Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   New G17... Jam on discharge.?.? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/new-g17-jam-discharge-45747/)

Callawayken 07-25-2011 12:10 AM

New G17... Jam on discharge.?.?

Hello All,
I am brand new to this forum and fairly new to the hand gun world. Currently I own a S.A xdm .45, a PK 380 and just bought a brand new Glock 17. My question is on my new Glock.

I took this gun to the range and loaded in the very first 10 round mag. Shot once and it jammed on the discharge of the empty casing! Ok... New gun, needs a break in. So I thought. All 10 rounds... same outcome. After the very first mag of 10 rounds I was so disgusted I just put it away.

I am aware of "limp wristing" and tried several different grips. All resulting in the same thing. I bought the Glock for what I have always heard being the best reliable and 20,000 plus hand gun out there. Please help!! I do not wish to send 20,000 + rounds through this gun one at a time.

Also, is it this typ of jamming thats commenly called "stove piping"?

THANKS FOR THE HELP !!

Firearms4ever 07-25-2011 12:13 AM

Did you clean the firearm prior to shooting it, and did you try various types of ammunition? It could be just the ammunition or it not being cleaned well.

Callawayken 07-25-2011 12:16 AM

Haven't cleaned it, but will due to your advise. Not to question you, but brand new out of the box require cleaning too??

Also will try different ammo. Was using Federal 9mm.

Firearms4ever 07-25-2011 12:21 AM

It's a good idea to clean any firearm after you purchase it, because that way you will get any dirt particles and alike off the firearm from being handle in the store, and you will be lubricating it which will help it function more effectively/properly.

It would not suprise me if the ammunition was the cause of it, because Federal 9mm tends to be on the weaker side of 9mm ammunition which can cause the round to not cycle the slide properly.

Gatoragn 07-25-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callawayken (Post 549242)
Haven't cleaned it, but will due to your advise. Not to question you, but brand new out of the box require cleaning too??

Also will try different ammo. Was using Federal 9mm.

Yes, always run a patch through barrel, just to be sure. Also make sure the gun has proper lubrication.

Get some Winchester in the white box at Walmart & give it another go.

I have had two different Glocks a 22 and a 17, both ran what I fed them. I use a lot of Federal shotgun and rifle, but have yet to use their pistol ammo for range use.

Callawayken 07-25-2011 12:22 AM

Great!! I 'll be purchasing some new ammo tomorrow then! Any recomendations?
Winchester in the white box it is! Thanks guys!!!

Gatoragn 07-25-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callawayken (Post 549249)
Great!! I 'll be purchasing some new ammo tomorrow then! Any recomendations?

Winchester white box range ammo, Blazer, PMC.

Firearms4ever 07-25-2011 12:26 AM

I would recommend Winchester White box, American Eagle, Fiocchi, or S&B.

Callawayken 07-25-2011 12:33 AM

I've used Blazer Brass in the XDM .45 with no problems, so its good to hear you reccomend this as well. Thanks again!

Gatoragn 07-25-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callawayken (Post 549257)
I've used Blazer Brass in the XDM .45 with no problems, so its good to hear you reccomend this as well. Thanks again!

I have used the Blazer aluminum also, saves a few pennies per round.