New G17... Jam on discharge.?.? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New G17... Jam on discharge.?.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had a Springfield XD that hated those federal shells in the black and maroon box. Would jam like your talking about. I shoot winchester white box in everything now and they do find and dont dirty up the gun as bad

I Love my Pit Bull,
Punish the Deed not the Breed

Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 AM   #12

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Walmart's Federal Champion 9mm works great in all my 9mm pistols: Hi Power, FEG, Taurus and even a 1913 Luger. But I don't have a Glock in that caliber. Winchester white box works flawlessly too. Both brands work great in my two 40S&W Glocks.

Is your G17 a Gen4? You might need a lighter RSA so contact Glock and they should get you one or on the waiting list for one.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This is Stove Piping. Upon ejecting, the empty case is trapped by the slide as it moves forward and sticks straight up or out. Is this whats happening to you?

stovepipe.jpg  

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've personally never had a problem with the Federal ammo, but I haven't used it that frequently.

If the ammo doesn't solve your problem, there are a couple of other quick things to try. 1) Try the other magazine. 2) Have someone else shoot it.

If everyone, shooting different kinds of ammo, using every available magazine, has stovepipes, then it's the gun.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #15

I have used federal champion from walmart in my glock 26, 19 and my lc9 and I haven't had a single problem since using them about a year and a half ago (10000 rnds)

Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #16

Slinger, Yes. That is exactly what is happening.
Utf59, I have not tried the other mag, but did have another person shoot it. Same result.

I haven't tried new ammo yet (won't be able till end of week), but, hypathetically, what if it is not the ammo or mag and does prove to be a gun issue??? How is a warranty handled on a gun only (by the end of this week) one week old??? Does the retailer take it back to send to Glock and I'm out of a gun till whenever?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #17

I have had this problem once with my Glock 17 but it wasnt as bad as what you had to deal with, my problem was cheap ammo I cant recall what it was but I bought it at a drug store on the way to the range because it was a last min trip to the range and the only ammo I had was two mag's of Hydroshock "my 17 is my ccw" aside from that never had a problem with the 17. Now my Glock 30 catches up on some hollow points. My best advice would be to clean your weapon and try a dif ammo.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #18

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callawayken View Post
Slinger, Yes. That is exactly what is happening.
Utf59, I have not tried the other mag, but did have another person shoot it. Same result.

I haven't tried new ammo yet (won't be able till end of week), but, hypathetically, what if it is not the ammo or mag and does prove to be a gun issue??? How is a warranty handled on a gun only (by the end of this week) one week old??? Does the retailer take it back to send to Glock and I'm out of a gun till whenever?
Well definitely try another mag and different ammo first. If still a problem I'd talk to the dealer first but you'll probably have to call Glock. See below, you never acknowledged this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
...Is your G17 a Gen4? You might need a lighter RSA so contact Glock and they should get you one or on the waiting list for one.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quentin's right. Also make sure you clean your firearm very well prior to firing it again to make sure that was not the issue either.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #20

Quentin, It is a Gen 3