Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > A nice article to look at for all of you caliber junkies out there.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Default A nice article to look at for all of you caliber junkies out there.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866
There are so many articles available on the web about this sort of thing but this guy definitely did his homework. Good hard data for everyone to come up with their own decision what gun to grab when walking out the front door.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #2

Nice article. Problem with it is there is no control element to determine the efficacy of each round. As he states, more than half the 9mm hits were FMJ instead of JHP. All this tells me is that FMJ is cheaper than JHP thus more people shoot it. It's really cool that he took the time to do that but alas it's really not very useful although very informative.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

1. By his numbers, a .32 auto is more likely to stop an assailant than a .45 ACP. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........Does the Army know about this?

2. Ammo is cheap. If it was worth shooting, it was worth shooting twice. My standard practice for SD is double tap.

3. Bullet placement Bullet placement Bullet placement.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce
Nice article. Problem with it is there is no control element to determine the efficacy of each round. As he states, more than half the 9mm hits were FMJ instead of JHP. All this tells me is that FMJ is cheaper than JHP thus more people shoot it. It's really cool that he took the time to do that but alas it's really not very useful although very informative.
And I agree with you to a point about the 9mm. Anyone I know who legally carries always uses hp's which is kinda crazy that half of the people carried fmj instead. But given the data it shows you how close of a comparison between the top 4 calibers-.380, 9mm, .40 and .45 on stopping power. That each caliber took at least 2 shots for incapacitation. Thought that was pretty crazy

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #5

Yeah, I thought that was crazy too. However, head hits and torso hits are treated the same and they shouldn't be. How often was someone hit in the head and not incapacitated as opposed to being hit in the torso? Another factor is the size of the person hit. Or how many were on some sort of drug when hit?

And my comment comparing FMJ and JHP really has more to do with the average person not fully understand the difference in the two rounds. Most non-gun people who shoot a gun every now and then think a bullet is a bullet.

I wonder how many of these shooters actually carried legally.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #6

"I also excluded all cases of accidental shootings or suicides. Every shot in this study took place during a military battle or an altercation with a criminal.'

That's a quote from the author. I would assume he means military, police and possibly legal carrying citizens. I think ill email the author to get clarification on the matter, I would like to know. And as far as size of person, that's the bad things about articles like this b/c there really are way too many variables. But as far as the other data it seems pretty solid.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #7

I agree. I'm not knocking his efforts. I applaud them. However, this subject is one that will rage on regardless of the studies done because of the sheer number of variables. WAIT! I got a great idea! We can take all the people on death row and use them to test the stopping power of various rounds. No more tax dollars spent on keeping them on death row and we finally get an answer!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #8

Well I just emailed the author to see what he tells me. Yea man I agree with you 100%, studies like this are great but way too many variables. This is really the only one I've read though that had really good hard data to go off of.
I just get so tired of hearing from the .45 and .40 people that 9mm are for sissies and yada yada yada. Being primarily a 9mm enthusiast, I just want to rub something in their faces to show them the differences aren't great between the 3. And as far as the death row inmates, ill sign the petition.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
"I also excluded all cases of accidental shootings or suicides. Every shot in this study took place during a military battle or an altercation with a criminal.'
Inclusion of military shootings would explain the high percentage of FMJ rounds used.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59

Inclusion of military shootings would explain the high percentage of FMJ rounds used.
That makes perfect sense. I don't know why I didn't think about that.

~John F. Kennedy