NO Lead Bullets-please! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > NO Lead Bullets-please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ok so point out why glocks are so good? they can't handle Lead bullets the oldest bullets on the planet other than rocks. They can't handle a reload. If you put either of them in there the gun is going to blow up and turn you into Peg leg patch eye hook the pirate.

My 1911 will take lead, regular, +P 150, 185, 200, 210, 230 gr bullets lead, platted, or jacketed reloaded or new. My 1911 will function with any 45acp ammo I put in it from the cheapest wolf to the most expensive SD ammo and even the reloads I crank out at 1000 rounds an hour on my dillon 550b.

Sounds to me like Glock has some serious short comings the ergos are all wrong it sits to high in your hand it is modeled after a 2x4 wall stud.

I will buy and shoot anything but. It sounds like the glock is one of the worst made guns in the world. If I can't shoot reloads then why own it?

reloads cost so much less than factory new ammo.

I am not bagging on the glock just asking questions about why it is so good with all these short comings?
My glock21 handles any fmj and jhp ammo I choose to feed it, without question, without tuning.

I do not make, buy, or shoot HARD CAST lead bullets. I have no desire to shoot the oldest bullets on the face of the earth other than rocks. You may.

I have shot countless JHP and FMJ reloads, and I am not peg leg/eye patch

The bore axis on a glock will sit lower in my hand than any 1911. It is a different grip setup than a 1911 so you need to move your hand up on the grip. Its a different pistol, you must grip it different. You wouldnt grip a .357 revolver the same as you'd grip your 1911 would you?

When I point a 1911 my eye line is always smack in the middle of the slide, Have to pick my head up to see front sight then realign. Im sure some more practice with one would alleviate this problem I have, but it illustrates my point to the way the bore line relates to my hand.
Ive been shooting Glock pistols for over ten years. Not one single malfunction with the cheapest wolf to the most expensive SD ammo out there.

They are almost 1/2 as light, have nearly twice the capacity, and no sharp edges to irritate or snag while carrying. All while costing less.

No you cant dress them up, make them pretty, pimp them out or shoot the cheapest possible HARD CAST reloads, guess I've learned to live with that.

Its what I learned to shoot with so maybe thats why it fits me so well.

Im not bagging on the 1911 but Ive tried them over and over, and while they are undoubtably a great platform, they do not suit me.
The Glock suits my every need for a self defense weapon.-----Ken

Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

IN a SHTF sitrep you may have to shoot what ever is on hand. So that drops the "Wonderful 2x4 Glock" out of the questions.

Weight is not a factor to me as I would rather have a gun that fits my hand and not my wall.

Even with all the kool aid and touting of how great the glock is. You can't shoot anything in it at any time. My kimber will chew threw any load I put in her as long as it meets SAMMI specs. Glock's can't do that no matter what you say. You have to use factory new ammo with jacketed bullets. That is not AYTHING that is a specific ammo.

I know the glock is a GOOD weapon. It is just not all that every kool aid drinker makes out to be. It is good enough for me to stake my life on mainly because there is no way in hell I am going to put my good gun in the hands of some idiot cop who doesn't know his azz from the hole in the ground when it comes to firearms.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Tango, you've hit it right on. In my range trip with my Kimber I found it wouldn't cycle my 200gr handloads but I didn't really expect it to. I developed that load to play with in my XD which will eat anything I feed it. A glock is a good weapon but nothing more.

Honestly though, who would make a weapon that you can't shoot lead bullets thru? Maybe that's because he never wanted the public to have it and since the military uses jacketed bullets he didnt see a need to address this issue....Here we are 20 years later and this still has not been addressed even though the private segment is a huge part of your profit.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I dont drink kool-aid and I dont recall ever saying my glock was the greatest thing since sliced bread. 1911, glock,xd,sig,taurus,hk all good weapons. They all have their +'s and -'s.
My glock suits me better than the others, thats why I bought it, not because I think it is the ultimate answer to the pistol question.
Ive read all the old post and its funny I dont see many glock guys running all over the 1911 forum posting every thread why their pistols suck, or that they are ghey... seems to be quite the opposite.
I dont think I'd ever go to the xd,1911 forum to tell everyone there why my guns the greatest.
Maybe its all in good fun eh?
---Ken
Oh pretty sure reloaded ammunition voids factory warranty for kimber,hk,xd and others. May want to check your manuals to be sure.

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 09-23-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I dont drink kool-aid and I dont recall ever saying my glock was the greatest thing since sliced bread. 1911, glock,xd,sig,taurus,hk all good weapons. They all have their +'s and -'s.
My glock suits me better than the others, thats why I bought it, not because I think it is the ultimate answer to the pistol question.
Ive read all the old post and its funny I dont see many glock guys running all over the 1911 forum posting every thread why their pistols suck, or that they are ghey... seems to be quite the opposite.
I dont think I'd ever go to the xd,1911 forum to tell everyone there why my guns the greatest.
Maybe its all in good fun eh?
---Ken
Oh pretty sure reloaded ammunition voids factory warranty for kimber,hk,xd and others. May want to check your manuals to be sure.
Yeah! You do bring up good points. I never have told others that whatever pistol they choose to protect their life sucks or the reasons they shouldn't own one.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The Glock 17 was designed to fire military ball, FMJ. The hammer forged poly rifling was designed to deform the bullet less, decrease drag (higher velocity), create a tighter gas seal, and to be stronger than a cut rifling. It meets all of these criteria. HK used to use it almost exclusively, but it was too expensive to manufacture and increased the cost of the HK systems employing it. An original HK 91 with polygonal rifling will bring a LOT of money. The old Steyr GB had poly rifling, and was gas operated. It too said "No lead bullets". I think the HK P7 series say the same.

However, poly rifling is prone to "leading" when soft lead bullets are fired. That said, I have fired untold thousands of lead bullets through my Glocks (even .40's, perish the thought!) and had no problems. But about every 100-200 rounds I fire a couple of jacketed rounds to clean out the lead. I also clean the lead out judiciously, no matter what firearm it has been through (Kroil works great for this), after range time is over.

Earlier this year, several of my Glock 9mm's (2 17's, 1 19 and 1 34) were loaned to students in a 2 day pistol class. Due to ammo shortages the only rds available were lead reloads from the range pro shop. These guns did not get the courtesy cleanings, or jacketed rounds fired due to the rate of fire and time constraints. But none of them had any issues, and each got in excess of 500+ fired before cleaning. And some, more than double that. No issues. And other students with their own Glocks used the same ammo with no problems.

In my recent move I rediscovered several .50 cal ammo cans full of bulk lead bullets in 9mm, .40 and .45 (they are REALLY heavy, by the way). I will load them all and shoot them up without a second thought (but the .45's I'll load for my Gold Cups).

I've fired so many lead bullets through various S&W revolvers over the years that I have bound up the cylinders from lead build up around the frame and cylinder face. I scrape that off with a screwdriver (very carefully) and it comes off in nuggets and chunks. I've had it to the point that lead build up in the chambers prevents chambering live rounds, until it is cleaned out.

So, be careful when using lead bullets in anything, but in small amounts they have never been a problem for me.

And , every firearm manufacturer that I know of says, "Firing reloaded ammunition through this firearm will void the warranty".

Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #17

I live in Oregon where the Portland Police quit using .40 & .45 cal. Glocks after repeated blow ups and officers being injured due to the unsuported chambers with hot ammo,.......ammo that wouldn't even phase a 1911.
I've shot and owned plane ol' G.I. spec Colts that wouldn't choke on any ammo you gave it, hallow points, wad cutters,....etc.
My only real beef with Glocks is that I have NEVER shot one that was as accurate as a baseline stock G.I. spec 1911 and they are much bulkier for carrying, especialy inside the waistband, even though they are lighter,....unloaded.
I won't get into the awfull grip angle, mushy triggers and lack of any REAL safeties because some people actualy like those features.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ok so point out why glocks are so good? they can't handle Lead bullets the oldest bullets on the planet other than rocks. They can't handle a reload. If you put either of them in there the gun is going to blow up and turn you into Peg leg patch eye hook the pirate.

My 1911 will take lead, regular, +P 150, 185, 200, 210, 230 gr bullets lead, platted, or jacketed reloaded or new. My 1911 will function with any 45acp ammo I put in it from the cheapest wolf to the most expensive SD ammo and even the reloads I crank out at 1000 rounds an hour on my dillon 550b.

Sounds to me like Glock has some serious short comings the ergos are all wrong it sits to high in your hand it is modeled after a 2x4 wall stud.

I will buy and shoot anything but. It sounds like the glock is one of the worst made guns in the world. If I can't shoot reloads then why own it?

reloads cost so much less than factory new ammo.

I am not bagging on the glock just asking questions about why it is so good with all these short comings?
Actually, GLOCKs can handle reloads, very well. When firing any round, and there is a catastrophic incident due to the ammunition, GLOCK will repair it, and ask the maker of the ammo to compensate them for it. In the case of reloads, that is the owner.

GLOCKs should use an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead, although I have heard of people using hard-cast lead out of GLOCKs with no problems. And before you complain about having to spend extra money, out of every 10 1911 shooters, at least 5 of them spent extra money after the fact to change something. Of the remaining 5, only 1 of them bought the gun out of the box as G.I. Spec, and he didn't buy it to carry it...

GLOCK chambers are less supported than other guns, but only in the .40 S&W and .357Sig models. From my experience remanufacturing over 1,000,000 rounds, Hi-Powers in .40S&W and 1911s that have had the throat worked on are just as bad, if not worse.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
From my experience remanufacturing over 1,000,000 rounds
Where do you work that you have remanufactured over a million rounds of ammo??

Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

At a small ammo manufacturer.

That number is over a span of 5 years.