New G17... Jam on discharge.?.? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G17... Jam on discharge.?.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Some of the new Gen 4 glock 17's had a recoil spring problem, since its not limp wristing... its more then likely your recoil spring, Glock will fix it just contact them.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callawayken View Post
Quentin, It is a Gen 3
Didn't expect that. Thought for sure it was going to be a Gen 4.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #23

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I guess now you're going to have to figure out if weak ammo is causing weak extraction or if you need an older style extractor.

Some people are putting in Lone Wolf extractors which are basically old style Glock extractors, not the Gen 4 type that are used in recent Glocks, even Gen 3s. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Some people are shortening the ejector with varying success. Glock of course will not recommend this so you may want to deal with them first. I don't know if there's a new RSA for Gen 3, like there is for Gen 4.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 AM   #24

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

[QUOTE="Callawayken"]Haven't cleaned it, but will due to your advise. Not to question you, but brand new out of the box require cleaning too??

I don't know if anyone really answered this question for you but...when Glock ships a gun they put this special grease in it to prevent it from rusting. It's a copper colored residue that dust, lint etc etc sticks to it very easy. Most manufacturers do this I believe. My Ruger LC9 I purchased recently was covered in oil/grease. It took quite awhile to clean. Sorry about your problems, but I do believe this to be more of an ammo problem. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING ABOUT WINCHESTER WHITE BOX YOU BUY AT WAL MART! EXAMINE EVERY ROUND BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE MAGAZINE. I have had several boxes of wwb I bought that about 1 round out of every 2-3 boxes have a defect. Most recently the problem is the crimping of the bullet on the casing. It gets pressed in too hard causing a lip in the top of the casing. My friend had the same thing happen to him shooting his Sigma 9. Except he didn't catch it and the round got stuck in the barrel. Had to take it to the gunsmith. It ruined his feed ramp on his barrel. Too bad.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #25

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
QUOTE="Callawayken"]Haven't cleaned it, but will due to your advise. Not to question you, but brand new out of the box require cleaning too??

I don't know if anyone really answered this question for you but...when Glock ships a gun they put this special grease in it to prevent it from rusting. It's a copper colored residue that dust, lint etc etc sticks to it very easy. Most manufacturers do this I believe. My Ruger LC9 I purchased recently was covered in oil/grease. It took quite awhile to clean...
You're not supposed to remove that copper lube from a new Glock, they say to let it work in as you shoot the gun. So I'd do a very minimal cleaning of a NIB Glock before going to the range. Just be sure the barrel is unobstructed really, and maybe a few drops where the manual tells you, if it looks dry.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

You're not supposed to remove that copper lube from a new Glock, they say to let it work in as you shoot the gun. So I'd do a very minimal cleaning of a NIB Glock before going to the range. Just be sure the barrel is unobstructed really, and maybe a few drops where the manual tells you, if it looks dry.
I kinda had to with mine, it was thickly layered. Not like others I have seen

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #27

Default ammo?

I think too it may be the recoil system. I buy the cheapest ammo from wal-mart(12 bucks a box of 50) and my G23 eats every last one everytime I would clean the barrel first and if that doesnt work; call glock

Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #28

I made it to the range this morning... Winchester White Box = PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!

Thank goodness!!! I was really discouraged after all the research I did that Glock was "the best"!

Thank you all for the help!! Much Appreciated!! Especially as a new handgunner and member to the forum. Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #29

Good news.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good to know that it was just the ammunition, and not the firearm. How did she perform at the range this morning ?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp