New G19!! One in the pipe? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G19!! One in the pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
This is your first gun isn't it?

The facts I stated are legitmate from a gunsmithing standpoint, not to mention safety.

Do as you wish - that is the best part of what used to be this Great Country.

You asked a question and I gave you an answer, along with a reason why and that I am not a fan of the platform.

Take a trip around Google with "Negligent" or "Accidental" Discharge and see how many are Glock related....

Best of luck

JD
You gave such a great response. Again, I had no intention of being one of those jerks that disregard good advice. A wise man listens to all advice, especially when I know absolutely NOTHING except what I've read and what I learned firing a total of...drum roll please...25 rounds. Wow! What experience!

As far as ND and AD, I am going to do my best to never be on that list or in that YouTube video titled, "Idiot with a Glock."

Honestly, I cannot say I am a fan or not, I've never fired a Glock yet. That will happen VERY soon at the sheriff's range. I fired an XD at the class. I guess you can say I'm that guy that moves to, say, Arizona, and suddenly I'm a Cardinals fan and it's, "We're great..." and "Our team's going all the way."

I've just read what I've read, and for a first gun, Glock 19 seemed the best choice out of MANY really fine choices. Again, no disrespect intended, Dillinger. I'm just hoping to get the viewpoint of those who are daily operating a Glock.

One in the pipe, or rack the slide for first round?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2943 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Let me be clear up front that I do not own a 1911. Nor do I own a Glock.

I have trained hundreds of officers that do carry Glocks daily. IMHO, a Glock is too easy to shoot unintentionally IF you are careless about where your trigger finger is.
IF you exercise the proper trigger finger discipline they are perfectly safe.
IF you use a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, they are perfectly safe.
IF you just stick it in your waist band, you are asking for trouble.
IF you let your trigger finger drift into the trigger guard, you WILL eventually have a negligent discharge.

A New York trigger reduces the probability of an ND but does not replace good training and proper muscle memory.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

+1 with robocop10mm and Dillinger.

Very wise words. Listen well.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Hey, all! I finally purchased my first handgun. It only took about an hour in Oregon for all the paperwork and installing the Crimson Trace in the gun shop. CCW permit (called CHL in Oregon, thus my handle here in the Forum) is taking about 4 months! I wanted a solid gun that I could start to train on at the range before getting my CHL.

Okay, question...I've seen this handled in the Concealed forum, but I read a lot of answers from 1911 and XD owners with external safeties, not many from Glock owners.

On my Glock 19 should I keep a round in the chamber...

...at home in my bedside keypad GunVault?
...in my IWB holster when I carry?

When I'm out around town, there is a higher possibility of needing a round chambered IMMEDIATELY. When I'm at home, it seems that if I have time to open the Gunvault, I have time to rack the slide before needing to engage. Any thoughts?
Here's what you can do with the Glock....when you carry, get used to having a round chambered. IMO..that's the best way if it aint the only way to carry any semi-auto pistol worth carrying. Otherwise you could be a split second away from death...the split second it would take you to chamber a round under duress. At home? It's up to you, but myself, I unload my Glock(s) when I am in the confines of my house unless I am carrying it on me. In other words...off body....unloaded, full magazine, trigger back. Anyone can look at a Glock pistol and tell if it's loaded or not simply by looking at the trigger. Forward, it's loaded, back it's not. plain and simple really. In the bedside keypad gun vault? You'll need to learn how to extract the pistol if you keep one in the chamber from there. Grabbing the pistol in the dark out of something that's not a holster is different. Fumbling around awakened from sleep.......but the Glock pistols actually need some intent in order to pull the trigger even though the stock rating is 5.5lb pull. Thing is...if you have a Glock, carry your Glock, love your Glock, use it as the tool it was intended for.....you will become one with your Glock. Know it well enough, and everything else will fall into place. Then there will be no doubts or questions in your mind as to what and what not to do, where to, and when not to with your Glock pistol. Live, eat, breathe, sleep with your Glock pistol. I do, and it's what makes me whole. Glock on!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
That's interesting that the first, "No, keep the pipe clear, it's not safe," is from a 1911 owner. I mean no disrespect, but one of the reasons I chose a Glock was that I didn't want an external safety to begin with. I didn't want to have to think about up or down or whatever. This trigger feels quite safe in its action. I am, however, not totally unconcerned. I will definitely have to practice a lot--loaded and unloaded--before I feel comfortable that I will AUTOMATICALLY EVERY TIME keep my finger on the slide and away from the trigger guard.

Glock owners...so far we're 2 for 2 for "locked and loaded."
1911s have 3 safeties in the same aspect that Gl**ks have one. I have to thumb off the safety, I have to be gripping the pistol in a manner that it is reay to fire and I have to squeeze the trigger. With my training, I have a 4th safety, I will, even before placing my finger on the trigger, identify if a possible target is a threat or not. Few civilian shooters have that level of muscle memory.

With a Gl**k, all you have to do is pull the trigger.

In my hands, a 1911 have 4 safeties. All you have is a goofy trigger.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just remember that it's been proven that the trigger finger safety is the most unreliable safety out there.

It amazes me that everyone likes the line "My trigger finger is my safety." Yet, the trigger finger safety has the worst track record of negligent discharges out there........

....I wonder why???????

If you do decide to carry your Glock in C-1, be very vigilant and careful.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

In my hands, a 1911 have 4 safeties. All you have is a goofy trigger.
And the likes of Plaxico Burris and DEA Agents the WORLD OVER have illustrated this point time AND again.

Listen to what guys like matt g and Sgt-Miller have to say, these guys have served time, in combat positions, and have had to rely on their weapons.

Neither of them carries a Glock - and Neither of them carries a weapon without a "POSITIVE" safety...

There is a reason why....

JD

Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

In fact, that is one of the reasons (I had multiple) I just sold my S&W Sigma today. An additional reason is I plan on using the money for another pistol, of course (something easier on the wallet to shoot and tons more fun).

Old 06-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #19

The arguments will go on and on, it comes down to this: bad things happen very, very fast. Decide what you are going to do then train from that condition. That being said, anything that I keep ready has a round in the chamber.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #20

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Condition one and only!

If you are afraid to carry with a locked and cocked PD weapon, you shouldn't carry at all!

Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello