new/used glock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > new/used glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default new/used glock

Ok first i would like to start by saying yes i already own a glock and have for a few years now so most of the common sense things i already know. Now with that being said i bought a glock 23 yesterday and upon inspection the gun seemed fine, i just noticed a few inconsistencies. The gun its self looks new, the hole where the firing pin comes out had a slight circle in it from being fired, there's was the copper looking goo every where in it, and the envelope that contains the empty case that comes with glocks has 2 casing instead of one and had a technician's name printed on it and he signed the bottom and the envelope is sealed with tape and has DA wrote on it. the last thing i noticed is the barrel (while having matching numbers) don't really match the gun, as it is a more gray then black. I was just wondering if i may have purchased a re furbished gun and not a new one. The gun it's self was made in mid 2009

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Ok first i would like to start by saying yes i already own a glock and have for a few years now so most of the common sense things i already know. Now with that being said i bought a glock 23 yesterday and upon inspection the gun seemed fine, i just noticed a few inconsistencies. The gun its self looks new, the hole where the firing pin comes out had a slight circle in it from being fired, there's was the copper looking goo every where in it, and the envelope that contains the empty case that comes with glocks has 2 casing instead of one and had a technician's name printed on it and he signed the bottom and the envelope is sealed with tape and has DA wrote on it. the last thing i noticed is the barrel (while having matching numbers) don't really match the gun, as it is a more gray then black. I was just wondering if i may have purchased a re furbished gun and not a new one. The gun it's self was made in mid 2009
The empty cases are test fires. The sealed one, to the best of my knowledge ,is to go on file with the District Attorney in a few locales if you purchase there(maryland I think is one). I believe the ffl takes it when they sell the pistol. They don't bother taking the "extra" case if you don't live/buy in that area.
The slight circle near the firing pin is brass casing residue from the test fires.
The copper grease is the factory lube glock uses.
The barrels on my glocks, before I sold them, Did look a little lighter than the slide. I think that is because the barrel metal is given a finer polish than the slide so it takes the tenifer finish a little different.

Id say your pistol is fine IMO.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Cool, just wanted to make sure as i have never seen the test fire round envelope signed by a technician before. i figured it would be to verify the pistols was maybe repaired and is working right or something.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #4

Yup, it's fine. The fired cartridge thing is done by Ruger (and I'm sure others) as well. If you ask me, it's nothing less than registration. I'm glad I don't live where they require that.
Anyway, enjoy your new pistol.
I'm a new owner of a G20 10mm and love it. You gotta love Glock simplicity. I love a gun that I can take apart and put back together myself

MotorG20

Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #5

edit...see below

Last edited by psychobabble; 02-15-2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: double entry

Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #6

I got my G26 new at Gander Mtn on Thanksgiving 2009 and it had the fired casings, too. Same with the finish of the barrel vs slide. The front edge of the barrel that is visible at the front lip of the ejection port wears down a bit if it's been fired for (substantially) more than the two rounds they use to get the casings. My gun was manufactured on July 2009 according to the sticker on the hard case that the gun came in. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The copper is lube that is factory applied. They recomend leaving it on as long as possible.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....