Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lube

A friend of mine was telling me that I needed to lube the gun so it would operate more smoothly and be less prone to failure/jamming etc. He was recommending something called Metrotex or something close to that, I'm not sure what.

My father taught me to clean the my guns meticulously with good cleaner, but we never lubricated anything...of course this was always hunting rifles, and it may be different for semi-auto pistols. If someone could enlighten me on whether Glocks need this, and if so, what's a good product to look for, I'd appreciate it.

Also, what are the benefits/drawbacks/considerations to using lube?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
A friend of mine was telling me that I needed to lube the gun so it would operate more smoothly and be less prone to failure/jamming etc. He was recommending something called Metrotex or something close to that, I'm not sure what.

My father taught me to clean the my guns meticulously with good cleaner, but we never lubricated anything...of course this was always hunting rifles, and it may be different for semi-auto pistols. If someone could enlighten me on whether Glocks need this, and if so, what's a good product to look for, I'd appreciate it.

Also, what are the benefits/drawbacks/considerations to using lube?

Yes, it needs lube. Read the manual.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #3

A major cause of problems with Glocks is improper lubrication, primarily over-lubrication. Glocks need very little lube in order to function properly.

A good guide to lubing the Glock can be found at http://glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml.

One point that I want to emphasize is the statement that reads:

Quote:
The most important drop of oil is placed where the trigger bar and connector meet. Failure to properly lubricate the junction of the trigger bar and connector can lead to premature wear and a very heavy trigger pull.
If you never lube any other location on the Glock, be sure to periodially put one drop - and no more than one - at this location.

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #4

All guns need lubrication. Lubrication should be "felt but not seen". The same holds true for Glock pistols. Wipe off any excess and a single drop on the "cross" where the trigger bar and connector meet.