Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Which Model Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Model Glock

What model Glock do you all recommend for CHL purposes?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonald View Post
What model Glock do you all recommend for CHL purposes?
That's not an easy question to answer. It depends on your body size, type of clothing you wear, activity level, size of hands etc. Can you post more information?

Also what caliber are you looking for? If you're not sure, I would recommend something like a .40 or even a .45. I'm pretty partial to a .40 myself however.

Let me know the above questions and I'd be happy to direct you towards a piece.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #3

Default As above.

If you are looking for a full size, reasonable caliber, you are going to find the Glock .40 and 9 mm frames fit your hand much better. The full size .45
(model 21) is a handful, and those with small hands have a hard time getting a good trigger pull. If you go 9 mm the model 19 is eminently concealable and controllable and can still carry up to 17 rounds ( if you live in an American state, not a People's Republic Of ). There is a new Glock .45 out now that is supposed to have a trimmer grip with the same firepower.

As noted above, you can't go wrong with a Glock .40.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

First pick a caliber. For CCW the Glock 26 is the most popular choice in their line, I prefer the 19 however. The best advice I can give you is to find a range that has rentals, or a friend with Glocks so you may shoot/handle as many models as possible befor you commit to buying one. I bought a G30 without having shot one before, and was disapointed to find that I couldnt shoot it very well at all. What works for one person does not always work for others. Whatever model you decide on rest assured Glock has earned their reputation for reliablity.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #5

I've owned six various Glocks now and the 19 was my favorite both in ease of shooting and feel of the gun.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #6

If you are not dead set on a Glock. I would suggest a SIG 229 40 cal. I own both Glock and SIG. For me the SIG is a much better fit and I am more comfortable shooting the SIG. Its a matter of personal preferance both manufactures make excellent guns

Old 04-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #7

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I'm not a Glock Guy, but as stated above, You need to shoot a few and decide for yourself. A Sig is also a great handgun, but the factors that make one better than another are dictated by the shooter. You need to try as many as possible, and in different calibers. Jim

Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #8

Hey i would personally stay away from Glock, i know a lot of people swear by them, and there are so many LEO who carry them because they are department issued, and i have heard the arguments on the torture test done on Glocks, but I think they are garbage. If you want the best go SIG, but i have found that being that the SIG is so heavy, and they are quite expensive, and as nice of a sidearm/service weapon as it is, i dont find its practical for concealed carry. If you are fond of the Glock look and style and want a weapon that will blow you away, that is light and easy to handle and quite accurate and has a very good customer service rapport, go with the Springfield XD. I talked about 12 guys out of Glock last week and into a Springfield XD, even a woman who was looking for something for personal protection and had a revolver waiting to be picked up, talked her into the XD as well. I carry a 4 inch service model, and its wonderful, accurate, light and dead on. Go check one out, the 4 inch may not be for you, though I carry it concealed without a problem. They make a 3 inch version, which still has the capability of carrying the same amount of rounds in the magazine as the full size models. Seriously, go with the Springfield, and if you arent sure, go to a gun store and talk to a FFL dealer, but make sure you talk to more then one so that you get a good assessment as to the weapon from more then one source, Springfield just took the Glock and made it better. And if you ever have a problem or a defect, they dont ask you any questions, they get you what you need right away, didnt have that with Glock, it was a major hassle with them. I was happy when departments started changing from Glock to Kimber and Ruger and Beretta, the Glock is not as dependable as so many Glock fans would have you believe, i would never carry one as a duty weapon, and I would never carry one for personal protection. There are a lot of LEO's who feel the same way. Before I even considered law enforcement as a career, it was other law enforcement officers who warned me to qualify as soon as i could with my own weapon, because the Glock was not reliable. Go to a gun shop with a range that offers the ability to fire both a Glock and an XD, and you will immediately see the difference. That's how I got 12 people to change their minds from Glock to XD. I was actually looking at picking up an HK USP Compact, and was repulsed by the grip of the handle, fired it then thought I would take a shot at the XD, fired it, and went downstairs immediately and bought an XD, and this was after having just spent $1200 bucks on a SIG. Go XD, check out the Springfield Armory website and read up on it. XD is a good choice, better then Glock in my opinion.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #9

lol that was great a "brick with a trigger", never heard that before, lol. that was the highlight of my day, thanks.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Stay away from the Glock 30 though. I had one. It was jam-prone and felt like a brick with a trigger.

Hmmm.... I've tried a bunch of different ammo, light and heavy bullets, FMJ and JHP, standard pressure and +P, and I haven't had a single malfunction in my "brick with a trigger". Granted I only got it a month ago and only have 1k rounds through it but it still hasn't failed me. I have a G23 as well. Same problem. Just won't malfunction no matter what I feed it. I really love my G30. I guess I'm the only one with these "problems".

Fireman