Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   New gun owner here...question regarding sights... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/new-gun-owner-here-question-regarding-sights-4787/)

glock19owner 06-04-2008 08:34 PM

New gun owner here...question regarding sights...

I've been reading a lot of threads on this site and others regarding the stock sights on Glocks. I've heard a lot of people complain about how bad they are. Just wondering why everyone thinks they are so bad. I'm very new to this and have only been out shooting with my gun (Glock 19) a few times so I don't know how to tell if the sights are bad or not. I'm just learning so I don't know what's good or bad yet. I'm taking a basic pistol class/CCW in a few weeks so maybe I'll get more insight there but just wanted to hear the opinions on this board. Thanks!

chorst294 06-04-2008 08:41 PM

I think it's more of a personal preference than anything. I have several Glocks and the stock sights work fine for me. I do prefer the nightsights though. I've tried guns with many aftermarket sights on them and have found them very useful, but not enough for me to spend that much money to replace my adequate stock sights. I'd try out as many different sights as you can at the class and make the decision for yourself what you like and if it's worth replacing your factory sights.

glock19owner 06-04-2008 08:43 PM

Thanks! What night sights do you recommend?

G21.45 06-04-2008 10:29 PM

:) It's not that the standard Glock factory sights are, 'bad'; instead, it's that they're made of plastic and can be easily damaged.

There's lots of, 'good' pistol sights out there: Tru-Glo TFO's, Meprolights, Trijicon, and Heinie Slant-Pro/Straight 8's to name just a few. I'm presently running Meprolights; but, I'd use any of the aforementioned brands.

chorst294 06-05-2008 12:40 AM

I'm not sure of the brand, they came as a factory option for Glocks. They may be Trijicon.

G21.45 06-05-2008 04:22 AM

:) What does the code say on the side of the sights? Generally speaking, (but not always) 'MH3' would indicate Meprolight/Tritium, 'TH3' is Trijicon/Tritium, and 'GH3' is for Glock. In any case, Meprolight makes the acrylic vials for both their own and Glock's night sights; and, Trijicon uses a glass vial from I don't know where? ;)

chorst294 06-05-2008 06:17 AM

I checked the side of my sights and they are Trijicon. They've served me pretty. I use a Glock 21SF .45 at my home and have a Glock brand attached light which works very well. I can also positively identify an intruder before eliminating the threat.

RePete 06-05-2008 11:37 AM

As G21.45 said it's not that there is anything wrong with the plastic sights, I think they give a great sight picture, it's just that steel is better, especially if you shoot competition. The front sight gets damaged by hitting props, wear from holster draws etc.

I recommend the Warren Savigny Carry sights and they are availible with tritium.

I have 2 Glocks (17 & 35) and I changed the sights on the 17 to the Warren Savigny set but the 35 came with Meprolite sight.