Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G19!! One in the pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hi, as a glock owner and a colt 1911 owner, I have carried both from time to time and ALWAYS keep a round in the pipe. As others have posted, however you decide to carry your weapon, practice with it! I also have a similar lifestyle with no children, and the lady of the house is also a CHL. Since you have chosen a glock for your first weapon, know it inside and out. Learn its functions, how to troubleshoot malfunctions and become comfortable with it. Make it an extention of you. This is true of any weapon. Regardless of anyones preference, the glock 19 is what you have, so practice with it, be comfortable with it and above all, be safe with it. I carry a glock 32 9 months + out of the year and feel very secure in my choice with a glock as a PD weapon. It has never failed me. Does this mean it can't fail, no. All weapons can and will fail at some point. Sorry I got alittle off topic.

I always keep my PD weapon fully loaded and a round in the chamber. Remember you are the weakest link in the system for any platform. The weapon merely responds to your command.

Enjoy your glock.

Chris.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #22

Glock 19, i carried one for many years, its a great simple solid weapon, low maintenance, good offensive weapon. One chambered or not chambered is a choice preference. I choose to chamber, pull the weapon and shoot. Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I've also noticed something else I didn't expect. When my trigger finger is where it's supposed to be (along the slide until NEEDED), it blocks the laser. This means that the only negative of a laser (broadcasting position) is negated when being held properly.

Then the laser beam is, IDK, released when my finger enters the trigger guard at the exact moment I will most need the laser.

Cool!
i use the lasermax internal laser for my glock 19. i love it.. should sell the laser you are using now and upgrade to laser max

Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #24

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
At home? It's up to you, but myself, I unload my Glock(s) when I am in the confines of my house unless I am carrying it on me. In other words...off body....unloaded, full magazine, trigger back. Anyone can look at a Glock pistol and tell if it's loaded or not simply by looking at the trigger. Forward, it's loaded, back it's not. plain and simple really.
This is great, Rod. I went shooting today at the range. My first 100 rounds through it. The "trigger back=empty, trigger forward=round in the chamber" is a feature I really like in the Glock. Certainly not the best way to check, but while shooting, that was my first indication of an empty magazine, since the slide locked open isn't something you see when your eyes are on the front sight.

Through the particulates in the air, the laser created a beam of light through the air. I don't know how I like that. In fact, today the CrimTrace laser was just in the way. I was using the sights with both eyes open (I don't want to deal with needing to close my left eye) and it just caused my brain to see 2 red beams through the air PLUS 2 dots on the target. Very annoying. It wasn't affecting my groups, just something I'll need to get used to. Next time I go shooting I might shoot a couple of mags focusing on the laser as my aiming device and adjust it at 20 feet. Right now I want to get the fundamentals down.

Right at this moment, my Glock is unloaded, trigger pulled back, full magazine right next to it. I feel pretty comfortable in that position when I'm home. We'll see if that changes over time.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnykc View Post
i use the lasermax internal laser for my glock 19. i love it.. should sell the laser you are using now and upgrade to laser max
Donny, I'll look into it. THanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #26

Default yes keep it chambered

I own a g19 i have my ccw, i have a wife and son, i have a ankle, inside the hip, and a tac holster and always keep on in the pipe Manly cause if you feel the need to carry you should be ready to fire on a seconds notice. If for any reason you need to draw you can't stand their and say hold on one sec. i need to chamber my gun, at that point just keep the mag in your pocket. Just remeber its better to be chambered then sorry.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #27

Default 3 tourss&w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And the likes of Plaxico Burris and DEA Agents the WORLD OVER have illustrated this point time AND again.

Listen to what guys like matt g and Sgt-Miller have to say, these guys have served time, in combat positions, and have had to rely on their weapons.

Neither of them carries a Glock - and Neither of them carries a weapon without a "POSITIVE" safety...

There is a reason why....

JD
I am a new member to this fourm and what I have seen you give some good advice, But I myself am a army vet with 3 tours under my belt I own a s&w sigma 40ve a colt 1911 and a glock g19 as far as pistols go. And I must say that i Sware by my g19 over the other pistol, the main reason is that the ability to just unholster and go is priceless. Please i did not write this to try to say that glocks are the best guns ever, I love all my guns, just wanted to put in a 3rd gi's opinon.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #28

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabeck66 View Post
I am a new member to this fourm and what I have seen you give some good advice, But I myself am a army vet with 3 tours under my belt I own a s&w sigma 40ve a colt 1911 and a glock g19 as far as pistols go. And I must say that i Sware by my g19 over the other pistol, the main reason is that the ability to just unholster and go is priceless. Please i did not write this to try to say that glocks are the best guns ever, I love all my guns, just wanted to put in a 3rd gi's opinon.
bigabeck66 - WELCOME!! Haven't seen your introduction thread, so please consider this my greeting.

Thank you for your selfless service to this country - I have much respect for all our military members.

In regards to the Glock, I can understand your points, I don't agree with them, but I do understand them.

I believe that your training leads to your opinions, and if you train with one weapon extensively, you will lean towards that being the weapon of choice.

Quote:
And I must say that i Sware by my g19 over the other pistol, the main reason is that the ability to just unholster and go is priceless
Any pistol can do this if the training is there. When we train to go from leather to smoking, we train to flip the safety as we draw the weapon. It's a bit different from traditional training for, say, a police officer who acquires a threat and then disengages the safety. It's all in the training.

Facts being facts, no police officer has had their 1911 taken from them and shot with their own weapon as of Massad Ayoob's research circa 1996-ish. The same can't be said for most other conventional small arms.

You won't find someone dropping a 1911 down their slacks pants leg, during Mexican Carry, and shooting themselves in the leg.

This doesn't make the Glock a bad weapon. It's a fine design for what it is.

It's a weapon that was designed to be easily mass produced, easily trained upon and easy to maintain. Great. Perfect for the masses.

It's also in it's third generation of production since it was designed in 1980. XD has already surpassed them in safety features, and I believe, is making a superior weapon platform.

To each his own. You can have all the Glocks and I will split the 1911's with Cane, Matt and Sgt-Miller.

JD

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #29

Default Update

I just got my GunVault 1000DLX. It's bolted to the floor right under my bed. With a simple finger-tap combination the door pops open. At night I just keep the door open, in the morning I pop it closed again. Inside I've got my G19 with an M3X tactical light and Crimson Trace, a full clip of MagTech SJHP 124gr, one in the pipe, one more full mag next to it.

Something I've noticed (again, I'm new to this) is that racking the slide with a to-the-top jammed-full magazine takes QUITE a bit of effort. In the middle of the night or whatever, the last thing I want to have to deal with is racking the slide for a round. In a stressful situation I hear that fine motor skills are some of the first to go.

I, for one, have decided to always have one in the pipe.

And, boy there are a LOT of Glock haters out there. In fact a lot of G***k haters right here in the Glock forum. Interesting.

Thanks, all, for your input. I've been told that eventually I'll want a 1911. That's probably true, but right now my family is being protected by a "wacky trigger."

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
To each his own. You can have all the Glocks and I will split the 1911's with Cane, Matt and Sgt-Miller.

JD

If that's the case, where is my 1911 already??????