you should focus more on the front sight, and it should be a little above the rear sight notch for shooting close like that in my opinion. That may fix your low problem.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #8

Funny how so many "unique" problems turn out to be fairly common. I also recently bought a Glock 22 and have been having similar problems-- shooting low and to the left. I was convinced it was the gun until I started reading some forum posts. It can't be coincidence that so many new Glock owners have the same problem. Now, I'm pretty well convinced that I'm the problem, not the gun. The trigger pull issue makes the most sense. I'll concentrate on that next time I go to the range and see if it makes a difference.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As I said on another thread, it is a 2-stage trigger. Take up the slack, squeeze while sighting . Concentrate on sight alinement right through the shot.
A gun that is zeroed for 25 or 50 yards should shoot 1-3" low at 3 yards.
Your height doesn't matter . If you align your sights, the gun will naturally angle up as much as is necessary . The citizens who fired at the Texas Tower Killer, Charles Whitman, were not as tall as the tower ...
What does it take to master a Glock trigger ? Answer : About $300.00 (LOL)

Old 11-15-2008, 01:00 AM   #10

Hello

I have found that the best advice on handgun shooting is the US Army Pistol Marksmanship guide - http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_Un_Pistol_Train_Guide.pdf

It is a long doc. but you can pick out the important tips. Also you dont need to keep both eyes open when you shoot if you dont want to.