Missouri - To obtain a handgun the buyer must produce a permit to purchase which is issued by the sheriff of the county where the applicant resides. A permit to purchase shall be issued by the sheriff if all the statements in the application are true, and the applicant:
1. is at least 21, a citizen of the U.S. and has resided in the state for at least 6 months.
2. has not been convicted of or currently charged with or indicted for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
3. is not a fugitive from justice;
4. has not been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. armed forces;
5. is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition; and
6. is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent and has not been committed to a mental health facility.