New Member/New Owner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New Member/New Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Member/New Owner

Hello from sweet home Alabama, looks like a nice place to get a answer to a question. Not new to guns but today picked up my first Glock. Its a Police trade in from milwaukee county sheriffs Office. Its a Glock 22 with a NY trigger and night sights. Gun is in great shape for a LEO gun with little wear at all that i can see and night sights still glow bright. Ive shot it once just to make sure it would fire in the back yard but will wait till i get to the range for more testing. The NY trigger is what got me confused, The trigger pulled felt great and didnt think it was a heavy trigger at all and had a nice firm break when fired. Wondering if the NY trigger was swapped out for original trigger. I only broke it down as far as taking the slide off and barrel and spring out for cleaning and not sure i could tell or can you tell what trigger is in it by looking? What do i need to do to tell whats in it? Also the magazine release button is sort of spongy and the mag does not fall free when pushed. It locks in tight and snaps when inserted just have to grab it to pull it out. Can a new spring fix this and can it be done by me or somebody with more experience with glocks? A lot of questions i know and thanks for any help. Look forward to learning a few things about this pistol. Oh... gave 339 for it at local gun shop.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Righteous,

First of all if it has a NY Trigger in it I would get the standard 5.5 lb. Trigger put in it. The NY Trigger is normally at 8.5 lb. pull and one heavier. It is easy to tell the difference between the standard and the NY Trigger. The standard just has a single coil spring while the NY is an assembly with a coil spring that slips into the receiver. If you wish to see what they look like without me giving a lengthy dissertation. Go to Google and just type in "Pictures of the Glock NY Trigger" You will see the difference immediately. Let us know here on the Forum if we can help. They are fine weapons my duty pistol was a Glock 22 with the 5.5 lb. trigger.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #3

kool found the pic from google was looking for. It has the NY1 trigger in it. I'll play with it a bit and see how that goes then if it gets bothersome i'll change it out. Gotta fix the mag problem now.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

righteous,

What you probably should do is go to a shop or a gun show in your area. You will probably see someone that has a sign up who specializes in Glock Pistols. Usually the sign says something like "Glock Doctor" or something similar. Generally these guys are very good and can fix almost any problem with the pistol in a couple of minutes. You can also go on the web and check your local area. Is the Mag Release doing this on a specific magazine or just one. Also you do not want to over depress the mag release button this will also seem to lock them up. But I will guarantee you that you will like the 5.5 lb.
when the time comes.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #5

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Looks like you did well with your new to you Gen 3. A couple months ago I bought a Gen 2 G22 trade in and no problems with it at all. Don't know which PD it's from but it has the standard trigger. Nothing wrong with the NY1 trigger, some people like the heavier pull but you can change it out easily if you don't like it.

How many magazines do you have or have access to? Some old Glock mags and Korean mags won't drop free so you might want to try a new Glock mag to be sure your problem isn't the mags instead of the mag release, which rarely gives problems.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Was at the range at 6:30 am, gun ran without a hitch as a glock should. About the NY1 trigger....it sucks lol. Such a hard pull its hard to keep it on the target time it breaks. At first on the steel plates at 25 yardsi was hitting half the time with most shots going to the left that i thought sights were off. Put up a paper target and got it on the bench where i could brace the gun better and found the sights to be right on the money. This would take a lot of getting used to but will swap this trigger out for factory one. Only had the one magazine but will pick another one up today to see if that problem goes away, it held in tight during firing. Dont care for the night sights, might be easy to see at low light but for me there hard to see in daylight so i know i will go back to the 3 dot white sights.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

Well didnt take long to correct things, got the trigger changed out to 3.5 lbs and took night sights off and have standard glock sights now with the square rear and front dot. Like it alot better already. The magazine catch was not the problem it was the mag itself. Got another factory glock mag and it drops free and works like it suspose to. Now to go play at the range some more woohoo.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #8

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Sounds like you got it the way you want now. Glad it wasn't the mag release, I didn't think it would be. Of course if it had been it's not hard to fix either.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.