Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   new - to me -G21 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/new-me-g21-34377/)

kenl 11-14-2010 01:53 PM

new - to me -G21

Hi

Just bought a friend's g21. Haven't shot it yet. Will be taking it out to the range after it's Kali-imposed quarantine period is over.

Never really wanted a Glock, didn't even know what model I agreed to buy until the day before I paid for it, but the price was right, the money helped him. I'm glad it turned out to be the .45acp. I already have two 9mm's (S&W 915 & Ruger Blackhawk), so I was just thinking about using it for a trade gun if it was a g17/19.

But I don't know much about Glocks, or it. I am thinking about getting into a 3-gun Bulls-eye league. Are Glocks usable in competition?

I reload. there is some debate about if you can reload brass shot from a stock barrel. Is this true? Do I need to consider an aftermarket one?

Any other insights?

Thanks!

kenl 11-14-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenl (Post 386165)
I reload. there is some debate about if you can reload brass shot from a stock barrel. Is this true? Do I need to consider an aftermarket one?
Thanks!

Well, doing a bit more research, and digging into the KB! issues:eek:, think I'll just reload for the SW, wheel guns, and rifles.

Still would welcome any other insights.

Thanks!

CA357 11-14-2010 08:10 PM

Congrats on your new .45 pistol. Enjoy that rascal.

hunter Joe 11-14-2010 08:20 PM

Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

Glocks take the shooting sports very seriously.

I don't know anyone who reloads and owns a Glock that doesn't use reloads in their Glocks. Make sure you use jacketed or plated bullets and don't try and jack them up too high.

Logan2302 11-14-2010 09:41 PM

I shoot reloads in all my Glocks. I use Power Pistol, 1 or 2 steps below max, using Sierra's data in 40 S&W & 45 acp with JHP's. I'm never afraid to pull the trigger.

Alliant's data available on the web looks too hot if I remember correctly, and I use it only for general reference.

indyfan 11-14-2010 09:47 PM

First of all, Congrats on the Glock purchase and welcome to the family.

Secondly, Glocks are great for shooting competition, a lot of people prefer them because there is no safety outside the gun to mess with like in a 1911 and it doesn't have a long double action trigger pull on the first shot like with a Beretta or other DA/SA handguns. (Most shooting competitions require that the handgun must have the safety engaged when it is in the holster.)

With a Glock you simply draw it and fire. Safety is built in. It's a really easy gun to use.

As for using reloads, like hunter joe said, use jacketed or plated rounds and don't put too much powder in the reloads. Most of Glock Kabooms are because people use lead bullets and don't clean the barrel or people use hot reloads.

and remember, a Kaboom can happen in any gun and most of the time it happens because of hot reloads.

kenl 11-15-2010 11:51 AM

Thank you for the replies. OK, since I load on the mild side, guess reloading is still an option. Cool. Any favorite powders or recommended loads? Anyone use Blue-dot or x700?

Thanks!

Dizzll 11-16-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenl (Post 386165)

Any other insights?

Thanks!

I'm no expert but I own 4 Glocks and they fire everything fine. From the internet (take it for what it is) I have found no evidence of KB in standard pressure reloads.

willfully armed 11-16-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenl (Post 386710)
Thank you for the replies. OK, since I load on the mild side, guess reloading is still an option. Cool. Any favorite powders or recommended loads? Anyone use Blue-dot or x700?

Thanks!

I regularly shoot IDPA. went from a 2nd gen g17, to a 3rd gen G20, to a 3rd gen G17, and settled on the G34.

Glocks are status quo for sports like USPSA, IDPA, and IPSC stock service pistold or production classes.

Id recommend a little less magnum powder. I run IMR 4756, Bullseye and Unique.

Use plated or Jacketed bullets, no lead.

Reload responsibly and there are no KB'd Glocks.

Uchahi 11-24-2010 03:26 AM

That is an awesome gun. I purchased mine on my 21st birthday and since it was a Glock 21 it seem quite fitting. No kick at all, love the .45 cal it was a great purchase you made no doubt.