Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > new to glock/ firearms in general

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default new to glock/ firearms in general

Help me out plz. What's the difference between a glock 19, glock 19 Gen 3 , and glock 19 Gen 4

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

There are first second third and forth gen glocks gens one through 3 are bassicly the same design with slight changes in the grip design pattern and added springs or pins but now the gen 4 is out and parts can not be interchanged its got a dual recoil spring and bigger mag release I don't like the gen 4 also the gen 1 and 2 don't have thumb rests accessory rail and finer groves the gens 3 and four do so it really comes down to preference but I wouldn't by anything but a gen 3 not because of the finer groves and thumb rests i personly like a flat grip but i gotta have an accessory rail and welcome to the forum gens 1 and 2 are good for parts on the 3 if you need em

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 09-06-2012 at 05:16 AM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow man thanks really appreciate ur info

Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #4

No problem hope it helped

Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The 1st Gen frames had a smooth, "pebbled" finish on the frame that wrapped all the way around the grip (360 degrees) without any borders. These were roughly 1982-1989 production.

The 2nd Gen frames had a similar pebbled finish on the sides of the grip, but there were distinct borders. It was kind of like having a pebbled panel on each side. Beyond the borders of the panels, the frame was smooth, except for the frontstrap and the backstrap, which had a raised checkered pattern. These frames were roughly 1989-1997 production.

The 3rd Gen frames were the "FGR" or Finger Groove and Rail frames. Besides the finger grooves and rails, thumb indents were added at the top of each side panel. These frames were released in 1997 and continue to present.
There have been a few oddballs that don't clearly fall into any of the above descriptions. This has caused a lot of angst among Glock fans, who debate whether they actually represent additional "Generations" or not. To wit:

A. The "SF" or Short Frame guns have a reduced circumference and ambi mag catches. Aside from this, all characteristics match the 3rd Gen frame definition, above. The 20, 21, 29 and 30 are offered in Short Frames;

B. The "RTF 2" or Rough Textured Frame has a completely different pattern on the side panels, frontstrap and backstrap. Side panels are covered with so-called "polymids" that offer a rougher surface. This surface was apparently the second variant, thus the "RTF 2" designation. The backstrap is also covered with the same texture, as is the area in between finger grooves on the front of the frame. Unlike the SF frame, dimensions match Gen 3 frames. The 17, 19, 22 and 23 are offered in RTF 2 frames.
Gen 4 guns are an amalgamation of features that we have seen in one form or another on previous Glocks. To wit:

A. An FGR-type frame, but built to reduced SF dimensions;

B. A new, more subdued rough texture that looks more like the "RTF 3" texture previously pictured here. The new texture is different than RTF 3, in that the bumps are more like raised cubes, instead of pointy pyramids, but the spacing/density of them looks more similar to RTF 3 than RTF 2. Some have taken to calling the new bumps "cubids."

C. A double-captive recoil spring system, like that found on G26 and G27 subcompacts (but much more robust)

The new features on the Gen 4 guns include:

A. A multiple backstrap system in which pieces are added on top of the baseline SF frame. This makes it different than M&P or other designs where the backstrap inserts are an integral part of the frame and you really can't use the gun without an insert installed;

B. A reversible (but not ambi, as on SF) magazine catch, that is also enlarged compared to 3rd Gen dimensions.
Hope this helps and by the way, my posting is not mine alone..others contributed to the actual wording. I just copied and pasted what I thought was a concise description of the various Glock generations.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger
The 1st Gen frames had a smooth, "pebbled" finish on the frame that wrapped all the way around the grip (360 degrees) without any borders. These were roughly 1982-1989 production.

The 2nd Gen frames had a similar pebbled finish on the sides of the grip, but there were distinct borders. It was kind of like having a pebbled panel on each side. Beyond the borders of the panels, the frame was smooth, except for the frontstrap and the backstrap, which had a raised checkered pattern. These frames were roughly 1989-1997 production.

The 3rd Gen frames were the "FGR" or Finger Groove and Rail frames. Besides the finger grooves and rails, thumb indents were added at the top of each side panel. These frames were released in 1997 and continue to present.
There have been a few oddballs that don't clearly fall into any of the above descriptions. This has caused a lot of angst among Glock fans, who debate whether they actually represent additional "Generations" or not. To wit:

A. The "SF" or Short Frame guns have a reduced circumference and ambi mag catches. Aside from this, all characteristics match the 3rd Gen frame definition, above. The 20, 21, 29 and 30 are offered in Short Frames;

B. The "RTF 2" or Rough Textured Frame has a completely different pattern on the side panels, frontstrap and backstrap. Side panels are covered with so-called "polymids" that offer a rougher surface. This surface was apparently the second variant, thus the "RTF 2" designation. The backstrap is also covered with the same texture, as is the area in between finger grooves on the front of the frame. Unlike the SF frame, dimensions match Gen 3 frames. The 17, 19, 22 and 23 are offered in RTF 2 frames.
Gen 4 guns are an amalgamation of features that we have seen in one form or another on previous Glocks. To wit:

A. An FGR-type frame, but built to reduced SF dimensions;

B. A new, more subdued rough texture that looks more like the "RTF 3" texture previously pictured here. The new texture is different than RTF 3, in that the bumps are more like raised cubes, instead of pointy pyramids, but the spacing/density of them looks more similar to RTF 3 than RTF 2. Some have taken to calling the new bumps "cubids."

C. A double-captive recoil spring system, like that found on G26 and G27 subcompacts (but much more robust)

The new features on the Gen 4 guns include:

A. A multiple backstrap system in which pieces are added on top of the baseline SF frame. This makes it different than M&P or other designs where the backstrap inserts are an integral part of the frame and you really can't use the gun without an insert installed;

B. A reversible (but not ambi, as on SF) magazine catch, that is also enlarged compared to 3rd Gen dimensions.
Hope this helps and by the way, my posting is not mine alone..others contributed to the actual wording. I just copied and pasted what I thought was a concise description of the various Glock generations.
I have to ask did you already know this which I wouldn't doubt or did you go to wiki or something just asking

Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Knew it!! Was just easier to copy and paste info rather than type it all..LOL

Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tats a lot of info to take in lol which glock do you prefer and y?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

I personaly don't like Glocks period had a g 30 for years and was ok with it but i have recently bought several other guns and have to say I got rid of the g 30 I don't like the grip angle and I'm just in accurate with them I now switch between my 1911 and my ruger sr9c but to each his own

Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Gen 2 glock 20 10mm
Biggest glock on the block.
15 rounds of .40 cal on steroids.

I don't need No stinking signature.