Newbie with Ammo Questions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Newbie with Ammo Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Newbie with Ammo Questions

Hey guys,

First, I'm an absolutely new to this whole world. I've never owned a firearm in my life. I just bought a Glock 19 with the main purpose of home defense, but also to enjoy recreational shooting at the range.

That being said, I wanted to educate myself a little on different aspects of firearms. First, I wanted to start with ammo. I've been researching, and reading different articles. I'm starting to understand a few differences between different ammos, but I have some questions still that I can't seem to find straight answers to.

First, I'm wanting to buy two sets of ammo: one for self defense, and the other for shooting at the range for fun. As far as the self defense ammo, I think I've narrowed it down to three different types. I wanted to get y'all's opinion, and see if there are any other SD ammos I should consider.
1. Remington Golden Saber
2. Winchester SXZ Personal Protection
3. Federal Premium Guard Dog

As far as range shooting, I've just been using Remington Luger 115 grain.

At some point, I will use all four of those at the range. I would like to test the three home defense ammos to see what feels/works best for me. But my local range has this posted on their website:

"We only ask that you not bring steel or aluminum cased ammunition, or steel core, steel jacketed, copper coated steel jacketed or armor piercing projectiles."

Do any of the above ammos fall into one of these categories? I'm not exactly sure what ammo falls in this category to be honest.

Anyways, thanks for helping out the new guy!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4088 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 2030

Partial answer. The Golden Saber is tried and true, I trust it myself. The Guard Dog is new relatively, and the STZ I had to look up, turned out to be a basspro exclusive. The saber is brass, STZ probably is, guard dog may or may not be aluminum alloy. None of these are armor piercing.

Given that you just might test a box of 20 expensive rounds, you might ask the range for an exception, with the promise to pick up every non-brass shellcase.
Shawncfer Likes This 
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

I'll try to answer starting with your last question first. None of your listed loads use steel or aluminum cases or steel containing projectiles. Many ranges make you leave your brass cases so that they can make more money on reselling them for reloading or for recycling.

Many steel and aluminum shells cannot be reloaded. Projectiles that contain steel or use steel jackets may increase wear on range backstops.

9mm is a common beginners round. It is widely used around the globe. Because of that it is often a source of confusion for new shooters because it comes under many names. 9mm Parabellum or Para, 9x19mm, 9mm NATO, 9mm Luger all are the same round. Other cartridges that use 9mm diameter projectiles exist and shouldn't be confused with the 9x19 round. .380 is refered to as a 9mm short round in many countries, (9mm Kurtz, 9mm corto, etc.)

When considering practice ammo there are lots of good brands. Remington is ok, Winchester, Federal, PMC, Fiocchi, Speer, CCI Blazer Brass (their regular blazer line uses aluminum cases), are all brands I've had good luck with.

For defensive ammo, try several brands. Function and accuracy are first and foremost in my consideration. Lots of good brands are out there once again. If your gun won't feed them or if you can't hit your target, it doesn't matter how good the bullet performs on a bad guy. Golden Saber, Winchester PDX, Winchester Ranger, SXT, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST and lots of brands that use Hornady XTP bullets all are worthy of consideration. Then find the one that feeds the best and gives you the best accuracy.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-28-2014 at 10:05 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Liked 3253 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 4900

To avoid any problems, and in support of my LGS. I just buy their reloads for use on the indoor range. It's good stuff (Precision Cartridge) never had a problem with it, and it's priced right.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

For defensive ammo, try several brands. Function and accuracy are first and foremost in my consideration. Lots of good brands are out there once again. If your gun won't feed them or if you can't hit your target, it doesn't matter how good the bullet performs on a bad guy. Golden Saber, Winchester PDX, Winchester Ranger, SXT, Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST and lots of brands that use Horned XTP bullets all are worthy of consideration. Then find the one that feeds the best and gives you the best accuracy.[/QUOTE]

This is spot on, some guns have a hard time feeding hollow point. Even the owners manual tells you the gun was not designed to. However doesn't mean it won't. I like the zombie ammo for this reason. It has a filler material in the hollow point and seems to help it slide on the feed ramp.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #6

Liked 245 Times on 180 Posts

The couple ranges I go to around here, one free and one fee ( membership ). They don't care what ammo you shoot. And I shoot a wide variety. Some like Tula will function well in some guns and not at all in others. But I do think brass is the best by far. As far as ball ammo goes, I don't think you will have any problems with any brass case ammo out there.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Hey, Shawncfer, welcome to the FTF

from Tampa Bay.

Get a reloading manual. Even if you

never reload, they are a wealth of

information.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #8

Liked 327 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 49

FMJ/range ammo- Buy what's cheap and suits your needs. Buy more than you need...because sooner or later it will be tough to come by at a fair price for a matter of months (or longer). Most of mine is either Federal Champion or Winchester White Box. All else equal, I prefer 100rd boxes of WWB. They're loaded a little hotter than most and packed like sardines...which occupies less space at home or in the range bag. I buy my FMJs locally at Walmart, Bi-Mart, etc for $10-14 per 50.

JHP/defense ammo- There are a dozen or more great options. The affordable staple options will be Speer Gold Dots, Rem Golden Sabres, Federal Hydrashoks, and Winchester Rangers. My preference is the Winchester Rangers in 124gr or heavier, and I like to buy them in the 50rd boxes to keep the cost down. All of the above are fine choices and there are several others that could be added to this list. Just about anything from CorBon or Hornady is golden, and PMC and Fiocchi have always treated me well too. You can get into some really good 9mm JHPs for about $20-30 per 50rds here.

Everything listed above is brass-cased, although Hornady does sell some steel cased ammo.

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-30-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

First- welcome to the forum- we're glad you found your way to us. When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say hello.

You have been given some good information by the folks up there ^^^. One additional point- you DID say you have a Glock 19? The Glock uses a different type of rifling than most handguns, and should not be fired with unjacketed lead bullet ammo. They will build up lead in the barrel, and become unsafe to shoot.

The rounds you listed are all metal jacketed, and should work fine. But eventually you will run across some low cost range ammo (reloads in many cases) that has unjacketed bullets.

Gold Dot, Golden Saber or Hydra Shock are all good defensive rounds, but DO make sure that the cycle in YOUR gun.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

For practice rounds, I typically buy the cheapest round I can find, often at Wal-Mart. That means I have a real mish mash of full metal jacket (FMJ) ammo in my supply at any time. There's no scientific thought to it, but it does give me an opportunity of how my guns perform with all kinds of rounds.

For defensive rounds, I settled on Hornady Critical Defense years ago shortly after it was introduced. There are many other rounds that would probably work just as well, but its never let me down.

Another piece of advice... You're going to want to get a 22 sometime soon, probably once this ammo scare is over and there's a regular supply of 22 on the shelves again. 22's are less expensive to shoot and a lot of fun. And that means more practice.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA