Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G19!! One in the pipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default New G19!! One in the pipe?

Hey, all! I finally purchased my first handgun. It only took about an hour in Oregon for all the paperwork and installing the Crimson Trace in the gun shop. CCW permit (called CHL in Oregon, thus my handle here in the Forum) is taking about 4 months! I wanted a solid gun that I could start to train on at the range before getting my CHL.

Okay, question...I've seen this handled in the Concealed forum, but I read a lot of answers from 1911 and XD owners with external safeties, not many from Glock owners.

On my Glock 19 should I keep a round in the chamber...

...at home in my bedside keypad GunVault?
...in my IWB holster when I carry?

When I'm out around town, there is a higher possibility of needing a round chambered IMMEDIATELY. When I'm at home, it seems that if I have time to open the Gunvault, I have time to rack the slide before needing to engage. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #2

idk what your family situation is but since i live alone and have no kids around my house i always keep a round chambered in my glock ESPECIALLY when im carrying it, if you want to unload it when it is locked up thats fine, but if mine is out it locked and loaded.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My thought would be NOT to carry with a round in the chamber on a Glock, or similiar pistol, that DOES NOT feature a manual, like a grip style, safety.

The reason, for me personally, is quite simple. The pistol is ready to fire and the only "safety" is on the trigger, which means anything that touches the trigger, not only your finger, has the ability to set the weapon off.

I don't consider that to be a plus, I consider it to be dangerous.

Glock will demostrate for you how you can throw a loaded pistol into the air and allow it slam down on the asphalt of a parking lot, pick the weapon up and fire off a complete magazine without a problem. And that's great - but that is not what I am looking for in a pistol to be quite honest.

I am a tried and true 1911 guy - and the police officers that are issued Glocks in the departments around our shop DO carry with one in the pipe, so it's not unprecedented - but I don't consider it "safe"

One man's opinion...

JD

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The short answer, YES! If you are in the position where you need to draw your weapon the time needed to chamber a round could be too much.

You need to practice, practice, practice. Learn your weapon. Preactice drawing from your concealed set up, practice shooting in your weak hand as well as your strong hand. The glock only has 1 mechanical safety, the trigger safety which is one reason I don't like it. The only TRUE safety is you, the operator. You have to be able to control your hand/finger when you pull your weapon and this takes practice.
You should be so familiar with your firearm that you don't need to aim, just point. The act of pointing should become muscle memory so as soon as your raise your weapon you at least know you're going to hit paper(toro sized area). It all takes practice.

Did I mention practice?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #5

Default No kiddos here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
idk what your family situation is but since i live alone and have no kids around my house i always keep a round chambered in my glock ESPECIALLY when im carrying it, if you want to unload it when it is locked up thats fine, but if mine is out it locked and loaded.
Thanks, Hot Sauce, I should have made the family situation more clear. I have no children, no children come around the house, and my wife has some basic knowledge (she's taken all the classes I have).

Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Can I ask you what made you decide on the Glock? Not trying to start anything, just curious.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
My thought would be NOT to carry with a round in the chamber on a Glock, or similiar pistol, that DOES NOT feature a manual, like a grip style, safety.

...The pistol is ready to fire and the only "safety" is on the trigger, which means anything that touches the trigger, not only your finger, has the ability to set the weapon off.

I am a tried and true 1911 guy - and the police officers that are issued Glocks in the departments around our shop DO carry with one in the pipe, so it's not unprecedented - but I don't consider it "safe"

One man's opinion...

JD
That's interesting that the first, "No, keep the pipe clear, it's not safe," is from a 1911 owner. I mean no disrespect, but one of the reasons I chose a Glock was that I didn't want an external safety to begin with. I didn't want to have to think about up or down or whatever. This trigger feels quite safe in its action. I am, however, not totally unconcerned. I will definitely have to practice a lot--loaded and unloaded--before I feel comfortable that I will AUTOMATICALLY EVERY TIME keep my finger on the slide and away from the trigger guard.

Glock owners...so far we're 2 for 2 for "locked and loaded."

Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Default Crimson Trace benefit

I've also noticed something else I didn't expect. When my trigger finger is where it's supposed to be (along the slide until NEEDED), it blocks the laser. This means that the only negative of a laser (broadcasting position) is negated when being held properly.

Then the laser beam is, IDK, released when my finger enters the trigger guard at the exact moment I will most need the laser.

Cool!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #9

Default Glock was perfect for early practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Can I ask you what made you decide on the Glock? Not trying to start anything, just curious.
Hey, spittin, you may ask...oh yeah you just did. I had just about chosen to buy a Kahr PM9. In fact, I hope I will at some point in the future. I wanted a pocket 9mm to go with my CCW.

I just took an NRA class for safety and live-fire practice. It definitely let me know that I have a LOT to learn when it comes to procedures and sighting and fundamentals, etc. I heard the Kahr is great for all of the concealed reasons, but not all that fun and easy to shoot a lot of rounds with.

Then I heard from my state that it will be about a 4-month wait for my CHL (concealed handgun license). I thought that a larger 9mm would be the way to go to start with so that I can practice a lot before going to pocket carry. THen I'll practice with both weapons.

As far as the Glock 19 over 26: pinkie and the rails...I want a place for my pinkie and I want to put on a tactical light for those times something goes bump in the night in my home.

Glock 19 over 17: I'd like to still be able to carry it later and I'm a thin guy.

As far as 9mm over .40 or .45: I wanted a fast round without as much recoil.

As far as Glock over something else...come on, do I need to go there?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
That's interesting that the first, "No, keep the pipe clear, it's not safe," is from a 1911 owner.
This is your first gun isn't it?

The facts I stated are legitmate from a gunsmithing standpoint, not to mention safety.

Do as you wish - that is the best part of what used to be this Great Country.

You asked a question and I gave you an answer, along with a reason why and that I am not a fan of the platform.

Take a trip around Google with "Negligent" or "Accidental" Discharge and see how many are Glock related....

Best of luck

JD