New to glocks!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New to glocks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to glocks!

Hi everyone, today is my first time in my life EVER purchasing a GLOCK!
now I know I might get canned for this one in here, but I've only owned and shot 1911's as a trophy. I've only heard good things in the past and present regarding the glocks. So??? I went out, felt and took a close look at 23 3rd generation 40 cal glock. I wanted a gun that can outstand any circumstance with precision reliability when it comes to a backup pistol in case of emergencies, or maybe not even a backup? Maybe the first pick before anything heinous happens. I really hope you guys can help me out on my chosen style. I know nothing much about the gen differences, 4th gen was not available in California, thanks everyone!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I've never owned one but from what I read and hear they are reliable, accurate and dependable. With Glocks, like most things in life, some people hate 'em, some love 'em...although Glocks do tend to have a somewhat cult-like following by some. It's really not a whole lot different than the Ford, Chevy, Mopar (Dodge) followers of the past. Like cars, there is really not a vast difference in quality, function and reliability between Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, and the other major brands of non-1911 semi-auto pistols, it's all about personal preference and what feels comfortable to you.

Functionally, I don't think there are any revolutionary differences between a 3rd and 4th Gen so you are not losing out on much, they just tried to make it more like the XDm 40...

j/k best of luck with it...now go shoot the snot out of it and post a range report.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-05-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #3

Hahahaha! I actually was looking at some XD pistols but I just didn't like the way they looked. Much boxier than the glock, I wanted something compact besides my awesome sa loaded 1911

Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You Chad, like our country are headed in the wrong direction!

Both in gun and caliber selection.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #5

LOL! oh come on cane! I'm 1911 all the
Way. And I'm. Visual person so 1911 feel and look is the only option for me. If I was allowed to only pick one type of handgun to keep in life it would be a 1911. But I wanted something compact and side dished. And I hear that these glocks are pretty reliable for second hand backup.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I own two Glocks, a G-32 (357 SIG) and a G-21 (.45 ACP). IMO they are among the finest firearms I own. My collection includes a wide variety of brands and calibers but the Glocks are on the top of my list for reliability, accuracy and affordability.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #7

Are that that reliable as they say? I sort of bought it as a backup gun from all this reliability talk. So a compact g23 40 cal. Just invade my 1911 45 goes wrong SOME how. Was going to get a nine but seemed too small for stopping power as backup

Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Chad...PM sent

Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

One thing I'd like to add. The Glock trigger is nothing at all even close to a 1911. The 1911 has a ferrari trigger and the Glock has a VW beetle trigger. Here is a little exercise to help you get used to the Glock trigger reset. At the range after you fire your first round keep the trigger pulled all the way to the rear. It will be difficult at first not to let the "slack" out by releasing the trigger but keep it pulled all the way after the gun discharges. Next ease the trigger forward until you FEEL and HEAR the trigger reset (yes even with ear protection you will hear the trigger "click" into reset) when you FEEL and HEAR the trigger reset stop and when you apply pressure again it will go bang with very little travel. You can practice this at home with an UNLOADED Glock. Simply rack the slide pull the trigger holding it to the rear, while still holding it all the way to the rear rack the slide again and let the trigger ease out until it resets and continue. This practice will eliminate some of the trigger pull and I have personally witnessed this greatly improve accuracy for shooters. It will help you get used to the sorta sloppy trigger after being spoiled by the fine 1911 trigger. Let me k ow if it helps.
Peace

Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #10

I like 1911's for their asthetic value and looks. The design is second to none, but you can't beat a Glock, period ! With a total of 34 parts they are the simplest guns in the world. They are nearly indestructible ! They were dipped in mud, frozen in ice, buried in sand and fired underwater. They ran them over with cars & trucks and they still went bang when the trigger was pulled ! They also have the best finish in the buisiness !
I own both Glocks and XD/XDM's and like them both. XD's are a bit sweeter but Glocks are all buisiness and tougher. You can't go wrong with a Glock ! So far I have the Model 17 Gen 4 and the 26 Gen 3. Next on my list is either a G-31 or 32 in 357 Sig {Awesome round by the way!} The Glock may take a back door to a CZ 83 only because I have a ton of 380 ammo and no gun for it. That's another story though. I wish the US would import Glock 380's here, I'd get one in a heartbeat !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .