New G19 FTF on Remington 115 FMJ
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G19 FTF on Remington 115 FMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New G19 FTF on Remington 115 FMJ

After cleaning my brand new 19 (Gen 2 I think - I live in Calif.) according to the owner's manual (6 drops of oil), I took it to the local indoor range to run some ammo through it. I started with a box of Remington 115 FMJ, then did one magazine each of Remington 115 HMJ, Remington 124 Golden Saber HMJ, and finally some Cor-Bon 115 +P HMJ - 80 rounds total.

I had several FTF (failure to feed) malfunctions - about 6 total - and all with the Remington 115 FMJ ammo. Everything else worked flawlessly. The Remington 124 Golden Saber HMJ seemed to perform best and appeared to be most accurate - the Cor-Bon's were pretty good too (they should be for that price!).

I won't get too worked up about the FTF's - yet. I'll run some more FMJ though the weapon and, if I continue to have problems, try eliminating a bad magazine as a source first. Any thoughts on what may be the problem here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Failure to feed should lead you to examine your magazines for cleanliness and maintenance issues like damage or weak springs.

Some firearms simply do not like some brands of ammunition. Find whichever brand, bullet weight, and/or bullet type works flawlessly in your firearm and stick with that.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My G19Gen4 works well with Federal and Remington UMC (yellow bulk box). The only problem it had was with the Tulammo brand. Tulammo is cheap but dirty & smokey ammo IMO.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Being brand new it must be a Gen 3. (As you hinted, civilians can't buy Gen 4s yet in CA.) Glock has had issues with Gen 4s and late model Gen 3s, especially the G17 and G19. There is a program set up to correct problems in the Gen 4 but I'm not sure about the Gen 3. This involves replacing the RSA, extractor and ejector and maybe trigger bar.

But none of this seems to be aimed at feeding problems. I'd do exactly what you said and put more rounds down the barrel to see how it goes. Good luck, the G19 is a great little gun!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Since they're brand new mags, I wouldn't think cleanliness or spring issues would be a factor. It's a brand new retail purchase pistol, but I thought gen 3 had a new grip version, but I guess that's what I have. I'll run a few more boxes of the Rem 115 FMJ through it and see if the feed issue continues.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just picked up a new 19 gen 3. I am going to the range in the morning and plan on putting a Remington UMC yellow Bulk Box through it. I will post how it does.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You cant go wrong with the remington umc yellow bulk box. Its my fav ammo!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
... It's a brand new retail purchase pistol, but I thought gen 3 had a new grip version, but I guess that's what I have...
Gen 3, which you probably have, has a light rail in front and finger grooves on the front strap while the Gen 2 doesn't. Gen 4 has the short frame grip and add-on backstraps and is not approved for sale in CA yet.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #9

Here's a picture of three generations of Glocks, left to right: Gen 3 G27, Gen 4 G23 and Gen 2 G22. A larger Gen 3 would have a light rail like the Gen4 in the middle, but the small G27 doesn't.

______

Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

Gen3 it is then. My 19 has the rails but I was confused with the type of grips - I knew it didn't have the rough textured stuff like the one on the right (gen2).