New G19!! One in the pipe? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G19!! One in the pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

And, boy there are a LOT of Glock haters out there. In fact a lot of G***k haters right here in the Glock forum. Interesting.
You haven't seen hate yet - Try posting a thread comparing the AK versus the AR or the .223 versus the 7.62 x 39 - THEN you will see some fireworks.

Glad your decision is working out for you & your family.

JD

Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
If that's the case, where is my 1911 already??????

You mean you didn't get it?? I sent it with Obama's Delivery Service by way of the Stimulus Routing Office.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #33

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Dillinger in his infinite sarcasm posted:
Quote:
You mean you didn't get it?? I sent it with Obama's Delivery Service by way of the Stimulus Routing Office.
Sure...like that's a reliable method.......................douche......

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #34

CHLChris, thanks for asking good questions. First, understand a couple of things. The moderator is a 1911 guy and 1911 guys don't like Glocks. Second, he has every right to his opinion, which is that there's nothing like a 1911, and third, anyone who has a Glock should not carry a round in the chamber.

I've known a number of cops years ago that carried Colt 1911s and some of them carried it with a round in the chamber, hammer back, safety on. It's called "Condition One." But, as the moderator would point out, there is a visible safety on a Colt and that makes it for him. Never mind that I used to carry a 1911 in Condition One and on occasion would look down and discover the safety had been bumped off. That's OFF, mind you, which is one reason I quit carrying a 1911 and switched to a DA Sig.

As the moderator or someone else pointed out, hundreds of police departments and thousands of cops carry Glocks and I can promise you that not ONE officer carries his weapon the way the moderator suggests. So weigh that too in your decision-making process. I'm not trying to pick a fight, nor am I trying to tell you or the moderator what to do. The moderator already has his mind made up. You make up your own mind after reviewing the facts.

Depending on clothing, I now carry a Sig P225 or Glock 26 with a Pearce PG-39 floor plate, which gives the little gun a 13-round capacity -- not bad! I personally like a .45 ACP myself, but being retired LEO there's not much need for a handgun that heavy. Again, depending on clothing, I sometimes carry the j-frame snubbie.

It's true that not many people go around throwing Glocks in the air to see if they will fire accidentally when they hit the pavement (they won't), but insisting on a visible safety is akin to ... well, I said I didn't want to pick a fight so I'll leave that sentence unfinished. Let's just say that Glocks are built to go bang every time you pull the trigger. They won't "go off" if you touch the trigger. In fact, you'll have to pull the trigger 5.5 lbs worth before it will fire. But when it fires, it's the same trigger squeeze every time. No flipping safeties on or off, no messing around with hammer drops, that sort of thing.

But let tell you this: no gun is safe to operate unless you have studied the owner manual, understand everything there is to know about a particular model, and have practiced, practiced, practiced until you are proficient. Most Glock accidents center around someone who forgot the pistol goes bang when you pull the trigger. Revolvers do the same thing. The key is, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO PULL IT!

Don't get me wrong -- I like 1911s and have a Colt Government Model manufactured in 1918 that's worth $18 grand. I also like Sigs and own several of 'em, but when I leave the house these days I usually have the G-26 on my hip.

Finally, keep asking questions. There are no stupid ones. But also remember that opinions are like certain body parts -- everybody has one. Take 'em with a grain of salt and always, always read what the manufacturer has to say about the weapon he makes. It's his ass that's on the line if he gets sued and no manufacturer will recommend something that's unsafe. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention... I carried for almost 30 years, 10 in uniform and the rest in plainclothes. I'm 73 years old today and still carry. I used to shoot competition but don't anymore, which is another reason for wanting a weapon that simple to operate, reliable when it comes to shooting, and easy to maintain. Glocks can't be beat in that category, which is why more and more manufacturers are copying what this one Austrian company has done. 1911s have been around a hundred years and they'll be around another hundred years. But so will Glocks, assuming we're all shooting bullets a hundred years from now and not some kind of ray gun.

Last edited by jeremiahjj; 07-08-2009 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Add a line

Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjj View Post
CHLChris, thanks for asking good questions. First, understand a couple of things. The moderator is a 1911 guy and 1911 guys don't like Glocks. Second, he has every right to his opinion, which is that there's nothing like a 1911, and third, anyone who has a Glock should not carry a round in the chamber.

I've known a number of cops years ago that carried Colt 1911s and some of them carried it with a round in the chamber, hammer back, safety on. It's called "Condition One." But, as the moderator would point out, there is a visible safety on a Colt and that makes it for him. Never mind that I used to carry a 1911 in Condition One and on occasion would look down and discover the safety had been bumped off. That's OFF, mind you, which is one reason I quit carrying a 1911 and switched to a DA Sig.

As the moderator or someone else pointed out, hundreds of police departments and thousands of cops carry Glocks and I can promise you that not ONE officer carries his weapon the way the moderator suggests. So weigh that too in your decision-making process. I'm not trying to pick a fight, nor am I trying to tell you or the moderator what to do. The moderator already has his mind made up. You make up your own mind after reviewing the facts.

Depending on clothing, I now carry a Sig P225 or Glock 26 with a Pearce PG-39 floor plate, which gives the little gun a 13-round capacity -- not bad! I personally like a .45 ACP myself, but being retired LEO there's not much need for a handgun that heavy. Again, depending on clothing, I sometimes carry the j-frame snubbie.

It's true that not many people go around throwing Glocks up in the air to see if they will fire accidentally when they hit the pavement (they won't), but insisting on a visible safety is akin to ... well, I said I didn't want to pick a fight so I'll leave that sentence unfinished. Let's just say that Glocks are built to go bang every time you pull the trigger. They won't "go off" if you touch the trigger. In fact, you'll have to pull the trigger 5.5 lbs worth before it will fire. But when it fires, it's the same trigger squeeze every time. No flipping safeties on or off, no messing around with hammer drops, that sort of thing.

But let tell you this: no gun is safe to operate unless you have studied the owner manual, understand everything there is to know about a particular model, and have practiced, practiced, practiced until you are proficient. Most Glock accidents center around someone who forgot the pistol goes bang when you pull the trigger. Revolvers do the same thing. The key is, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO PULL IT!

Don't get me wrong -- I like 1911s and have a Colt Government Model manufactured in 1918 that's worth $18 grand. I also like Sigs and own several of 'em, but when I leave the house these days I usually have the G-26 on my hip.

Finally, keep asking questions. There are no stupid ones. But also remember that opinions are like certain body parts -- everybody has one. Take 'em with a grain of salt and always, always read what the manufacturer has to say about the weapon he makes. It's his ass that's on the line if he gets sued and no manufacturer will recommend something that's unsafe. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention... I carried for almost 30 years, 10 in uniform and the rest in plainclothes. I'm 73 years old today and still carry. I used to shoot competition but don't anymore, which is another reason for wanting a weapon that simple to operate, reliable when it comes to shooting, and easy to maintain. Glocks can't be beat in that category, which is why more and more manufacturers are copying what this one Austrian company has done. 1911s have been around a hundred years and they'll be around another hundred years. But so will Glocks, assuming we're all shooting bullets a hundred years from now and not some kind of ray gun.
The original poster is not a police officer and admits to being a handgun newbie. This, a round in the tune might be a bad idea for him.

It takes balls to call out a moderator when you have 2 posts on a forum. Good luck with that.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #36

Liked 1436 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjj View Post

It's true that not many people go around throwing Glocks in the air to see if they will fire accidentally when they hit the pavement (they won't), but insisting on a visible safety is akin to ... well, I said I didn't want to pick a fight so I'll leave that sentence unfinished. Let's just say that Glocks are built to go bang every time you pull the trigger. They won't "go off" if you touch the trigger. In fact, you'll have to pull the trigger 5.5 lbs worth before it will fire. But when it fires, it's the same trigger squeeze every time. No flipping safeties on or off, no messing around with hammer drops, that sort of thing.

+1 jeremiahjj, I think you're full of crap, but I respect your opinion.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #37

Liked 1337 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 414

The pistol I keep in my nightstand is a Glock 22. I do not keep it chambered for all the reasons already mentioned. The idea that my finger is the safety sounds great but humans make mistakes. I don't know that if I owned a 1911 I would keep it chambered, I still feel humans can make mistakes and slipping a safety off is a lot easier than accidentally pulling back a slide, which is my safety.

BUT and there's always one of those isn't there. I know that many people don't follow the same process that I do and even on my own glock I always assume its chambered, doing anything but that is what will cause accidental discharges. In case of emergency and it really is chambered, no biggie I'm just down to 14 rounds.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I've also noticed something else I didn't expect. When my trigger finger is where it's supposed to be (along the slide until NEEDED), it blocks the laser. This means that the only negative of a laser (broadcasting position) is negated when being held properly.

Then the laser beam is, IDK, released when my finger enters the trigger guard at the exact moment I will most need the laser.

Cool!
Cuz, I'm holding my CT laser grip-equipped G26 right now and my trigger finger does NOT block the laser. I should also mention that the trigger finger does not extend down the slide, but under the laser. If your finger is alongside the slide you've got a different kind of finger from mine.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The original poster is not a police officer and admits to being a handgun newbie. This, a round in the tune might be a bad idea for him.

It takes balls to call out a moderator when you have 2 posts on a forum. Good luck with that.
Hey, I wasn't "calling him out," only disagreeing with his view of Glocks. That's my right, I earned it by virture of being a shooter for, oh, 60 years, and being a 1911 and Sig shooter before I even knew what a Glock was.

Look at it like this: even moderators had two posts one time. Now if you want to call me a newbie to this forum, I plead guilty. That said, I've been hanging out over at the Sig Forum for years, and also a couple of others. I speak my piece from the perspective I have but honor the right of others to do the same. Cheers!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1 jeremiahjj, I think you're full of crap, but I respect your opinion.
I would have to agree. Your reasons are fine, for you, but you have overlooked a few things.

1) I copted to be a 1911 in my very first post. And, if you had been here more than a minute, you will see that I have consistantly given Glocks their due - which is a cheap to produce, cheap to purchase, mass produced, easy weapon system for the multitudes.

2) Thousands, and yes, literally thousands, of AD/ND conditions have let to three "revolutions" with the Glock, in about 20 years of production. That alone speak volumes to a lot of people.

3) No, the police carry in condition one with the Glock, and a lot of police departments have gotten away from purchasing the Glock because of the unreliability of the weapon in Condition One. The list is long, almost as long as your years of experience actually.

Perhaps you have seen the DEA agent who was the only one expertly trained enough to handle the Glock .40??

The OP was upfront and honest about his being completely new to firearms. Would you recommend someone with this level of training carry in condition one with any firearm? Honestly?

Next time you want to talk some crap, at least be up front about whom you are talking about - Several of the other mods got a reported post and came in thinking it was them.

JD