Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New Glock Owner - Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Glock Owner - Problem

Hello out there. I'm hoping someone can help me. I just bought my first gun (a Glock 17) two days ago and I already got myself into a problem. When I got home I disassembled and cleaned the gun with instructions off of the internet. No problem there, but when I went to reassemble, I made a mistake.

Rather than replacing the slide from the front and drawing it backwards, I replaced it from the front and pushed forwards. The slide is now caught on the back rails, not able to go any farther backwards or forwards than shown in the pictures below.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any words of wisdom for a new gun owner. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #2

Personally i wouldve said screw a glock get a Sig but im not sure how u managed to pull that one off. If i can figure out a way i will post it up for u.

All it takes for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing....

Old 06-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Obviously the recoil rod is what has it all in a bind. You can get a new recoil rod assembly for under $10, so if I were you.....I'd cut it, or break it off, then maybe your slide will come down enough for you to push the slide forward enough to get it off. Since the recoil rod doesn't appear to be where it should locked up by the barrel lug....maybe it is up against the locking block. If that's the case, maybe you can punch out the locking block pin and everything will come loose. Just push the slide forward instead of twisting it up off the rear rails. There may also be some damage to the ejector, but we'll hope for the best.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 AM   #4

How on earth is that even possible? Better hope cane doesnt see this thread or he will add this to his Glocktasterfy fotos. Is your barrel caught on anything?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
How on earth is that even possible?

I have to second this. I tried to copy your problem with one of my glocks to see if I can help you. You must yanked the crap out of that slide in order to get it stock like that. The only thing I can suggest is to get a flathead screwdriver and place it underneath the guiding rod. Lift up and down at the same time you are pushing foward the slide from the back. Might wanna do that using the floor or a hard flat surface. Glocks a tough guns. I have personally
have seen them been abuse to the pulp for 3.5 yrs and they still running. I own 5 myself.
Next time if it doesn't slide in smooth don't slide it or force it. Let me know if it work.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

You have yourself in a pickle. I would say your best bet is to try to snip the recoil spring out of there. What ever you do don't try to force or "beat" the slide back down. Might mess everything up even more. once you get it fixed just be careful

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Ahh hell.... just take that damn glock back to where you got it and trade up for a S&W M&P .40 or .45. There, problem solved.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #8

My words of wisdom invest in a taser all you have to with those is replace batteries.

LOL

I am sorry I couldn't help my self good luck man.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

I personally second the cutting of the guide rod and recoil spring. Then it gives you an excuse to upgrade to a stainless set.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Big....rubber....hammer

Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #10

Liked 1020 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 317

I think Ramrod is right but...

I would take it to a gunsmith. Before I fired it I would like the peace of mind of having an expert look at it to make sure that nothing else appears to be damaged. It's your first gun, and you don't want a experience with it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Tags
glock17, mistake, newbie, problem, reassembly