Manual Safety Kit for Glock - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Manual Safety Kit for Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have been dealing with this issue with my g23. I now use the safe-t-block and it works fine, and when the screw is out enough it does stay behind the trigger nicely. I have learned the finger does not go on the trigger until its time to shoot. I also leave 'one in the hole' because I do not want to have to take the time to pull one up nor do I want to alert the person I am needing an armed weapon to deal with. Lots of opinions on all this, just saying this is how I go. But I feel one cannot be too safe when it comes to firearms so a safety feature would be a nice option especailly considering the safety block will fall out with some holsters. Anyway, I was at the gunshow yesterday with a couple of certified glock smiths there. They will install the sidearm trigger for just the cost of the parts, but they state fimrly that there are way too many mods that have to be done using the commonolli.com product.

just sayin.....

Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Hey, it's Jager the Troll. If you wanted a polymer gun with a safety, then just buy an HK USP. The external safety kind of defeats the purpose of the Glock concept and its internal safety devices. Sorry, just keeping it real.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #13

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

Sweet now i can buy a glock and feel good about it I have to have a thumb safety just don't feel safe without one I often tell people id but one if they made a thumb safety guess I have to now lol

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you want a thumb safety buy something other than a glock. The 3 built in safeties should be enough for anybody that handles a gun properly.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Isn't this like buying an AK and then trying to convert it to DI?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

No, its like taking your car or bike and modifing it to suit your particular tastes.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #17

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts

Agree. Why would a safety mod differ from stippling, sights, trigger, or any other modification? It's all about personal preference.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #18

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

It seems that glock fan boys can not comprehend why any one in their right mind would want to change the most reliable and perfect design to come out of hand guns since well ever!:rollseyes

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

To me it is adding something that is not needed. Would be about the same as removing the safety off of a 1911.

It is your gun so do as you please with it. But I am also able to disagree with it.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

The 1911 was originally designed without a thumb safety. The US Army wanted the feature, so it was added. You can visit the museum in Ogden, Utah to see the original prototype if there is any doubt about this.

The Tokarev was a made-for-combat copy of Mr. Browning's now famous pistol. It lacked a "safety" device of any kind.

If you accidentally disengage the safety while holstering/unholstering the weapon or forget to engage it before re-holstering, what's the difference between a weapon with or without a thumb lever safety?

If you can't remember to take your finger out of the trigger guard or permit things that might actuate the trigger to come into contact with it, then you're really not increasing your "safety" (mythical concept, but apparently very real to some people).

Putting a mechanical device in a pistol that changes its manual of arms and method of operation is inadvisable, but I'm sure that won't stop anyone from doing it.

I stopped worrying about thumb safety levers after several experiences driving with a 1911 during which the lever was disengaged. Luckily, the pistol remained in the holster, the leather holster was pretty stiff, and nothing came into contact with the trigger. My takeaway from those experiences was that having a rigid holster that completely covers the trigger is a really good idea and if your thumb safety works properly that's great, but don't count on it.

I carry a Glock now, use a kydex holster, and before I re-holster the pistol I make sure there's nothing obstructing the holster. If I can't trust myself to take prudent precautions to prevent a ND, like not pulling the trigger unless I intend to fire, why should anyone else trust me to carry a gun?

If having that little "safety" lever there is more important than having a weapon that goes bang when you pull the trigger, then why bother with a Glock?

There's no mechanical device that will ever replace prudent gun handling and you can't spend any amount of money or buy any product that will "make you safe".