New to forum, new to Glocks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > New to forum, new to Glocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to forum, new to Glocks

Hey guys,

I just picked up a G27 last week, my first gun. I love the thing, have had it on me just about every day, except for when I'm going to class. When I got it I was so excited to pick it up that I completely forgot to pick up gun lube/cleaning solutions etc. but I went to Walmart, picked up a box of 250 Remington MegaPacks on Monday and shot 200 of them through. I've read some places that you don't need to clean them, I've read other people admit they over-do it. Any tips for some basic cleaning steps, I know that the beauty of these is that they aren't high maintenance. Thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Any gun, including a Glock will benefit from regular cleaning and lubrication. Personally, I clean mine after each trip to the range as I can't bear to put away a dirty gun.

I use Hoppes #9 as the cleaner and Mobil One synthetic as my oil of choice. There are a ton of options out there and others will be along soon with their recommendations.

Welcome to the site and it's good manners to post a thread in the intro section...

Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the FTF.

I like my guns like my women.

I want them clean before I use them again.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to FTF. Ditto what NGIB wrote, keep your weapons clean and go intro yourself in the intro section for all to see.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #5

I strongly suggest that you clean your guns each and every time you use them. It will keep them in much better shape that way.

I love the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Welcome to the FTF.

I like my guns like my women.

I want them clean before I use them again.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #6

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

ktreem :
If you don't clean a gun, the deposits bond all the more and are harder to remove.

I've had good luck cleaning a Glock with G96 Gun Treatment. I spray it onto all the metal parts and let everything soak for maybe 15 minutes. I brush the bore with a bore brush and use a Kleenbore nylon " toothbrush " on everything else. I use brushing and wet patches in the bore until it is clean. I wipe the other parts with a rag or piece of an old T-shirt. To get the nooks and crannies, I wrap a patch around the small end of my "toothbrush". I wipe the gun as dry as I can. Then I lube the 6 prescribed spots with fresh G96. This procedure leaves a thin film of oil to protect against rust. If oil gets into the firing pin tunnel, it is wise to flush it out with a degreaser like Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. The degreaser can also be used to remove any oily film from the polymer frame for better gripping.

NGIB :
Do you mean you use Mobil One motor oil on guns ? I'd imagine that the detergent in motor oil might catch and hold dirt.

I'd rather use a low-viscosity purpose-built gun oil like FP-100 or BreakFree CLP ( or the above-discussed G-96.
Here are links to vids on cleaning and lubing Glocks :

Cleaning Guns

James Yeager Glock Lube #2

Glock Lube #1

Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktreem16 View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up a G27 last week, my first gun. I love the thing, have had it on me just about every day, except for when I'm going to class. When I got it I was so excited to pick it up that I completely forgot to pick up gun lube/cleaning solutions etc. but I went to Walmart, picked up a box of 250 Remington MegaPacks on Monday and shot 200 of them through. I've read some places that you don't need to clean them, I've read other people admit they over-do it. Any tips for some basic cleaning steps, I know that the beauty of these is that they aren't high maintenance. Thanks guys!
When you say you carry it everywhere, please don't tell me you are carrying it concealed. The only reason I ask is that not being familiar with a weapon especially not having ever shot it is dangerous to you and everyone else. If I misunderstood, I apologize I'm not trying to flame you. However there is a population of people who will carry a pistol they have never shot (even ones who have never shot a pistol) because it's "cool." Then in some circumstances they get themselves hurt due to false sense of security.

Take care and be safe.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 AM   #8

I've used G96 Gun Treatment for 20+ years...cleans, lubricates, and penetrates.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #9

count me with the crowd who does not feel the need to obsessively clean my plastic pistols after using them....
My Glock 38 and 39 get used often....I will run 50/100/200 rounds through them, reload, holster and go right back to work. Then I do it again...and again....and maybe again.....
eventually will will shoot some gunscrubber or whatever I have laying around down the barrel, wipe of the breechface, clean out some crud if there is any, relube, reassemble and start all over again...
on my Glocks I use grease on the slide rails, and make sure there is a small wipe of it on the connector, and on the slide in front of the ejector port.....
I don't worry about the finish, keep it from getting wet, or worry about it....

now, my blue steel handguns get a lot more TLC...my Smith 49 that rides backup for me gets a wipedown every nite, and I wax it about once every two weeks....but even with that, I don't feel the need to clean it every time I pull the trigger

Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #10

Default G37

I just bought a nice G37 police trade-in w/ NS and three mags for $359 shipped. Have been curious about the .45 GAP and wanted to check it out for myself. Also got some ammo at a Houston gun show today...not cheap, but none is these days,

How do you like the 38 and 39? I have a 24, two 35's, a 31, and 33...and decided I'd try one of the 37's.

There are more available at that price in anyone is interested.