Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > NO Lead Bullets-please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm new on this forum but not new to handguns, reloading, 1911s or Glocks.

I spent all but the first 9 months of my law enforcement career carrying one model or other of Colt 45 ACPs. When I started my firearms training business (after retirement from LE) I continued to carry and shoot Colts. In my classes I started seeing lots of Glocks and figured I needed to learn something about them so I got into a Glock Armorer's school and learned what a well thought out bit of engineering they are. Simple, durable, reliable and easy to maintain. It was still 4 years before I finally broke down and started carrying one. This was after I had cracked the third alloy Commander frame (I shot what I carried).

Now to the question of lead. The Glock was conceived as a military handgun so the fact that they don't handle lead bullets shouldn't be a surprise or that big a deal. Used as they were intended (a duty sidearm) their aversion to lead isn't much of a problem. After market barrels with cut rifling solves the problem and I did that with my G21 because I was reloading a lot in those days. I put aside the 1911s and devoted a couple years to learning to shoot the Glock 45s (a G21 and G30 which became my daily carry gun). I shot the G21 in practical pistol competition and kept track of the number of reloads I put through it by counting the sleeves of LP Primers I went through for the handload I fed the 21 (a 200g SWC over 6g of 231 for ~900 fps). After 20,000 rounds without a gun related malfunction I quit counting.

Oh, and to show I too am not a cool aid drinker, the 1911 I "retired" when I took up the G21 was a lightly customized 1959 Colt Government Model. I had kept track of the rounds through that one to. It had 25,000 rounds through it and I guarantee if I go out the shop, open the safe, load a couple magazines and take the old Government Model out to the range it will digest them without a hitch.

Glocks are an important addition to the handgun world. They aren't perfect, but they are a fine tool. They are ugly as sin and don't have the character or prestige of a Colt GM, a Browning HP or an N-Frame Smith for that matter. But, they work and do so under most any circumstance. They take little care and you don't have to have a gunsmith on retainer to keep one running or change sights or any other part. If you don't like them...DON'T BUY ONE. At the same time, it sure gets old listening to the same old put downs. I'd hope this place might be different but in that it's pretty much like all the other forums. Oh well. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

RSVN Oct '69 - May '71
PSCD Ret.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nicely put. I own both, and the only thing I don't like about Glocks are the absence of an external safety.