Which Model Glock - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Which Model Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
if u want a CCW weapon DONT GET A GLOCK
there is no safty
now trust me i love glock and h8 2 bad mouth them but get something diff if u want a good side arm for your safty and ours plz
I have to strongly disagree with that statement. Glocks make perfect concealed carry weapons. Just because it doesn't have a manual safety doesn't make them any less safe than any other weapon. Are you going to advise the OP to not get a revolver as well? There's no manual safety on those either. As long as you have it in a holster that covers the trigger guard you have nothing to worry about. Glocks are very safe and more importantly VERY RELIABLE. I've been CCW a Glock 23 for over a year and haven't had a bit of a problem or even a hint of it being unsafe. It only goes bang when I press the trigger and that's exactly what I want.

Fireman

Fireman

Carrying either a Glock 23 or Glock 30. Both w/ TruGlo TFO and each resides in it's own Comp-Tac C-TAC holster. Go Huskers!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
I have to strongly disagree with that statement. Glocks make perfect concealed carry weapons. Just because it doesn't have a manual safety doesn't make them any less safe than any other weapon. Are you going to advise the OP to not get a revolver as well? There's no manual safety on those either. As long as you have it in a holster that covers the trigger guard you have nothing to worry about. Glocks are very safe and more importantly VERY RELIABLE. I've been CCW a Glock 23 for over a year and haven't had a bit of a problem or even a hint of it being unsafe. It only goes bang when I press the trigger and that's exactly what I want.

Fireman
well i hope we all saw the vid of the cop that shot him self while doing a demo at a school?!?!
Now that sed have you been in a life or death situation (never hope I have to be) in that high level of stress most people just react putting there true safety there finger on the trigger b4 having there target in the site possibly shooting some thing other than the target
Now i carry a Glock 22 and dont keep it chambered for safety reasons i stated b4 which poses another problem of having 2 cock the weapon which is another problem in a life or death senerio!?!?!
on the other hand my Ruger p90 has a thumb safety and can b carried well chambered with no thought of accidental discharge
and if u dont trust me remember opinions are like a55 holes i have 1 to lol

just if u haven't seen the vid here it is and this is a glock he is in the DEA and i could point out many flaws with his handling of his side arm they should have let me train this fool

Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #43

I've seen the video many times and that agent broke many of the cardinal rules of firearm safety. His finger was on the trigger without a valid target and his muzzle was pointed at something he did not intend to destroy. Whether his firearm had a manual safety or not he still broke those rules. What I'm trying to say is that if he had followed those rules that incident never would have happened. A manual safety does mean you can disregard the 4 safety rules. It is as simple as that. He made those mistakes and paid the price.

Fireman

Fireman

Carrying either a Glock 23 or Glock 30. Both w/ TruGlo TFO and each resides in it's own Comp-Tac C-TAC holster. Go Huskers!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #44

well you see my point than all im trying to say is that a glock is for more well rounded shooter you saw how this well trained dude in a non threatening situation acted so if a person like you or I had a violent situation in front of us how we could easily make the same if not worse mistakes! My advice is to always start out with some thing more safe some thing that will help them go through the motions of self defence

HERE in AZ the community collages offer classes that range from CCW to tactical pistol classes , they also offer rifle classes
For some real training look here
http://www.blackwaterusa.com/
http://www.teexwmdcampus.com/

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #45

I have a G22 and love it. I have been thinking about a G23 just because of the size. I also sometimes CC my S&W 9mm Sigma. Any handgun that feels good and you like to shoot is a good choice. everyone is different.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
Hey i would personally stay away from Glock, i know a lot of people swear by them, and there are so many LEO who carry them because they are department issued, and i have heard the arguments on the torture test done on Glocks, but I think they are garbage. If you want the best go SIG .... Blah, blah, blah!
That's it! Try not to hold anything back; and, just let it all come spewing out!

Like SIG hasn't produced plenty of their own junk! Why do you think that many LEO agencies pull their SIG pistols off the streets before they're 5 years old, send them back to the factory to be, 'rebuilt', and then pass these well used (and well stressed) frames onto unsuspecting civilians who think SIG makes nothing but the best?

By the way, have you taken a good look at SIG quality control lately? So, what'd ya think! Ever used a magnifying glass around the frame holes, or checked out any of the roll pins? Kind 'a hard to do after one has snapped in half or worked its way out of the pistol - huh!

And how about that new SIG, 'Mosquito'? Fantastic, isn't it! (Well named, too.)

Quote:
Springfield just took the Glock and made it better.
Oh, please, cut me a break! The altitude of the XD's bore axis is sooo ... high that, if I'm not real careful, I get dizzy while firing one. Springfield, also, charges you more than $150.00 to provide the same, 'combat tuned trigger reset' (What they call it.) that comes standard on every Glock.

Me, personally? I don't know any law enforcement personnel who carry the XD for self-defense. (Yes, I'm positive that somewhere out there in, 'South Boondock, Wherever', there must be a department or departments who do; but, like I said, I don't know any.) I do, however, know plenty of shooters who are thoroughly enamored with the Springfield XD; but, so what?

Here's my own 5 year old, tried and true, piece-of-junk Glock. I'd put it up against any combat sidearm in the world; and, I personally guarantee that it won't so much as hiccup - Period.

And, please, in the future don't make it so difficult for me to have to read through one of these threads - OK!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #47

Not done yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
well i hope we all saw the vid of the cop that shot him self while doing a demo at a school?!?!
OK, I've got to ask: What does a confused, class A, gun foo like Lee Paige have to do with the, 'Glock Fo-Tee' being either unsafe or an inferior combat weapon?

I give up! Go ahead and tell me.

Quote:
I've seen the video many times and that agent broke many of the cardinal rules of firearm safety. His finger was on the trigger without a valid target and his muzzle was pointed at something he did not intend to destroy. Whether his firearm had a manual safety or not he still broke those rules. What I'm trying to say is that if he had followed those rules that incident never would have happened. A manual safety does mean you can disregard the 4 safety rules. It is as simple as that. He made those mistakes and paid the price.
Fireman, while I respect your opinion and what you have said is technically correct, the remarks aren’t quite (literally) true. That ND never would have happened if – and only if - DEA Agent Lee Paige had been properly trained as a firearms instructor by an organization like the NRA.

First, he should NEVER have had LIVE AMMUNITION inside that auditorium while he was demonstrating firearms. However, his biggest mistake is one that is very common to law enforcement personnel, and easy for any officer who’s around loaded firearms all day to make:

If you look closely at the original video, (not the later heavily edited ones) you’ll notice that Agent Paige committed the unforgivable mistake of returning a loaded magazine to the weapon immediately after he and another agent cleared and verified it as being empty – Duh!

Quote:
…. Are you going to advise the OP to not get a revolver as well? There's no manual safety on those either. As long as you have it in a holster that covers the trigger guard you have nothing to worry about. Glocks are very safe and more importantly VERY RELIABLE. I've been CCW a Glock 23 for over a year and haven't had a bit of a problem or even a hint of it being unsafe. It only goes bang when I press the trigger and that's exactly what I want.
One last thing: While we’re - more or less - on the same page you need to review the very real differences between a Glock's pretensioned striker firing system, and a double action revolver's trigger mechanism. No way is the Glock’s so-called, ‘Safe-Action’ trigger anywhere near as safe – or unlikely to accidentally discharge - as a conventional 12 1/2# double action trigger – No way!

Finally, as the old range officer once told me, (He was a man who had spent more than 25 years working, everyday, on public firing lines.) ‘You can bet on one thing: The last firearm on the line that you’ll have trouble with will be the Glocks!’ Then he added; ‘And the first automatic to go down will always be a Smith & Wesson!’

Hmmm …. Do you think he might have been right? I wonder!

Last edited by G21.45; 06-02-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #48

Glocks are junk? Wow! Somebody must have been living under a rock for the last 20 years. They're ugly and don't have the smooth trigger of a 1911, but they shoot straight and are extremely reliable. Guns are tools and what more could you ask for in a good tool. I own many Glocks and carry one every day at work. I've shot the XD and must admit I like the trigger better, but I'll still take the Glock with it's 20 year track record of trouble free performance.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post
After being flamed by 1911 people, I finally realized that I am just not smart enough to keep a 1911 pistol running without jamming constantly.

A friend took me to the range and made me shoot an ugly, square thing he called a "Glock" 17. No jams. No levers to remember, no half cock, no cocked and locked, no trying to find a magazine that would work.... it just worked. Over and over, with repeatable results.

That was the 1980's. I bought a Glock 17. Then a Glock 21. Then ... well, you get the picture. To date, I have had no jams, no misfires, no bad magazines. And I have spent exactly ZERO on modifications and repairs.

I shoot often, and still don't regret my conversion to the Glock side.

Probably the best post I have seen. I have had many many pistols over the years, good quality pistols. While I have never had any problems with the Brownings, Springfields, Rugers, Colts, or others, the Glock is what I have chosen to carry and consistently keep. I can't understand the fellows post a few back that said "Don't buy a Glock." Maybe they don't work for him. I know there are many different quality guns available that will do a great job.

For me and my overall use, the Glock 19 has to be the best pistol made. The only modification I have done to my three are Trijicon sights, which really are a neccessity in my opinion (not Trijicon, but some type of tritium sights). The second best would have to be the 30, only second best because the grip fits less people than the 19. Both fit me great, and I can consistently shoot very accurately in combat training conditions with either. If you like .45, and want to carry concealed but have a great firearm, get a 30 or 30 SF. If you are average height and frame, like 9mm, get a 19. If you like .40, (which I don't) get a 23.
Good luck, enjoy.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #50

its all about the glock 23 perfect for carry home self defense enough knock down the whole package. hell the FBI use them...