Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G19!! One in the pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That would indeed make me happy(er).

You can have all the Glocks you want.

Guys like Canebreak, Tango, Ineffable, matt g, Sgt-Miller and myself will take all the 1911's.

JD
I'll just take the Colts and NHs, you guys can have all the rest! I'm not greedy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #92

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'll just take the Colts and NHs, you guys can have all the rest! I'm not greedy.
Said the guy with the COLT ISSUES on his .460 build.

Anyone seen my Nighthawk Collection by the way?? **

JD

Last edited by canebrake; 07-23-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #93

Liked 223 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Glock is a lot better than its detractors here are admitting. It is not just a gun for the masses. It is the best military pistol because reliability and corrosion-resistance are essential for warfare.

First of all, your holster is your safety. Buy one that covers the trigger and keep the gun in it, even when you take it off at night. Then you need not worry about the absence of a thumb safety and grip safety. Of course, you must keep you finger off the trigger when you remove the gun from the holster. Most of us can manage that.

Second of all, the Glock is corrosion-resistant, which allows you to store it in its holster, so long as you oil it once in a while.

Third of all, under stress in Force-on-Force training as well as hunting, people forget to release safeties. The Glock eliminates this risk. Yeah, I know, you 1911 guys will never make that mistake !

The Glock has a high rate of fire, reliability, accuracy, a direct feed path, low barrel line,consistant trigger pull and high capacity in most models.

It is bad practice to carry a gun in one condition and keep it by the bed in another. Under stress, you could forget to chamber a round...or waste time racking the slide unnecessarily.

Empty chamber carry relies on your having two hands free when the fight starts. It works for the Israelis and it worked for Sykes and Fairbairn but time marches on.

The 1911 is real safe until you draw or fire that first shot. Then you are left with a cocked SA with safety off and a chance for an AD as the gunfight winds down.
The Glock, by contrast, always has the long trigger pull / take-up to save you.

"Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends.
GLOCKS are what you show your enemies."
The GLOCKsmith

" If you can keep your finger off of the trigger, no safety is necessary. If you cannot keep your finger off of the trigger, no safety will save you. "
Jeff Cooper

Are we straight on this ?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #94

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Wow

Now that was a breath of fresh air! Thank you for the rational support of Glock.

The best argument was the idea that, to keep the gun in different conditions at different times is a recipe for problems. If I know it is in condition one I will always know what I've got, even in the fog of a 2am breakin.

THanks, Rentacop.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #95

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
First of all, your holster is your safety.
No, your first safety is between your ears. Then your second safety is your trigger finger and where to put it.

Quote:
Second of all, the Glock is corrosion-resistant, which allows you to store it in its holster, so long as you oil it once in a while.
You can store any gun in it's holster if you store it correctly and oil it from time to time. What does the Glock being made of plastic have to do with that? For that matter stainless steel can be stored in Kydex for like a millenium and have no ill effects? WTF?

Quote:
It works for the Israelis and it worked for Sykes and Fairbairn but time marches on.
Yeah, because that is how they train. If you don't train the way you carry, guess what, it's not going to do you any good!

Quote:
The 1911 is real safe until you draw or fire that first shot. Then you are left with a cocked SA with safety off and a chance for an AD as the gunfight winds down.
WTF?!?! That by far is the most bull**** statement of the thread. Get a copy of any agencies' ND ( there is no accidental discharge in the real world, there is always negligence ) and see how many are attributed to what you are claiming. Hands down, high capacity, safety on the trigger weapons will lead this category by leaps and bounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper[/quote
" If you can keep your finger off of the trigger, no safety is necessary. If you cannot keep your finger off of the trigger, no safety will save you. "
Yeah, I like Jeff Cooper too. Here's a couple of his quotes you might have missed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair
The Glock has been in production about 20 or so years. It's in it's THIRD evolution because of inherent flaws in it's design.

Come and talk to me when they produce their Centennial Edition - we can compare it to the first run ones.

JD

Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #96

Quote:
The Glock is a lot better than its detractors here are admitting. It is not just a gun for the masses. It is the best military pistol because reliability and corrosion-resistance are essential for warfare.
The best? WOW, that's quite a statement!

Just how many years has it held that title?

Quote:
First of all, your holster is your safety. Buy one that covers the trigger and keep the gun in it, even when you take it off at night. Then you need not worry about the absence of a thumb safety and grip safety. Of course, you must keep you finger off the trigger when you remove the gun from the holster. Most of us can manage that.
You like quoting Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper? Here's one;

“Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.” Jeff Cooper ("Or hide in your holster." cane)

If Most of us can manage that then why mention it?

Quote:
And this is different from any other handgun, HOW?

Quote:
Third of all, under stress in Force-on-Force training as well as hunting, people forget to release safeties. The Glock eliminates this risk. Yeah, I know, you 1911 guys will never make that mistake!
You use a loaded weapon (and one with no positive safety) for FOF training?

And WTF does hunting have to do with this? Or is that your code word for CCW?

Oh yeah, we can make that mistake, you know why? BECAUSE THERE IS A SAFETY ON THE WEAPON!

Quote:
The Glock has a high rate of fire, reliability, accuracy, a direct feed path, low barrel line, consistent trigger pull and high capacity in most models.
Almost had me until you threw in that caveat!

And it's not a low barrel line, it's a high thumb web location. It's the reason we need to change the term 'slide bite' to "glock bite"!

Let me share this diagram with you, it's called glockssuck.jpg;

Quote:
It is bad practice to carry a gun in one condition and keep it by the bed in another. Under stress, you could forget to chamber a round...or waste time racking the slide unnecessarily.
First thing you have posted that I can agree with!

Quote:
Empty chamber carry relies on your having two hands free when the fight starts. It works for the Israelis and it worked for Sykes and Fairbairn but time marches on.
What does knife fighting have to do with empty chambers?

Quote:
And this is different from a glock at all times with one in the pipe, HOW?

Quote:
The Glock, by contrast, always has the long trigger pull / take-up to save you.
So your suggestion would be for me to do a "reverse trigger job" on my Colt so it would have the same crappy action as a glock and therefore would be safer?

The trigger takeup on my G22 is why I went to the 1911 pattern pistol. I can do a 'Mozambique Drill' with my Colt in the same time it takes me to get the G22 to go bang once!

Quote:
"Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends.
GLOCKS are what you show your enemies."
The GLOCKsmith
"I show my enemies nothing. And I never interfere when they are making a mistake; like using a glock." cane

Quote:
"If you can keep your finger off of the trigger, no safety is necessary. If you cannot keep your finger off of the trigger, no safety will save you. "
Jeff Cooper

Are we straight on this ?
Let's just say I've got your number.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't visited this thread for a while and I have clearly missed some entertainment.

I will voice my thoughts on the thread title. If all I had was a Glock, I would keep it chambered because if something happens I dont want to have to mess around with chambering a round. Have said that I don't think there is a firearm more dangerous then a chambered glock.
I'm currently seaking a spot with the NC highway patrol and if I'm not mistake they carry Glocks. I will do everything in my power to not carry that weapon if I get accepted. Why? beyond the danger issue, I can't shoot a glock worth crap! If I pointed at your face I would hit you in the knees. They feel like a fat brick in my hand, I personally cannot stand glocks and refuse to shoot them.

I currently own 2 XDs and I'm saving for a 1911.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #98

Rentacop, I feel it necessary to defend my total disdain for the glock pistol.

I own a G22 Gen I, and drank the kool aid for years. I had fired 1911s but never owned one. My experience was with wheel guns and mostly cowboy rigs. Yeah, I know its an age tell but firemen didn't carry guns; ergo, cowboy!

• Its not because I think they are ugly. They are.
  • Its not because they are unreliable. Goes bang every time.
  • Its not because they are poly. Well.........
  • Its not because of the sheet metal parts. I got an AK.
  • It is because they are NOT ergonomic.
  • It is because they are a striker fired weapon.
  • It is because they have a convoluted trigger system.
  • It is because they are a firearm impossible to strip in the dark without rote Pavlova respondent conditioning.
  • It is because they failed the DEA "Frisbee" test.
  • It is because they have yet to, as a manufacturer, properly address the catastrophic KB issue.
  • It is because they have never had a recall but silent warranty work, called upgrades is done by the tens of thousands.
  • It is because they have had defective guide rods.
  • It is because they have had known slide rail failures in the hundreds of thousands with no customer notification.
  • It is because they have had "Phase Three Malfunctions". Google it!
  • It is because they have had a degradation of QC with each generation produced. Like any central Europe engineering company, great at small volumes.
  • It is because they have a front rail spreading issue when shooting "hot" ammo.
  • It is because I love to piss off you glock worshipers?!

I bitch and bash the glock because I have owned and shot one longer than many of you have been on earth. (I did say many CA357!)

I have earned the right to rate the entire glock line just a tad above High-Points. Please don't argue with me on this issue. You will lose or piss me off and I'll just ignore you.

Do me a favor and read the following posts, you will not change my mind. I just hope I can enlighten you to make an intelligent pistol purchase in the future.

If I could have saved all the money I pissed away before becoming a JMB disciple, I may own as many Nighthawks as JD. (and maybe that Microtech Halo)

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/gold-dot-123gr-p-glock-19-a-10704/#post69586

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/gold-dot-123gr-p-glock-19-a-10704/#post69653

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-guns-13423/index2.html#post101126

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/first-guns-13423/#post101440

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-pistols-ticking-timebombs-13889/#post106232

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/glock-pistols-ticking-timebombs-13889/#post112820

I'm not a bad guy.

I am a glock bigot!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 07-24-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #99

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Welcome to this fun thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I haven't visited this thread for a while and I have clearly missed some entertainment.
Yes, spittin, welcome to the hate Glocks thread. It happens to be in the Glock forum and the OP--me--put it there for a reason, but we musn't be distracted by that fact.

It has been fun to track. I bet blood pressure has gone up for some people. Not me, though. I own a Glock, but I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Consensus seems to be:

Keep the Glock in condition #1 (one in the pipe, kept in a holster)

AND

Be ready to die imminently or kill a loved one in a ND.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Consensus seems to be:

Keep the Glock in condition #1 (one in the pipe, kept in a holster)

AND

Be ready to die imminently or kill a loved one in a ND.
Hey JD, I think we're getting through!

To all you glock guys; If you are affronted by the 1911 guys tracking up your section, come on over to the 1911 section and do some brownie bashing.

Come heavy, you’ll need to!

- orangello