Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Need opinions on updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need opinions on updates

I recently bought a new Glock 19 and will be taking my CCW class next week. They say that 80% of home invasions happen at night and I would like to upgrade my Glock for this situation. My first thought was for a laser system. Then I was told that the person also knows where you are by following the beam back to you. Then I thought about night sights. But even though you know where your aiming you don't want to shoot at a shadow, it could be family. So then I was told to buy a tactical light. When you turn it on, it will cause temporary blindness and you will know who you are dealing with. So now, I'm thinking about either a tactical light or light with laser or light with night sights. I would like to hear your opinions on my thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure your light is atleast 65 lumens. It takes that much to disorient someone, especially well when their nightvision is already activated. They also make strobe lights availiable, this is best imo.

Get rid of the glock, go with a 12guage.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

i have a glock 19 with a internal laser. i love it. but for home defense get a mossberg 12 gauge.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

And you can put a light/laser on the twelve guage. That's what I grab when somthing goes bump in the night.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #5

While i agree that a shotgun would be best, I have to be careful because of my grandkids and this is why I decided on a handgun that I could lock in the closet in a safe. So I still need your opinions on upgrades for the Glock.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glock markets a tactical light-laser combo for around $250.00. This is the best I found yet. Putting one on my Mod 22.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2687 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

IMHO lasers are one of the most useless additions to a handgun. I have seen numerous people try to shoot with a laser. They spend a lot of time chasing the dot around and end up jerking the shot off target anyway.

A good light will enable you to ID your target to insure you are not accidentally shooting a family member or the drunk neighbor who entered the wrong house.
Please don't misinterpret this to mean your drunk neighbor cannot be a home invasion offender.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #8

I have a light on my 19 and works great .Better than the laser to ID intruder and temp blind them. You can always turn off the light so you won't be seen. +1 for the shotgun as home defence also. I got one of those close by also.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
MGH

My old roomate and I would practice with home invasion and clearing a house in the dark. We tried all kinds of diffrent light variations. We found a stobe light disoriented the perp. longer than a regular light.
Remember they will try to shoot at the light, being its the only thing they can see on you. Practice clearing a house with that in mind.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #10

i agree with the strobe light being the way to go. streamlight makes a good light that will strobe or stay steady on. also remember to use some kind of home defense ammo if there are family members in other rooms. you dont want to g rip through a wall and hit a family member.